[RMVX ACE] I NEED HELP WITH TRACKING A TIMER THROUGH DIFFERENT AREAS.

Pages: first 12 next last
What I'm looking to do is have the player go from the lake on the main map to an inside shop and buy stuff. Then exit the shop and back to the main map. Then go into another inside shop and buy more stuff then exit back to the main map. And make it back to the finish line before time runs out. So what I want is to have the timer track their time no matter where they are. And no matter where they are if they run out of time they lose the game. Also want the timer to be displayed the whole time.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
1. As a rule of thumb, you should always try to give screenshots of the events you're using.

2. Have you tried running the timer in a common event using a parallel process?

EDIT: In fact, what am I saying? That was a major part of Age of Myth. Yes. Using on map events to run your timer is generally not a good idea if that timer needs to run on multiple maps. Put the timer and its conditions in a common event, set it to parallel process, assign a switch, and then when you're ready to run it, use an on map event to turn that switch on.
author=pianotm
1. As a rule of thumb, you should always try to give screenshots of the events you're using.

2. Have you tried running the timer in a common event using a parallel process?

EDIT: In fact, what am I saying? That was a major part of Age of Myth. Yes. Using on map events to run your timer is generally not a good idea if that timer needs to run on multiple maps. Put the timer and its conditions in a common event, set it to parallel process, assign a switch, and then when you're ready to run it, use an on map event to turn that switch on.

How do I upload screenshots on here?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Tanarex

One method is to use your locker, which can be most easily accessed via your user name in the black bar at the top.
author=Marrend
author=Tanarex
One method is to use your locker, which can be most easily accessed via your user name in the black bar at the top.

ok so here is what I have so far. It works normally on the main map where the lake is located. But if I go into any of the shops the timer vanishes and stops working. When I exit a shop before the timer is up it keeps the time but nothing happens when it reaches zero. When I exit a shop after the timer is up it says 0:00 on the main map but still,
nothing happens.
pianotm
So, this is a little easier to do than putting the timer in a common event.

Lake Monster Quest ID: 140 looks fine.
Everything else, though, doesn't. Event ID: 013, Jedd Gets Gear, is a map event. Now, stop and think about this: how does the game know when this event is supposed to trigger if you're not on the map this event is on?

Try this: Common Event 019: Lake Monster Kills Boy
Set Trigger to Parallel Process. Set condition switch to 0297:Armor Up. In the body, add a conditional branch: Timer 0 min 0 sec or less.
In the main handler, have your player character teleport to a relevant location on the main map, and then copy paste Sam the Swimmer's death. Make sure you delete the original instance that's outside the conditional branch.
ok I think this is what you mean. But I tested it and made no difference.
pianotm
Okay, what's happening? That looks like it should be working.

Did you remember to delete the the Jedd Gets Gear event? That might be interfering.

Is the timer at least working?
author=pianotm
Okay, what's happening? That looks like it should be working.

Did you remember to delete the the Jedd Gets Gear event? That might be interfering.

Is the timer at least working?

I thought you meant to cut everything after 'else' in the common event and paste it under the timer. I just noticed that Depending on where it checks the common event it can't find the lake monster event because it doesn't exist in the shops. Which event number did you mean for Jedd gets gear. I have two.
pianotm
Yes, that sounds right. Okay. You're right. The common event can't do anything specific to maps, like moving creatures unless it's the player character. You should get rid of both of Jedd Gets Gear events (or repurpose one for what I'm about to suggest.).

Create a new switch. On the map screen where the event actually happens, create a new event (or change the jedd gets gear event for that map). Set that event to trigger on the new switch. Set it to autorun. Starting from
@>Text: 'sam the swimmer', 4, normal, bottom

:\n<Sam the Swimmer>OH, NO! IT'S COMING FOR ME!

Copy paste that entire scene onto your on-map event that you've just created and delete it from your common event (keep the conditional branch, Transparency On, and transfer command.). Make sure your move commands are targeting the proper on screen events. Go ahead and trigger that event inside that conditional branch after your transfer command. See if that works.
Why do I need to make a new switch?
pianotm
If you put the cutscene in an on-map event, which you'll have to in order to get the move events to work, you'll need to call it. Unless you have another way of calling the event.
author=pianotm
If you put the cutscene in an on-map event, which you'll have to in order to get the move events to work, you'll need to call it. Unless you have another way of calling the event.

