THE CHOSEN RPG

Pages: 1

"The Chosen RPG" is among the numerous RPG Maker games available on Steam that presents itself as a hentai game and makes use of the nudity tag to appeal to those looking for some digital sleaze. Though why you'd pay for that sort of stuff when you can find endless amounts of it for free online is beyond me. Though oddly enough "The Chosen RPG" probably isn't sleazy enough to qualify as a hentai game since it's adult content boils down to all of the playable female characters running around in their undergarments.

Sadly the only real reason to play this game is to look at portraits of half naked women. Something which really doesn't appeal to me as much as used to it since I'm no longer a horny teenager. As for how I'd describe the rest of the game's issues. I'd basically sum them up as being common issues found in people's early projects from questionable mapping decisions to over priced items. As a result I really wouldn't recommend picking this one up since you'll probably just find yourself getting bored with the game's bland characters or even blander combat system.

Though, I'd say my biggest annoyance with this game is that it ends on a cliffhanger with the developer expecting you to pay even more money for the sequel. A sequel that contains even less content if the reviews for that game are to be believed.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I'm jealous of this game purely for the fact that it probably cost the dev $0 to make not counting what they spent on the engine (if they didn't pirate it), and they probably made their money back long ago anyway.
I'm guessing the developer had to put down some money to get this game up on steam as well, but even if you take that into account they probably still turned a profit on this game. Which is pretty depressing considering the game's overall quality is lower then some of the RPG Maker games you can find online for free.

Jeez, I'd argue Super Lesbian Horses RPG is a better game and that's a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fan game where the mane six are lip locking lesbians who follow the orders of an insane Princess Twilight that builds friendship dungeons. And you can even get into an optional boss fight with Danny DeVito for reasons I can't even begin to imagine. At least if they went for John de Lancie I could make an educated guess on why he's an optional boss since he did voice Chaos in the show.

Yeah, I actually did a review for this game back in the day. I also have a Let's Play for the game for those that are curious.

Though it looks like the download links for this game have been taken down over the years. So I don't know how easy it would be to get a hold of this anymore if you want to check it out yourself.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
If you're like me, and try to browse Steam for any kind of RPG, you'll know there are a) a lot of RPG Maker asset flips, b) a lot of asset flips in general, across all genres and c) a boatload of H-games. IIRC, I thought it costs ~$100 USD to submit a game to Steam, but it's still frustrating to see a distinct lack of quality control.

Eh, there's always GOG. Or Itchio. Let alone quality, free RM games like the stuff found here. Literally no reason to look for most RM games on Steam, not counting games made by RM communities (Cope Island: Adrift, Venaitura, Tales From Zilmurik, etc).

Ah, wasn't there some kind of drama surrounding Super Lesbian Horses?
"If you're like me, and try to browse Steam for any kind of RPG, you'll know there are a) a lot of RPG Maker asset flips, b) a lot of asset flips in general, across all genres and c) a boatload of H-games."

Oh, I'm quite aware of all three of those things. After all, I've spent dozens of hours looking at games that are on sale for $.49 over the years. I've even picked up a bunch of them to see how bad they are.

"I thought it costs ~$100 USD to submit a game to Steam, but it's still frustrating to see a distinct lack of quality control."

I'm pretty sure it does, but that isn't enough to stop people from making cheap asset flips since thousands of people are likely to buy them anyway. Whether this is because they want to brag about the size of their Steam library or because their looking for easy steam achievements is beyond me. I mean if we take a look at "The Chosen RPG" and assume that 1 in every 50 people that bought the game left a review. Then that would mean at least 49,350 people bought the game. And while I'm guessing most of those were when the game was on sale for $.49. That still adds up to over $20,000. Though how much of a cut steam takes from that is beyond me.

Though, I'll admit it's difficult to know for sure what the ratio between total buyers and reviewers is but the ratio tends to vary between 30 - 100 copies sold for every review in most instances from what I've been told online. So, I'm guessing the developer made their money back and then some at this point.

Though, I'll admit one of the discussion threads on steam for this game really showcases when it was released since their are posts about Anita Sarkeesian in there. And that's probably enough said right there.

"Literally no reason to look for most RM games on Steam,"

Agreed, but I'm sometimes a masochist that likes to Let's Play really bad games. It's why I have plans to cover XRPG at some point in the future.

"Ah, wasn't there some kind of drama surrounding Super Lesbian Horses?"

According to the page that originally hosted the download link they were asked to take down the game by the people that own "My Little Pony" for using copyrighted characters.

There might be a lot more to it, but I really don't care to look into it. Apparently the developer planned on taking the game and expanding upon it anyway to make Super Lesbian Animal RPG. So basically the same game with the My Little Pony characters replaced with more generic furries.

You can find a demo on itchio for SLARPG, but it looks like the remake never got past the demo stage.
Pages: 1