WHAT IS A STABLE MAP SIZE ?

Pages: 1
To Elaborate a little more to my Question from the title, I started to make a Project on RPG Maker MV, in it I had Maps in the Size of 256x256, but after putting just some events in (Below 100) and using some plugins like day night cycle, calendar, seasons etc. the frame rate dropped pretty bad to like 5-10fps. Now with RPG Maker MZ I deceided to redo it (Having Layers is Godsend for a Graphic designer). But this time I would like to avoid getting framedrops, but I do need Big Maps to work with my Gameplay. So what would be the most stable or save Map size ?
I think the biggest map I ever did was 150x150 in VXA and that didn't cause too much trouble. But it was just a world map and there weren't really any events on it besides teleport tiles so there was very little slowdown, if any.

For maps with moving events, lots of parallel processes, etc, I usually keep them under 50x50 nowadays. Maybe 75x75 being the absolute limit.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=GaijinKaz
I do need Big Maps to work with my Gameplay.

Why tho?
author=Sgt M
I think the biggest map I ever did was 150x150 in VXA and that didn't cause too much trouble. But it was just a world map and there weren't really any events on it besides teleport tiles so there was very little slowdown, if any.

For maps with moving events, lots of parallel processes, etc, I usually keep them under 50x50 nowadays. Maybe 75x75 being the absolute limit.

Ouch 50x50 is really small, I use 2 tiles big Sprites alone from that maps have to be bigger anyway.
author=Sooz
author=GaijinKaz
I do need Big Maps to work with my Gameplay.
Why tho?

I do make a Big City like New York for example. It should be 4 big maps on which the whole game plays out, it has a game mechanic in which u gotta tail people to find out some Infos like a Detective. having to move over and over to other maps is kinda immersive breaking and would be annoying.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I am just going to say, if "immersion" is your goal, a grid-based SNES-era JRPG engine is probably not your best choice.
author=Sooz
I am just going to say, if "immersion" is your goal, a grid-based SNES-era JRPG engine is probably not your best choice.

I think you can make a 2D game immersive. That being said I could try going with unity but at the same time I gotta be realistic. Im a one Man show and using an engine like Rpg Maker does take a lot of work of my shoulder plus there are a lot of great scripts already available, so that in the end I can focus more on my Story and art I will add to the game.

Anyway I moved on with 150x150 for now, if it ends up still to be to big, its easier to cut down because of the layers that are available to me this time around
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
try to divide these huge maps into section and give each section a personality. You don't need slums and market square on a single map.
That said, huge maps weren't a problem in VX ace, but the newer engines are far more demanding, because of higher resolution and because of plugins being an external solution. XXL sprites of yours are many times more demanding than 32x32 sprites (check sizes of files).
Also, I think some events might cause more troubles than others. If you want a big map, try to make your eventing as clear as possible and try to make it smooth before you start adding plugins.
author=Cap_H
try to divide these huge maps into section and give each section a personality. You don't need slums and market square on a single map.
That said, huge maps weren't a problem in VX ace, but the newer engines are far more demanding, because of higher resolution and because of plugins being an external solution. XXL sprites of yours are many times more demanding than 32x32 sprites (check sizes of files).
Also, I think some events might cause more troubles than others. If you want a big map, try to make your eventing as clear as possible and try to make it smooth before you start adding plugins.

Instead of the usual 42x42 I made mine 84x42, thx for the Advice I keep that in mind. Most of my frame drops started when I used TerraxLighting and Mog TimeSystem. Maybe I should just event that stuff instead
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Yeah, lighting script might be quite demanding on a larger map. I would recommend to create overlays instead, especially if you only have four maps total.
author=Cap_H
Yeah, lighting script might be quite demanding on a larger map. I would recommend to create overlays instead, especially if you only have four maps total.

I also used 1920x1080, that could also have added to the Problems XD, Yeah I think thats the route I gotta go most likely. Thou I will still try it 1st on my new smaller map, that lightning script just looks to good hehe
I use touch encounters and some of my maps are at around 90x70 with no real lag issues. (MZ)
author=Antilurker77
I use touch encounters and some of my maps are at around 90x70 with no real lag issues. (MZ)

Thx for the Info, gonna share my up to date situation as well, for others that might be curious.

My 1st map is 150x150 with no events so far but with over 1500 Doodads on it XD
I use Community Lightning and I common event my Clock and Date with pitures on my Screen and so far everything is Stable, no framedrops. Thou it does take 1-2 seconds to load a map if I move to it.
Pages: 1