GAMES THAT "NEED" A FILM ADAPTATION

Pages: first 12 next last
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
So, I watched Prince of Persia the other day and it got me wondering, which games big and small would work well as live action films and which actually are at least slightly likely to happen eventually. I feel like even many popular games are either too niche (Metroid never was a massive hit) or derivative in their story or overall feel (Metroid basically is Alien, but I also think the adaptation could go more Martian/Gravity/The Other M than traditional space horror and actually become a hidden gem.
I would like to see another take on Prince, but that's likely not gonna happen. The franchise is dead, Ass Creed succeeded it, literally starting its development as a Prince of Persia: Assassins.
That said Ubisoft games probably are the most likely to get an adaptation. There is a Far Cry film and Assassin's Creed. Both of them are shitty and I probably won't ever bother to watch (me not being interested in Franchises is a factor too). Their other popular franchises like Rainbow Six and Watch Dogs have a good chance of seeing the silver screen, but I don't find them very interesting (I like Hacker films but Dogs lack cool esthetic imho). I would love to see a Might and Magic film, but the franchise is dead and I doubt we will see a new game anytime soon, so talking about film adaptation is waste of time. Still, it could be cool even trying to adapt it's world full of mythical creatures into something consistent. Dark Messiah would be a decent base imho.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Ubisoft basically not touching the main-line entries of Might and Magic, outside of MM10, is definitely not a good sign for the series. ;_;

What might be cool that would also likely never happen is Suikoden. Like, I recall seeing a trailer for a Netflix adaptation of Dynasty Warriors. Which is cool. I'm glad something like that will eventually exist. However, I would like to see more love for Water Margin/Outlaws of the Marsh, even if my only context there is basically Suikoden. XD
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Ever since it came out, I've wanted to see a Metal Gear Solid movie. Sort of half-way agreeing with Marrend about Suikoden. There's so much going on there, I think it would be much better as a television show than a movie. Also, as long as there wasn't studio interference and moviemaking by committee, I think Fallout could be a really good movie.

And no ifs, ands, buts, or asterisks for this one: Knights of the Old Republic.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I decided to talk a little more about Prince of Persia.
That film has solid first and third act, but the intro and the second act are mess. I don't know why they decided to have an origin story for the prince. I feel like having origins and explaining everything is a bad habit blockbusters tend to have these days. But if you recall Pirates of Caribbean, there was no origin story for Jack Sparrow and it worked well. The Prince becoming more likable character learning about his responsibilities and respect for human life instead of forging his own destiny would be a more compelling character arc imho.
The second act just doesn't work. There are too many locations and things happening. Sidekicks should appear in the first act and have more of a story arc imho. Instead you get one set of characters in the first act (brothers, companions in army) and another set in the second (tax evaders, hassassins - but I think introducing the latter as a new thread later on works).

Next on, esthetic is just lazy. I think it would be possible to create film with signature Persian/Arabian Nights look and sound. It probably still would feature desert and lot of beige, but with more creative costumes and locations, it could bring the film to life a lot more. All or most actors being white is another thing breaking immersion.
Better camera, editing and less reliance on digital tricks would do too.

Next time, I'll try to come up with a vision of a better Prince of Persia film with some visual examples and barebone story structure. I've started playing Sands of Time to get better grasp of lore and the way it handles locations and I actually quite fancy making it a "cursed castle" kind of story.

I guess there won't be a new Prince of Persia film (or game) any time soon, but it's still a fun exercise.
I think Wolfenstein could make a pretty decent movie. Especially Wolfenstein: The New Order (and possibly its sequel). Alt-history nazis taking over the world in a more action-packed Man in the High Castle. What's not to like?

And its time has probably passed but Mirror's Edge could have been a decent near-future dystopia with lots of freerunning.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
Not really a movie or anything, but I think Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (999) could make a really cool Netflix series with that gimmick where you make decisions and stuff during the episodes. Since it's a shorter VN with lots of branching paths and not much in terms of gameplay outside of escape rooms, you could make a pretty entertaining show out of it, I think.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Speaking of Fallout, there was that one defunct film adaptation of the original movie. As it was the 90s, you can imagine they took some liberties on the game versus the movie. I mean, to the levels of Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil's movies. I know they're supposedly working on a show series on Amazon, but news on that has also been up in the air last I checked.

Honestly, as it's been considered "the cinematic RPG" by some, why not Parasite Eve? Set it back in its original date due to 90s nostalgia, get some awesome special effects for Parasite Energy powers and mitochondria monsters without it being too campy (or keeping the camp for aesthetic), and throw some cinematic gunplay in there. Just like... don't make the mention of the word "mitochondria" into a fatal drinking game, okay?

