RECENTLY WATCHED MOVIES

Pages: first 12345 next last
Strawberry Shortcake: Berry Brick Road

I'll admit upfront that this movie really doesn't have anything for adults or older children to enjoy. So much so, that I could only recommend this film for little kids and even then I'd argue this movie is a disservice to it's source material since it trims "The Wizard of Oz" down to a meager 18 minutes or so.

In fact, this allows the movie enough time to tell a second story in the Land of Oz about protecting the environment as well as turning off your lights when they aren't in use.

All and all, I'd say the most interesting thing about this movie is that the Wizard is voiced by James Street a child voice actor that died during a skateboarding accident on July 4th, 2007. A factoid that's only interesting to me because "Strawberry Shortcake: Berry Brick Road" came out in 2012. And it really doesn't feel like it would take over 5 years to make a 45 minute animated film. Especially one that reuses footage during some of the songs.

Terrordactyl

Yeah, "Terrordactyl" is a B movie about people getting killed by flying reptiles. Sadly the movie really doesn't contain any particularly likeable characters so your almost rooting for the reptiles to eat everybody.

And like most B movies the backstory for where the pterodactyls came from is really stupid with them surviving in space for millions of years. Apparently they were launched into space by the meteor that killed the dinosaurs and are now coming down as meteors in order to reclaim the planet for themselves.

If anything I'd say the most interesting thing about this film is that the person listed at the top of the IMDB page for this movie isn't even one of the main characters in this movie. Instead it's a lady whose basically a glorified extra since her only job is to serve as a sexy distraction while the male leads do some lawn work for her. So yes, the most famous person in this movie only exists to add some sexiness to the movie by wearing a bikini while she lays about on a floating chair in her pool.

Heavy Metal

"Heavy Metal" feels like a movie that really shouldn't be as long as it is. After all, there really isn't any reason for the Loc-Nar to explain itself to a young girl it's about to kill. A young girl it wants dead since she has the power to destroy him.

Seriously the whole setup for the stories reminds me of the scene in Outlaw Star where Aisha prevents Iraga from crushing her skull in with a leg lock and then gives the following lecture:

You talk to much, you know that. You shouldn't say anything when your about to finish someone off.

I suppose if we put aside my issues with the main villain going into an absolutely unnecessary monologue to tell stories about it's various victories and failures over the course of its existence. The stories themselves really vary in terms of quality with some of the stories being pretty good while others are so poorly paced you'd think you were watching paint dry.

Heavy Metal 2000

I'll admit this film is both better and worse. On the plus side it only tells a single story about a girl seeking revenge on a guy for murdering her people. On the other hand, the story is highly predictable and approaches sex in a far more juvenile way than the last film. Which is quite the accomplishment considering the last movie had women throwing themselves at guys and robots they just met.

As for how it manages to be more juvenile. It's because it treats the topic like a joke. Like your supposed to laugh at the fact the main character has to lock in her approach to the spaceport at A.N.U.S. 6370.

And, I'm not even sure I'm allowed to discuss the scenes with the sex robot, but even if I wouldn't get in trouble for going into details about that. I really don't want to.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
author=thesacredlobo
Heavy Metal 2000

I remember that movie. My girlfriend's father loves it. I only remember it because Sammy Hagar is on the soundtrack.

I've been working my way through all of the straight-to-"DVD" (streaming) animated Batman movies. Watched Batman: Hush the other weekend, Lex Luthor is a sarcastic asshole in it and that alone made it worth watching.

I keep meaning to watch the new Mortal Kombat, my coworkers all say it was great. That and the Snyder cut of Justice League, but I need to actually schedule a time to watch that thing. I don't usually have four consecutive hours of nothing else to do.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Ooh and excuse for me to plug my letterboxd account

Here's my diary for everything I saw in April:

And fuck it, here's what I've seen in May so far too:

(Unrated movies are short films, I try to watch one before each feature film if I can)
Yeah the soundtrack is definitely interesting. And the original movie has a soundtrack that's sort of a whose who of the late 70s early 80s I suppose. Though, I'll admit the thing I'll probably remember most about it in the long run is that the villain in "Heavy Metal 2000" is voiced by Michael Ironside.

author=Backwards_Cowboy
I've been working my way through all of the straight-to-"DVD" (streaming) animated Batman movies. Watched Batman: Hush the other weekend, Lex Luthor is a sarcastic asshole in it and that alone made it worth watching

Oddly enough I've picked up a few of those movies over the years, but I've largely gotten my hands on them by searching through the bargain bin at my local Dollartree every now and again. Though, I really should get around to watching "Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" at some point. Though, I'm probably more likely to watch something really stupid like "Andy the Talking Hedgehog".
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
With regard to Heavy Metal, the Loc Nor was an afterthought. Ivan Reitman put it in as a connecting thread for all the stories. But the reason why the movie is so inconsistent is that each section is done by a different animation studio. Ivan Reitman was originally going to do a full-length motion picture of different stories, a movie that was based on the magazine, which is a collection of stories, surprisingly enough. He couldn't afford it, and he discovered the price to have animation studios do short subjects was so disproportionately less than making a feature-length film, that he decided to have a bunch of different studios make the short subjects and have another one tie them together with the Loc Nor. It was a 20th of the cost for a feature-length film. This is also why the art styles are so inconsistent and why the girl only vaguely looks like Taarna in the final scene (she is Taarna).
author=pianotm
It was a 20th of the cost for a feature-length film. This is also why the art styles are so inconsistent and why the girl only vaguely looks like Taarna in the final scene (she is Taarna).

