[RMMV] REQUEST : MOVING EVENTS TUTORIAL

Pages: 1
I have tried looking up tutorials on moving events in RPG Maker. I was able to figure out a lot of them myself. But a lot of them are more advanced and require variables and other stuff.

I currently know how to push objects, and have the player slip and slide, and to have the player fall down holes, and to break objects, and to toggle bridges with just basic switches. For some reason, i'm unable to do with events that I did with the player. If I try to push an object over a slippery floor, it'll be blocked. Yes, I did switch the event from 'move player' to 'move event'. I was also unable to push events down holes for this same reason.

Another problem I has is with throwing objects. I know how to make an object jump up and down. Unfortunately, the jump command in movement route can only move by x or y. This means that the object will always move in the same direction when jumping (for the player this would be okay). I want the player to throw the even the same direction the player is facing. When pushing events, I can do this by having it move the opposite direction as the player, set in it's movement route. But for some reason this option doesn't exist for jumping.

I know that a lot of puzzles do require variables. When I watch the videos, they skim through too fast and I can't comprehend the scripting they're using.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I don't know if this would help, or if this is a thing you've tried already. However, with the Wand of Blasting (first featured here), I had to make a check to see which direction the character was facing before setting the position of the bullet, and setting the move-route. Thus, my suggestion is to have a check on player facing, and execute a jump command based on said facing.
author=Marrend
I don't know if this would help, or if this is a thing you've tried already. However, with the Wand of Blasting (first featured here), I had to make a check to see which direction the character was facing before setting the position of the bullet, and setting the move-route. Thus, my suggestion is to have a check on player facing, and execute a jump command based on said facing.

I was actually wanting to learn how to through events on the map, in the direction I am facing.

Click here

Click Here

Those are two tutorial videos on Youtube. All the videos about this subject went too fast.
Marrend
I think I'm more than mildly confused by your response, so let me take a step backwards. How can a player throw objects in your game to begin with?

*Edit: Does MV's Conditional Branch event-command not have an option to check player facing under the "Character" drop-down box in third tab*?

*For reference purposes, this is where it can be found in Ace.

*Edit2: Like, if the option is there, the general thought in my mind is that if the player is facing right, the box would be be thrown right. So, the correlating jump would be passed a positive x value. Conversely, if the player is facing left, the value passed would be a negative x value. Up would be a negative y value, and down would be a positive value.

If it helps, recall that (0, 0) is in the upper-left corner of the map. As an object approaches this coordinate, the x/y values get smaller, and the further it moves away, they get larger.
author=Marrend
I think I'm more than mildly confused by your response, so let me take a step backwards. How can a player throw objects in your game to begin with?

*Edit: Does MV's Conditional Branch event-command not have an option to check player facing under the "Character" drop-down box in third tab*?

*For reference purposes, this is where it can be found in Ace.

*Edit2: Like, if the option is there, the general thought in my mind is that if the player is facing right, the box would be be thrown right. So, the correlating jump would be passed a positive x value. Conversely, if the player is facing left, the value passed would be a negative x value. Up would be a negative y value, and down would be a positive value.

If it helps, recall that (0, 0) is in the upper-left corner of the map. As an object approaches this coordinate, the x/y values get smaller, and the further it moves away, they get larger.

This is what I know. You use the "set movement route" command in order to have other events move. This can be used for a lot of purposes besides moving NPCs, such as puzzles. When I :

Set Movement Route : This Event (Skip, Wait)
SE : Push (100,100,0)
Move away from Player.
Trigger : Player Touch

This makes me push the objects when I collide with them.

Set Movement Route : Player
Stepping Animation On
SE : Miss (80,90,0)
1 Step Forward

Stepping Animation On
SE : Fall (55,100,0)
Transfer Player : MapName (x,y)
Exit Event Processing -> (important)

This makes me slide on the floor. If I wanted the player to fall down a hole while also sliding, I could also use the 2nd-line above.

What I don't know is how to make the jump command also do the move away from player command at the same time (this is only done in the set movement route). When I try that, either the even moves first and jumps second, or vice versa. Another thing I havn't learned yet is how to have my player lift an event and have it appear above it's head.

author=Edit: Does MV's Conditional Branch event-command not have an option to check player facing under the "Character" drop-down box in third tab*?

Can you show me? I wouldn't know, but I think MV is in every way a better system (not including RTP).

Marrend
Can you show me? I wouldn't know, but I think MV is in every way a better system

Wait, wait, wait. What? You're asking about how to do something in MV. Which indicates to me that you should have a copy of MV? It baffles me that you ask me to show this to you when you could look up for yourself what options are available under Conditional Branch.

