ANGELSTARSTUDIOS AND SPAMMER MAIL

Pages: 1
Recently a few people have reported getting PMs from both a scammer and someone who is working on behalf of Angel Star Studios.

We've banned both of those accounts for different reasons.

The scammer is pretty obvious.

The ASS one is due to the shady practices and downright toxic behaviour of said 'studios' who have acted in bad faith towards many people they 'worked' with to release games on Steam. If you want to check out details about them, check out their name on Twitter, where some of their past 'clients' and others who have had interactions with them have shared their stories, or this thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/oxnq1t/beware_angel_star_studio/

Either way, be wary of people who promise you good, easy things. It sucks but sometimes they're out to get more than you bargained for and are only too happy to sacrifice others for their own gain.

heya receiving a few scam mail from a user by the name of "MRSEST67".

Can we have feature restrict Mail from other users beside Admin and moderators if their maker score is 0 or not post any games, forums post, etc..
author=jomarcentermjm

Can we have feature restrict Mail from other users beside Admin and moderators if their maker score is 0 or not post any games, forums post, etc..

I don't think that's a good idea considering there's a fair amount of people who don't get MS but still comment on games/contact devs for various reasons via PM. This is actually the first time in a LONG time that we've seen this kind of spam. It's just weird to get it back to back like this so suddenly so I wanted to make people aware of both.

If you do get any other spam messages (though unlikely) just PM me or one of the mods to let us know and we'll revisit what we can do if it becomes a bigger issue. But for now, it's seemingly a one-off.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I sometime get contacted by people who have no maker score to ask me questions about how to do something, etc... (ie. How to use the GTBS battle system is an example. Or, how do I get past a certain section in your game, haven't gotten one of those in a long time though...)

Not everyone on this forum is a dev or a contributor, so it would be a problem to limit messaging.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
While I did see a notification concerning the spammer on Discord, it would not hurt to have been sent notifications on-site too. Especially if it concerns questionable and/or shady PMs, and one is logged on anyway.

Or, maybe that's just me being an old fogey.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Liberty
jomarcentermjm

I don't think that's a good idea considering there's a fair amount of people who don't get MS but still comment on games/contact devs for various reasons via PM. This is actually the first time in a LONG time that we've seen this kind of spam. It's just weird to get it back to back like this so suddenly so I wanted to make people aware of both.

If you do get any other spam messages (though unlikely) just PM me or one of the mods to let us know and we'll revisit what we can do if it becomes a bigger issue. But for now, it's seemingly a one-off.

Yeah, the vast majority of active users on this site, you actually never see because they really only use it for networking with other game devs and for developing their games.

I did try to warn people about AngelStarStudios on Twitter, but that went a lot of nowhere. I keep him on my follow list so that I can keep an eye on what he's doing but he is the perfect angel (pun intended) there. He's crazy careful about what he does publically.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
How come everyone other than me got the spam email :(
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I wouldn't say "everyone" got them if only because I didn't get them either, but, certainly, a good number of people got them, from what I understand.
I got TWO.

Yes, I'm still the BIG DOG 'round these parts
author=jomarcentermjm

If you want to block messages from a user, simply visit his/her profile page, left-click their name and select "Add user to ignore list".
^
Yes, but in this case that account was the spammer I talked about here and is permabanned so there's not really a use to XD
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Feeling kind of left out. At the same time, I'm kind of glad. Scambaiting is fun, but I would have wasted so much time with it.
I've had my experiences with Angel Star Studios, and he is a very twisted individual, luckily, nothing bad happened to me, but the stuff he did over the short time I knew him was straight-up despicable.

If you do see this individual or he contacts you, block him immediately. He cannot be trusted. He's very egotistical and just a straight-up bastard of a human being. He had people send death threats to a buddy of mine as well, which I couldn't forgive!

He also claims works he says he will do for others and then somewhere down the line claim it as his own. And he tried this with two people I know. He was quickly banned on the PGM Steam Community, and the itch.io PGM community, and discord as well.

He doxxed one of the people of Playism, and one of the creators of the Pixel Game Maker MV program.

He also goes by the name Tenkai, so beware that name as well.

As aomeone who got "harrased" myself from the same person after he is salty for getting a negative review over a review copy (banned my guide, banned me from all of their community hub, revoked a review copy key of another game, asked my personal info from someone else in order to "sue" me), i can confirm that tenkai star/ ass/ angel star studios isn't someone whom you should work with. He has a childish behavior for a "publisher" and has been constantly seeking for attention ever since. Do not associate yourself with him.
author=kentona
I got TWO.

Yes, I'm still the BIG DOG 'round these parts

I got three. I'm sorry to the two others who were denied this wonderful experience on my account.
Just for the record: I got an (uninvited) mail from someone named Aubreymanahan12 offering me the "help" of some "Lanot Game Studio" which sounds pretty much like what you're describing here.
author=Garage
Just for the record: I got an (uninvited) mail from someone named Aubreymanahan12 offering me the "help" of some "Lanot Game Studio" which sounds pretty much like what you're describing here.

Yeah, I looked into them. While they appear to be a legit business, I have banned the account due to them ignoring my warning against spamming. RIP to them.

TBH, they seem more like a MOBA game type group, if anything, based on their site and clientele.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I got something from Aubreymanahan12 too, but it looks like you already dealt with it. Apparently they came across Othello, a game I released 6 years ago... Yeah, seems sort of spammish... And here I was so excited to get a message in my inbox, lol.
author=Garage

I've had this person message me on two different sites so I had to google his username to see if I wasn't the only one lmao
I admit I didn't take rumors about ASS seriously, largely because I only knew of them from people who misunderstood my intentions to befriend them because I'm ELS. Now that I'm seeing this on RMN, a trustworthy site, I'm worried. It's scary to think someone could steal my project I love with all my heart by tricking me into doing something I don't fully understand.
Pages: 1