HOWDY RPGMAKER!

Pages: 1
Howdy everyone! I'm very excited to be here, been thinking about doing something like this for quite a really good while.

To start things off with RPGMaker games, they've been a pretty big part of my childhood growing up, have gotten me through hard times, and has introduced me to tons of new music I've been delighted to keep listening to for ages on end. I've been exploring RPGMaker games ever since I was 11-12, not too sure on which exact age, and it was primarily thanks to back then being a major thing to play on YouTube. But instead of watching them be played, I instead played them myself which is typically the route I go for unless I want to see specific commentators play games and share their thoughts. Anyway, earliest game I can really go back to was Pewdiepie's Ao Oni playthrough. Man, the absolute long time it's been ever since that. Ever since that first video I saw, I flung into action of getting into RPGMaker games. For me personally my most favorite RPGMaker game is OFF by Mortis Ghost. It's my most favorite game because of the amazing environment and the music, which is my most favorite 'quirky' artist ACC himself.

Currently now I'm 19 turning 20 later on in this year, and reflecting on a bunch of stuff in my life has brought me back into the RPGMaker world. I wish to throw myself back into seeing games because I really miss the nostalgia that a lot of these games has. I'm currently going to college trying to finish my GE, so I currently have a lot of time on my hands to get going with random stuff until I get myself a job.

In terms of if I've ever made a game, I really can't say I have. I own RPG Maker VX Ace on Steam but, I did small things every now and then but sadly never went through with making something out of it, motivation in that sense is a bit hard for me. Last thing I thought about doing was this horror game similar to something like a mix between OFF and One Shot but was set in a psychedelic like environment of a ghost town from visiting Bodie CA once. I'd really love to go through with that project than any of the other ones I've taken thought into.

Then for other things possibly relating RPGMaker, I'm a bit of an artist and I do some pixel art, it's very rare though as I'm quite the perfectionist and I find art to be a big struggle. And on top of that I understand music theory and currently play electric guitar and bass, primarily doing rock stuff but I wish to someday do more things with synthesizer stuff being heavily inspired by Pink Floyd.

For me in general I don't really have a lot to say, other than I'm actually excited getting back into RPGMaker games, like an old friend I haven't spoken to in ages. I'm a big nerd about Star Wars, a big passion is music, and I play a lot of other games other than just RPGMaker games, I'd consider myself an 'all-around' kind of gamer.

Hope I get to talk to some pretty awesome people and possibly make new friends along the way! I'm also really excited to see what new games people make, and seeing that people are still making games makes me very happy and excited to be doing this.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Hello Chromium, welcome to RMN! I love your song "Old 45's" that goes like IF YOU THINK ROMANCE IS GETTING OOO UUU OOO UU OOOLD-oh that's chromeo.

author=Chromium
In terms of if I've ever made a game, I really can't say I have. I own RPG Maker VX Ace on Steam but, I did small things every now and then but sadly never went through with making something out of it, motivation in that sense is a bit hard for me. Last thing I thought about doing was this horror game similar to something like a mix between OFF and One Shot but was set in a psychedelic like environment of a ghost town from visiting Bodie CA once. I'd really love to go through with that project than any of the other ones I've taken thought into.
Most of us understand how that feels. Taking the step to start is the most difficult part at that stage however, and once you do it'll feel easier to try out more and more things. The events hosted here are nice ways of having an excuse to try out new things or brush up on the ones you already know.

As for what kind of project to start with, I recommend you start out small. If you think you're already thinking small, then slice that small idea and make it even smaller. The most troublesome aspect of gamedev when starting is the potential burnout born out of disappointment for not knowing how to scope yourself based on your current experience and what you can realisitically do at this point. You like OFF and OneShot, and would like to make a project that is an amalgamation of those but with your essence in it, so why not keep that one as your long or even middle term objective to pursue while you get some exp doing small things first but geared around the end goal you want to reach?

You could do it in parts. Like, make a very small, 5 to 10 minute experience where the point of it (for you) is to toy and practice with the engine to learn how to do the kind of psychedelic effects you desire to use in your goal game in the future for instance, then wrap that practice project in a story in your preferred way.

Obviously I'm speaking from my own experience. Feel free to work the way you feel more comfortable with.

Again, welcome!
Howdy yourself! I was gonna say "howdy" in my own post, so that's what drew my attention to yours. I hope you find what you're looking for here! :D
Pages: 1