The armor up switch is the one that switches on the conditional branch event that called the common event. But now that I removed the common event and added the info to the main map I was confused as to why I need another switch. Switching it to autorun prevents the character from moving. I think there are too many moving parts and I'll have to switch the minigame to a separate map. Because it still isn't working.
pianotm
I think there are too many moving parts and I'll have to switch the minigame to a separate map. Because it still isn't working.

No, the autorun isn't working because you tied it to the switch that starts the quest. Of course, it wouldn't work. Why would you think using the switch that turned on the beginning of the quest could also be used to turn on the end of the quest? That's why I told you to make a new switch.

You clearly misunderstood. You weren't getting rid of the whole common event. You still need that to track the timer. You need to leave your transfer event and conditional branch in the common event. Don't put it on the map event. Only put the cutscene in the map event, have it turn on with a new switch, and have your common event turn that switch on when the countdown reaches zero. Have the common event call a new switch and have that turn on the cutscene.
author=pianotm
I think there are too many moving parts and I'll have to switch the minigame to a separate map. Because it still isn't working.
No, the autorun isn't working because you tied it to the switch that starts the quest. Of course, it wouldn't work. Why would you think using the switch that turned on the beginning of the quest could also be used to turn on the end of the quest? That's why I told you to make a new switch.

You clearly misunderstood. You weren't getting rid of the whole common event. You still need that to track the timer. You need to leave your transfer event and conditional branch in the common event. Don't put it on the map event. Only put the cutscene in the map event, have it turn on with a new switch, and have your common event turn that switch on when the countdown reaches zero. Have the common event call a new switch and have that turn on the cutscene.

The switch that starts the quest is on a player touch event. It starts the timer and turns on the armor up. This would be a lot easier for me to follow if you added screenshots of what it is supposed to look like. Following your directions I got it to work but now the screen flickers in and out before the game over. There is also the timer not showing up on the screen in the shops. But it still works. switch
pianotm
Yeah, after the last post, I opened a project and started fiddling with it to see if I could set up a series of screenshots if I failed to make myself clear enough again.

For the screen flicker; I don't see anything in your eventing that could be causing the screen to flicker before the game over. It looks fine to me. Do you have any other unrelated parallel processes running at the same time, or any scripts affecting fading or transfers? Did you add any fade ins or fade outs to the cutscene.

One way you could fake a solution is to add your own fade out just before the screen flicker to hide it. Since this is ending on a game over, that wouldn't hurt anything unless the screen flicker happens before the end of the cutscene.

As for the timer not showing up in shops, I don't know what would cause that. It shows up across multiple maps for me without doing anything special. I'm also not seeing anything in your eventing that would cause it to disappear.
I have lots of parallel processors on the main map but I'm pretty sure none of them are active during that mini-game. That's not even the only mini-game on the map. The flicker happens during the event. I tried a couple of test maps and it doesn't show up there either.
pianotm
All I can say is to go through your processes that are unrelated to this one by one and disable them. If you have any scripts running, do the same thing with them. The problem isn't apparent, doesn't seem to be in this immediate quest line (considering you tried it in a project by itself and it worked right.), and you're the only one that really knows the project.

Bug testing is a bitch, and it can take days of work to track down one little glitch, but every one of us has to do it with our projects.
author=pianotm
All I can say is to go through your processes that are unrelated to this one by one and disable them. If you have any scripts running, do the same thing with them. The problem isn't apparent, doesn't seem to be in this immediate quest line (considering you tried it in a project by itself and it worked right.), and you're the only one that really knows the project.

Bug testing is a bitch, and it can take days of work to track down one little glitch, but every one of us has to do it with our projects.
Well, I made a copy of my game and removed one script at a time. Didn't find the cause of the flashing screen but was able to discover one of the yanfly scripts was causing the timer not to show up in the shops. Maybe you can take a look at it in your free time?
Pages: first 12 next last