I'VE BEEN AWAY FROM THE SCENE FOR A WHILE. WHICH MAKER WILL BEST HELP ME MAKE A GAME LIKE THIS?

Pages: 1
Hi folks,

So I've been away from rpgmaker for a while, concentrating in my spare hobby time on writing, but lately I've gotten the itch again.

In my imagination I want to make a game that

1. has a SNES aesthetic (FFVI-y)
2. has 3rd person, side-view battles
3. I could try to sell one day, and so uses default or uncopyrighted resources
4. could be played on many platforms (i.e. PC but also mac, Android etc.)

Footnote 1: I have no talent at spriting or composing and not enough money to pay spriters or composers so I would need to be using default RTP, open source stuff and/or generators.

Footnote 2: I am also not proficient at difficult coding, which is why I use rpgmaker in the first place.

I know that if I ever made this game it would probably never get finished and/or never make any money, but a guy can still dream, and investigate.

My question: Which rpgmaker will most help me to put this kind of game together?

While I've been away a bunch of new ones have appeared--MV, MZ... Heck, when I was still in the scene I never even tried VXace. I'm most proficient in 2k3.

I guess it looks like it would be between sticking with 2k3 or going with VXace?

What do people think?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
1. has a SNES aesthetic (FFVI-y)

Technically speaking, any maker can do this. However, 2K/2K3 are generally more associated with this style, in my opinion.

2. has 3rd person, side-view battles

Of course, 2K3 comes to mind. However, MZ has a built-in side-view combat system as well. I can't speak for MV, but, the other makers generally need a plugin/script for that kind of system.

3. I could try to sell one day, and so uses default or uncopyrighted resources

Again, this could techincally be done with any maker, so long as you have purchased the maker legally. At least as far as I'm aware.

4. could be played on many platforms (i.e. PC but also mac, Android etc.)

I'm very much inclined to answer MV/MZ here? Though, I must temper that suggestion with the fact that I'm unfamiliar with how it's possible with MV. I don't quite recall the porting options in MZ when I had it during the trial period. However, from what I know of them, those engines were build to port games made with them to systems outside of PC. Saying that, I'm not sure how/if EasyRPG is a consideration for 2K/2K3 games?
The easiest engine to go with for an SNES-styled game would still be RM2k3. The engine has also gotten an official english release in recent years which includes some notable improvements as well as helping to optimize the engine for modern systems. That said, it's still basically the same 2k3 you know and love which means many of its limitations are still there. Same old menus, same old battle system. Unless you want to event your own.

All of the engines from XP onward are significantly more customizable than 2k and 2k3, and with enough coding knowledge (or plugins) you can achieve some truly amazing things with them. But it's worth noting that very few people are still working with XP and VX. VX Ace is still relatively popular, but less so now for commercial projects (especially those who plan to export to other platforms)

I'd say if you're looking for a more flexible way to get things done and are willing to put in the work, MV or MZ might be your best bets for getting everything you listed done. Keep in mind that these were built with higher-res games in mind, so an SNES-style game might take some extra work to pull off.
author=Marrend
Of course, 2K3 comes to mind. However, MZ has a built-in side-view combat system as well. I can't speak for MV, but, the other makers generally need a plugin/script for that kind of system.

MV has side view or front view turn based battles "out of the box", MZ brought back the active / wait modes similar to 2003 as additional options.

There are side view scripts for VX Ace if you end up going with that.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
The hardest part is going to be the multi-platform aspect you are looking for. That is best done using MV or MZ, which also fulfills items 2 and 3, but makes it hard to achieve item 1 due to the higher resolution others have mentioned.

I prefer VX Ace out of all the modern RPG Makers, it has a modern feel without losing the charm of the older makers.
If you get RM2k/3 and MZ you can easily use the graphics from the first in the second. You just x3 size for them and set them up in the tilesets as necessary and have at.

That said, it sounds like you want a painless and easy experience, with little-to-no messing around when it comes to anything, so MV/Z will probably be what you want in regards to multi-platform and battle system style. It does mean the graphics aren't SNES style, though.

Honestly? Most of them have trial versions. Go check them out and see which one fits your bill best.
I recommend the official release of 2k3. As mentioned they've fixed a number of issues. There are also MANY resources for it (you can backwards compat 2k resources. It has the Snes style you're looking for, and learning to edit some of your own sprites is definitely doable even for a beginner. If you go with a newer maker and want to make an edit as a beginner well... good luck.. it'll take much longer with the greater detail you have to account for.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll definitely test out the trial versions of VXace and MZ, however at the moment I'm leaning towards official 2k3 since I know 2k3 so well and it gives me an easy route to snes aesthetic + side view battles (sped up with DynRPG) and Easyrpg could be used to play it on multiple systems.

Whichever I go for, I think my biggest headache is going to be getting snes-style non-copyrighted resources. I have used the Charas generator and done minor sprite edits lots in the past, so:

Do VXace / MZ have character generators?

And how easy is it to import 2k3 sprites into VXace?

And please could someone remind me which 2k3 chipsets are non-copyrighted other than the RTP? I know obviously rips aren't. Are mac and blue fair game for everybody?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I don't personally care for the face-maker in Ace, but, the characters it can generate are all right. In some ways, I would have liked to also have access to famitsu's old VX/Ace generator, but, the site has become defunct. It might be possible to use the Wayback Machine to access it, but, just something about that concept feels wrong to me. Maybe I'm just weird like that. Game Character Hub might be a good resource to acquire to make up the difference?

MZ's face/character generator is of better quality in my opinion.
author=Faenon
I'll definitely test out the trial versions of VXace and MZ, however at the moment I'm leaning towards official 2k3 since I know 2k3 so well and it gives me an easy route to snes aesthetic + side view battles (sped up with DynRPG) and Easyrpg could be used to play it on multiple systems.

DynRPG only works with the fan-port version, not the official RM2K3. Offhand I don't think it works with EasyRPG either, though I could be mistaken. On the other hand, the official RM2K3 has Maniacs Patch, so that might give you the functionality you're looking for.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

The many platform thing might be the one thing that forces you to use MZ.
Otherwise, any other engine is capable of the things you suggested.

I have used VX Ace for a long time and see no reason to upgrade. If you own the legal copy of RPG Maker 2003, then you can sell games with it. Unless there's a specific reason to upgrade, you should stick with what you know.
Pages: 1