I don't think the girl is actually Taarna, but inherited the spirit of Taarna.

Though if people want to discuss more of the background details behind "Heavy Metal". Then it should also be pointed out that at least one of the planned sequences was ultimately cut. The movie also had it's initial theatrical release changed from Christmas 1981 to late summer in order to better draw in the college kids apparently. So I'm guessing the segment was dropped due to time constraints. This is also why the film is only mostly animated as well since they were going to use rotoscoping to do the animation for the house explosion near the end of the movie, but didn't have enough time to do so. As a result they simply used footage of them blowing up the model instead.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=thesacredlobo
author=pianotm
It was a 20th of the cost for a feature-length film. This is also why the art styles are so inconsistent and why the girl only vaguely looks like Taarna in the final scene (she is Taarna).
I don't think the girl is actually Taarna, but inherited the spirit of Taarna.

Taarna's a pretty mystical character. The whole point is that the race is extinct and she lives on as a spirit of, basically, vengeance that is reborn when she's called.

Also, I think the Loc-Nar might be a crticism of monologues because
the movie literally ends with it telling the girl how it died and then as it dies in the story, it promptly dies in front of the girl. She doesn't even do anything! The Loc-Nar just talks itself to death!
Here's what I watched the past month:

The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
The Lion King "live" action remake (for the first time! it was bad)
Hercules
Ice Age
Ice Age: The Meltdown
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Alita: Battle Angel
The Forbidden Kingdom
Disney's Robin Hood
Frozen
Tangled
Moana
Raya and The Last Dragon
Zootopia
Big Hero 6

why yes I do have Disney+ why do you ask?

Backwards_Cowboy
author=kentona

My question was actually going to be how many kids do you have

I mean, Disney makes some classics, but no sane adult sits through three Ice Age films without a child present. they just get progressively worse
Frogge
author=Backwards_Cowboy
I mean, Disney makes some classics, but no sane adult sits through three Ice Age films without a child present. they just get progressively worse

TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT FREAKING NOW ICE AGE 3 IS A MASTERPIECE
^
This.

I mean, I don't watch movies often (or at all, nowdays) but I've broken out the Disney movies in the past just to watch a bunch of 'em at once. By myself. No kids necessary.

...unless you count me as a big kid in which case, fair point?
Frogge
I need everyone to be 100% clear that I am not joking

Backwards_Cowboy
author=Frogge
I need everyone to be 100% clear that I am not joking

They've made 5 of them? I stopped watching at 2.
Frogge
There's also a 30 minute long christmas special!
Frogge sat through all 14 Land Before Time movies.
I admire this dude greatly.
It's like a super power at this point.
Frogge
It was the greatest achievement of my life xD
What I watched in the last few weeks:

Mortal Kombat (2021)
Entertaining but far from great. The highlights for me were the prologue (I wished that the entire movie would focus on those two characters), Kano's trash talk and Liu Kang's character, interesting and well played by the actor.
Sub-Zero's ice powers are very well utilized and cool to watch.
The rest of the action is okay. The plot is rather bland. But overall I had a fun time watching.

Ride or Die (2021, with english subs)
I wanted to watch it to support an actress that I like, but I really enjoyed the movie. It's a harsh and sexy love story/thriller with several impressive long takes and a great performance by the two lead actresses.

The Invisible Man (2020)
I loved it. Part horror movie, part thriller. I recommend it.

Color Out of Space (2019)
I read Lovecraft's short story many years ago and was curious how it would be adapted. I really liked it. They picked a few ideas from other stories as well and made them fit in the story nicely. And Nicolas Cage is always fun to watch.
Haven't watched many films lately despite having about 240 in my collection (dvd & bluray). I usually watch them when I'm doing some leveling up, or something else mindless, in a game.

Went out to the movies to see "Josee, the tiger, and the fish" last month, though. I was always like going out to see an anime film.
author=Backwards_Cowboy
author=kentona

My question was actually going to be how many kids do you have

I have 2 kids, but I genuinely enjoy the Ice Age movies. but.... I most definitely slept through most of Ice Age 3 when it was on.
Frogge
Kentona how could you betray me like this :(
Pages: first 12345 next last