ZELDA SERIES - WOULD I LIKE THEM?

Pages: 1
I'm trying to find some new games to play on my Switch but I find it very hard to find games I actually end up liking.

I've played the original NES Zelda and I found it extremely hard and confusing, dropped in the middle of nowhere with no clue what to do. I know that games back then were extremely hard compared to what they are now.

When was the point that they started to become easier in difficulty? I generally play games more for fun than for a challenge.

If there are other ideas for games outside of the Zelda series, please mention those as well. Below is a list of games that I do enjoy playing.

Final Fantasy (I - XII
Chrono Trigger
Stardew Valley
Any Pokemon Game (Mainline or Spin-off), I've already got Pokemon Shield, Let's Go Eevee, and Mystery Dungeon DX
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Commander Keen Episodes 4 - 5 (Has to have in-level saving)
Grandia
Western RPGs (Not Skyrim, I've played it too many times)
Puzzle games like Mousecraft (used to play Lemmings years ago)

It gets much much easier at LTTP and then on. LoZ1 and 2 are weird black sheep prototypes compared to the rest of the series. Though I would say Wind Waker is the perfect entry point since the N64 Zeldas are bit clunky for various reasons (Mainly Majora just because it's central mechanic takes getting used to). The gamecube/wii Zeldas will hold your hand onwards until arguably it gets to Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild (and even then they have nothing on LoZ 1).

Lately the Zelda series is trending towards creating the feeling of not always knowing what you're doing and tackling challenges in different orders. But there is a strength in streamlining the experience IMO, in that the design is carefully considered throughout and there's less chances of straying too far into a muddled experience that can't be predicted by the designers.

Really the main pull of Zelda (from LTTP to Skyward Sword) is a good, well made, substantial dungeon with a lot of challenges/puzzles to solve in each room and making your way through it. Usually the puzzle solving is very light but there are a lot of good highlights like when the dungeon itself beomes a puzzle and I think would be the main draw if you're into that stuff. BOTW just sort of drops the ball on that whole thing by having the puzzle stuff very bite sized and ehhhh but it has way more of a focus to its open world than anything else.

I haven't even mentioned the handheld Zeldas (aside from Between Worlds) but they're probably on the level of LTTP's difficulty/design flow if memory serves right.
Hi Darken

Thanks for the response. Like I said, I'd only played the first one, and found it too difficult. Seems like I'll enjoy LTTP and onwards.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I've only played the original and Link to the Past, and I will say LttP is THE FUCKING BOMB. Highly recommend it. Excellent fun.

Edit: Man, now I want to go play it again lol
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Oh, yeah. Don't start with Majora's Mask. It's great, but its main mechanic isn't exactly programmed perfectly which leads to it doing some really cheap and unfair bullshit.

I do disagree that ALL the N64 Zelda games are bad starting points. Ocarina of Time doesn't have that have the BS problem Majora's Mask has and there's a reason that to this day, a lot of Zelda fans consider the N64 entries to be the best two of all time.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=pianotm
there's a reason that to this day, a lot of Zelda fans consider the N64 entries to be the best two of all time.

Because those were the games they played as children? :V
The one advantage to OoT is that it's the most pure of the 3D Zeldas, untainted by gimmicks aside from being 3D and cleverly copy pasting LTTP's binary world. It's successors always have something holding it back like Windwaker's cut content / sailing (i will defend the sailing with my life), TP having the weird wolf/twilight mechanic and feeling drab in general. Skyward Sword... being Skyward Sword. I know Nintendo always has to have a marketable reason to make a sequel and their games do stand apart that way, but the drawback is that you don't have a vanilla/pure medieval fantasy of sword guy fighting evil guy. Instead you occasionally get.... sword guy on train fighting evil guy.

BOTW I think might be just as popular because it doesn't really have a central gimmick aside from the entire zelda template getting a makeover. This is all very surface level and less to do with inherent quality, but that's the impression I get.
I haven't really liked a Zelda since LttP on the SNES and maybe Phantom Hourglass on the DS. (the game that made me like Toon Link)

author=Sooz
author=pianotm
there's a reason that to this day, a lot of Zelda fans consider the N64 entries to be the best two of all time.
Because those were the games they played as children? :V

I have a sneaking suspicion suspect that one would have had to love Ocarina of Time 100% and to have beaten it in order to have even liked Majora's Mask on the N64.

I saw a youtube video recently explaining why the 3DS remake of MM is a downgrade in spite of the QoL improvements, but honestly, I wonder if the game is a train wreck regardless. The video made it sound like the whole reason MM was made was to milk the success of OoT. (although to its credit, it managed to succeed in doing that, and the result is probably far more memorable than what it would have been if it was simply a remixed version of OoT like was originally planned)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time

Prob good starting games.
My two cents is that the Oracle GBC games have the best puzzles and dungeon design in the whole series. Though I wouldn't play them before A Link to the Past or Link's Awakening.

Thankfully, those two are also great games and great starting points.
Pages: 1