However, as far as I know, there isn't a "jump away from player" command in any version of the Move-Route sub-commands that I am aware of. Doing that process with a script/plugin would probably not be all that much different than the event-command method I'm thinking of?

*Edit: For what little it is worth, here's my Ace screencap of the topic-relevant part of Conditional Branch.

I looked at "Conditional Branch" and I don't think that's related. I can't use it in the 'move' 'event' commands. I get what your thinking though, at least I think I do. If I used to four times, that should do the trick.

I came across a glitch. I was making jump commands for the player. For the most part I did the right thing. But sometimes its bugged and the event will make me jump backwards sometimes and forwards as it is supposed to on other times. Usually this happens when I try to go back too fast, when I wait it usually works. I don't know how to make it look like the player is drowning either. I know the splash sprites exist.

Jump : 0, +2 or +3
Trigger : Action Button
Control Self Switch A : On

Jump : 0, -2 or 3
Trigger : Action Button
Control Self Switch A : Off

Yes, that worked, thanks. I still have a lot to learn. I still don't know how to make events move on other events.
Marrend
I still don't know how to make events move on other events.

It would likely mean making the moving event have the "through" property on a temporary basis. For a quick example, the Wand of Blasting I mentioned earlier sets an event's location to the player's location, then uses Move-Route to enable "through" and move that event one tile in the direction the player is facing. It then disables "through", and uses a loop of "move one tile forward" until it hits something.
author=Marrend
It would likely mean making the moving event have the "through" property on a temporary basis. For a quick example, the Wand of Blasting I mentioned earlier sets an event's location to the player's location, then uses Move-Route to enable "through" and move that event one tile in the direction the player is facing. It then disables "through", and uses a loop of "move one tile forward" until it hits something.

What would be the best way to do that? I would also like to be able to hold events over my head when lifting them. According to many videos, it would take a lot of complex uses of variables. When an event is "through", it can't be triggered by touching and/or clicking on it.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Abashi76
author=Marrend
What would be the best way to do that? I would also like to be able to hold events over my head when lifting them. According to many videos, it would take a lot of complex uses of variables. When an event is "through", it can't be triggered by touching and/or clicking on it.

You don't have to set to through in the event settings. In the move action, you have the option to turn through on and off.
In what order should I turn "through on"? Do I do self switch when the moving
event touches it? Or do I have to use Variables?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
When do you want the event to pass through another event? Do through on, then. And there's no need to spend variables on that process.
author=pianotm
When do you want the event to pass through another event? Do through on, then. And there's no need to spend variables on that process.

When I push the event into it, from one space away. I already posted how I made the events move when I touch them. Though should I use the action button instead?
Marrend
Holding an event over the player's head might be doable as a kind of "follower". More than this, I don't want to say, because I generally don't mess with followers in the first place.

Either way, the way the moving event activates is not the issue at hand. The issue at hand, as I read it, is wanting to move an event "on top" of another event, while also desiring normal movement rules. It is a matter of collision detection. The game needs to know if the moving event is colliding with another event, or if it's colliding with a regular impassible tile. Which certainly indicates some work with variables.

I'd have to double-check how the Wand of Blasting does it, but, I think I basically have an event that creates an array of event IDs on the current map that interact with the Wand. When the bullet from the Wand hits an obstruction, it checks the next tile in the bullet's path against that array, obtaining the x/y coordinates in the process, to see if there is a coordinate match.
How do I make traps such as spike traps? I thought it would be simple but nothing works. I tried to do the same thing I would do for flipping switches, and those actually worked. Either I get stuck on the event, or the spikes event keeps moving and refused to obey the self switches. There is a tutorial for VX (and it requires scripting and other complex stuff), but not for MV. I did find this one though, I was able to do about 2/3 of this.

PS: Also, how do I make large doors with events? For example, the "gate" character sheets in the RTP. When I place them they are still separated.
Marrend
I mean, I feel like a "spike trap", or something like that, could be as simple as setting a tile as a "damage floor" in the database? I can't say if that setting exists in VX or MV, but it exists in Ace. I'll have to look a bit later if it's a thing in MZ.

*Edit: Just confirmed that "damage floor" is a setting in MZ's tileset section of the database. So, since it's there in both Ace and MZ, I feel it should also be in MV.

*Edit2: A region-check might work too, if the traps are supposed to be hidden. Possibly a change in tile graphic after they are sprung? If the video was any indication of what you wanted to do, I apologize for not watching it.
author=pianotm
You don't have to set to through in the event settings. In the move action, you have the option to turn through on and off.

And it still didn't work for some reason. The object will not move over the event tiles on the floor in front of the hole I want it to fall in.
Marrend
Well, I dunno what to tell you at this point. Other than, let's see what the contents move-route command are versus where the event should be, versus what obstructions it could run into.
Pages: 1