Maybe Aya's Heal powers could manifest as a grazing wound seeming to disappear the next day. Maybe she can Liberate against Eve in their big fight. I'd prefer they stick to the story outside of the EX Game and its procedurally-generated megadungeon, but could keep the glowing Chrysler Building as a cameo like it is in the main game. The normal ending is already a zinger, heheh.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I think my number one pick for a game I want to see adapted into a movie would be Fran Bow. And don’t judge me too hard for this but I really like Baldi as a concept for “educational horror” and I think it would be really fun to see a film based on it shot like educational videos for children that slowly turns unsettling and spooky.
Other than that, I can’t really think of anything I would like to see adapted, but I can certainly think of developers who I would love to see get the chance to make something original.

Given he had a good budget to make something that matches the visual style of his games, I think SnowOwl could easily make an incredible horror film unlike anything else out there.
I feel like Mirak or lav would both be able to make an amazing surreal film, maybe a la Greener Grass for Mirak and Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy for lav.
Psy would make an absolute banger of a sci-fi mystery horror film.
I would be incredibly curious to see how Ocean and Punkitt would translate their pixel art styles into a film medium. I’m guessing it would be an animated film for both, but I’d be super intrigued either way.
I haven’t played any of calunio’s games (yet) but I have a feeling he’d do a great job as a director for some psychologically heavy stuff. He could be like a new Darren Aronofsky.
AestheticGamer makes terrifying games and I can imagine him making a terrifying movie too.
A bit of an obscure pick but Kona5 (dev behind games such as Akemi Tan or Pilgrim) could make a cult-classic J-horror film for sure.
Another obscure pick but GreyIndiva (Divinity Fatum, Townlore) could do a very unique and atmospheric horror film with a good budget too.
Oh and something in a similar vein to Aria’s Story or Pocket Mirror aesthetically would be awesome. I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen a horror movie utilize that sort of “girly fantasy gothic” style and I would really like to.

Also yes I am very biased towards horror and aesthetic styles over story, why do you ask?

Edit:
I want to see movies based on old pc games and abandonware but specifically made during the 90s. Obviously not gonna happen since we can’t go back in time, but these are all just fantasy situations anyway so who cares.

Edit 2:
Rachel deserves an animated feature so she can make The Wild Thornberrys Movie but with more fantasy elements and anthro lions.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Cool post, Frogge. I like it that you're thinking about what kind of film various rpg maker creators would make and there's def difference between films they would make and their games. Out ofany rm games I would like to see a film adaptation of Ruin Frontier, because it has probably my favourite sci-fi setting of all rm games and I think that zds' and psisteve's games would be a great basis for film storytelling too.

I was thinking about Prince of Persia some more, mostly about its lore. It's very thin with very few characters and you can't just throw them all in. Even mixing characters from Sands of Time trilogy probably wouldn't work. Basically, all characters I would use would be Prince (protagonist), Farah (sidekick/love interest), Vizier (antagonist), Dark Prince (antagonist/character development device), King (side character) and maybe Kaileena (not sure what to do with this one). I probably would try to do as much as possible with the former five before adding new characters.
In terms of story the game is too simple as I can't really let the prince fight sand monsters and parkour for an hour. It would work for a short film, but I need more meat. I think that adding Dark Prince as a power might work, but it also might end up being confusing if it's not introduced together with the dagger (sands of time). I think the second act of the film could be focused on flashbacks too, adding little more emotional investment that way. Something like the desert romance from Hidden Dragon, Crouching Tiger.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
So, some time ago I finally came up with premise for my take on Prince of Persia film. Here it is. Some parts would need fleshing out, but I'm not able to do that without actually writing full scenes to see if it fits or not. I probably won't go that far, tho. I think I tried to keep it simple with small amount of traveling, yet I added some more depth and Persian flavour, which is mostly in differences between Farah, Vizier and Prince. Side characters still are a problem, especially evil generals. There def would be space to give them more space, tho. So, whatcha think?

Act 1
A young treasure hunter (Dastan - could be male or female, it doesn't really matter) searches for artifacts in sandy ruins of Babylon. By an accident he finds a chamber hiding the dagger of time. After looting the place he returns to a shack town at the edge of the ruined city and tries to sell some of the loot. It grabs attention of several people. Among them is Farah and the vizier as they recognize the dagger. The Vizier tries to buy it, but bargaining goes south, Dastan uses the dagger and the scene ends up in Vizier's hoodlums chasing down Dastan. He only escapes thanks to Farah showing him way. She leads him through ruins. He asks about the dagger and she tells him about it being the key to restoring Babylon and that the Vizier wants it to achieve immortality and gain control over the whole Persia. After that they fall in a trap of Mahasti, who is one of the Vizier's generals. While one of them is delaying her troops, the other hides the dagger, before both of them are overpowered and captured.

