[RMMV] [RMMZ] RPG MAKER MZ FREE???

Pages: 1
I have been working on my current project for a couple weeks using MV, a custom tailored game for my daughter. While looking through tutorials, I checked out a couple of reviews of MZ. I decided to check out the store page on Steam and saw a button that said "free". There was also a button for buy (with a discount). The free button said "ends in 4 days." So, naturally, I clicked on the "free" button. In downloaded and installed MZ.

First off, I have to say, I love the aesthetic of the art in MZ. And the Active Time Battle System is great (though I am unsure if I want to use that for my daughter's game... she's turning 6 in three months). In any case, if I switch to it, I am still early enough in development that it won't be too much of a hassle. Still, I don't know if the "free" is just a timed demo or the "free" was a limited time offer of getting the software for free.

I was going to wait until after I completed her project to check it out, but now that I have MZ, I almost WANT to use that version.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
MZ has currently a promo going because RPGMaker Web is hosting an rpgmaker MZ centric event called Touch the Stars (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/the-touch-the-stars-game-jam-starts-now-2k-in-prizes.137669/).

For the duration of the event and a couple weeks more, RPG Maker MZ is free to use.
When you open MZ it should show you a splash image that indicates how many days you have left in your trial version.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
For what it's worth, I had access to a demo verison of MZ that I used for the Trials of MZ event we held. I got it from RPG Maker Web directly, rather than with my Steam account. So, in a certain way, this promotion is an extension of that trial period, even if the periods are not adjacent to each other. XD
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
I don't recommend going with MZ. It's a lot buggier and less stable than MV. And, IMO, the default RTP graphics and music in NZ is far worse. (though the RTP battlers in MZ slap) MZ is too "mobile game-y" for my tastes and the character generator usually creates weird eyed anime monstrosities rather than the refined artstyle of MV's generated characters, who actually matched the RTP of that game quite well. Also, RPG Maker MV with all mainline DLC (FES, DS, DS+, Trinity, & Essentials) quite possibly has the best OST out of any video game ever, bar none. Super underrated too. MZ in comparison just can't stack up, not to mention MZ's terrible 3D animations that just look bad. Stick with MV, don't even bother with MZ.

As for the "free" option on Steam, it's a free trial going on right now for a special event. You won't be able to use MZ after a certain period of time due to the trial expiring.
It's not buggier or less stable. Not sure where you're getting that from, though the graphics are, imo, worse.
Pages: 1