Act 2
Both of them are brought to the royal palace and interrogated by the Vizier, who offers Dastan a position of general in his army if he gives him the dagger. Dastan stays quiet and the Vizier put both of them behind bars. Here, Farah finally tells Dastan about Sands of Time. In a flashback we see the whole story from her perspective.
Flashback: Farah sits in a garden and speak with the vizier about time. Her position is quite fatalistic and takes one's life as being influenced by stars and such. The Vizier on the other hand talks about seizing and controlling time. Next day, the Vizier betrays and opens gates to Persians. Prince kills many guards, loots the treasury, takes possession of the dagger and takes Farah captive. With all of the spoils Prince travels back to Babylon, bringing the Vizier with him. There the Vizier manipulates Prince to use the dagger on Sands of Time. He does so and turns everyone in Babylon to sand and the city ages one thousand years in one day. Farah, Prince and the Vizier are sole survivors. The ruins start collapsing and Farah with Prince make their escape, live some time together, grow closer and travel around and make some friends such as Seso and Sheikh Amar. It would be a long flashback, majority of act 2 in fact and helping us to create an emotional bond with Prince and Farah and at least partially explain the Vizier's presence in Babylon (still searching for the dagger).
Ofc, after the flashback, Prince and his gang would help Farah and Dastan escape. Prince would take them to his hideout and show Dastan around. Prince would request the dagger, so he could face the vizier and break the curse. Farah on the other hand would prefer to leave things as they are and warns both Prince and Dastan that messing with time always has consequences. After contemplating on it while sitting on top of a hill, looking down at ruins and talking with Seso, Dastan decides to give the tool to Prince.

Act 3
It's a heist with a single goal. Get to the treasure room and insert the Dagger in Sands of Time. They need to get through the Vizier, his two generals and his troops. First Dastan pretends betrayal to get himself in and to help the rest strike at night. It's a suicide action, full of heroic deeds and one by one they keep dying. Sheikh Amar, Seso, Farah at hands of one of the generals and finally Prince at hands of the Vizier. Dastan uses the dagger to prevent his death and saves Prince from the fatal strike ending up fatally wounded himself. Prince defeats the Vizier and has one more touching dialogue with dying Dastan, in which Dastan tells him a memory fro his life, before sticking the Dagger in Sands and turning time back and Babylon to its glory.
We return to the Indian garden and Farah's dialogue with Vizier. Suddenly, Prince interrupts the scene. He pretends to be a gardener collecting flowers for the maharaja. But when Farah asks him about the flowers he talks about time instead. The Vizier recognizes him,his dagger and proceeds to attack him, but Prince slays the Vizier. Farah also recognizes the dagger. Prince disappears before she manages to call guards leaving only the flowers behind.

Epilogue
Young Dastan is calmly working at his father's workshop, when Prince arrives and gives him the dagger for safekeeping. Dastan doesn't recognize the man, but he accepts and hides the dagger at the same place, where he hid it at the end of act 1. Only now, We're learning how he got affected by the disaster.
A movie adaptation of Space Funeral would be absolutely amazing. Maybe.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Tbh games with a strong visual style probably wouldn't translate well. There are quite a few "meta" films, which are doing the same thing in the medium. What I would love to see is a Catemites film, tho.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I can see space funeral translating well into film visually but it would probably have to be animated. Ofcourse, with animated films being some of my favorites, I can 100% get behind this.

No idea what one could do for it plot wise, though. I've never played it. I agree with Cap, though. Why adapt a film when a creator can make something new that was specifically made for that medium? Rather than a space funeral film I'd just love to see a Catemites film.
I realize it would be a pretty outlandish concept even if it was at all possible to make it happen without it turning into an incoherent mess. I just figured if nothing else, it could make for an interesting "What if?" idea.
And given the reveal at the end, it would probably be impossible to make it work at all, considering the overarching metaphor.
oooh space funeral into a movie would be like an early german expresionism film, it would fit it really well I think XD

I'll proceed to disapear from this forum once again n.n'
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Quentin Tarantino needs to direct No More Heroes
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I think Dark Souls would make a for a good film adaptation if the director uses The Revenant as inspiration. You could have the quiet moments where you can take in the scenery of each area by following the Chosen Undead, and switch perspectives to one or two NPCs and follow their questlines for more dialogue-heavy scenes.

Personally, I'd like to see the questline that was cut from the final game where Oscar escapes the asylum with the chosen undead. Following their journeys through the world would make for an interesting alternate timeline that can switch between perspectives as needed to maintain a good pace for the film. That could bring in newcomers to the series without alienating the fans for breaking cannon. "Time is convoluted in Lordran" and all that.

This video recreates the questline using cut voice lines from Oscar:

author=MrChearlie
oooh space funeral into a movie would be like an early german expresionism film, it would fit it really well I think XD

Ah, that is a good point. I haven't seen The Cabinet of Dr Caligari or any German expressionist films in general (though it is on my to-do list), but making it in the expressionist style would definitely be interesting to see.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Actually, A Wipeout film would be really cool. Mixing bangers with racing could create a cool mix between Speed Racer and Hackers. Maybe update these two for slightly more adult audience too.

I'm also quite interested in Borderlands film. That fiction is interesting enough that that it guaranteed a fairly appreciated Telltale game and I'm always in for more post-apocalyptic films. Maybe it's the right time to play the game.
Pages: first 12 next last