NEED HELP TRYING TO REWRITE VILLIAN TO MAKE IT APPROPRIATE HERE

Pages: 1
I'm coming up with the plot for next project where it's going to be reversed fantasy. However, I've got a bit of a potential problem when it comes to the villain.

A popular theme when it comes to villains is that if they're a wizard, they're trying to attain immortality, etc. So, in reverse, this guy is trying to kill himself or have himself killed. His initial plans of using poison or hiring assassins have failed, and no one he interviews these days ever seem to be up to the standard he desires.

I know that the rules for submissions get concerned when it comes these kinds of subjects being included in games. I have my doubts that this would be acceptable.

Does any one have suggestions on how this could be approached differently?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I can't tell whether this is a serious story or a comedy but either way I can't really see what you think would be a problem
It's supposed to be funny (I hope), there's going to be nothing too serious or gloomy in this game. I was just trying to plan ahead, didn't want to begin writing the plot if it was just going to be disallowed here.

It's mostly going to be making fun of the traditional things in fantasy. Villain doesn't live in a tower, lives in your average hut, that kind of thing.

Thanks for the response LockeZ. Seems like everything should be fine.
I'm gonna guess the problem is why doesn't he just slit his own throat or something? Or why he even needs to die in the first place. If you're not trying to make it a comedy I would just invent a reason as to why he needs to make it look like it wasn't a suicide, yet also make it so untraceable that the would be killer wasn't hired by him.

I can imagine a scenario where he's trying to sacrifice himself to revive an old god or whatever to get some kind of personal revenge. So he needs to gather magic power like some orbs, so he gets the heroes to collect it for him claiming he needs to PREVENT some sort of calamity when in actuality he's trying to cause it.

But the kicker is that he dresses up as a monster (or uses an illusion) and maybe the supposed boss fight has him with really low HP. While the heroes are holding the magic orbs or whatever and that convoluted plan leads to fighting the actual thing that he summoned as the real boss. Maybe the person he's trying to get revenge on is one of the heroes, adding more to the motivations.

Just spitballing here I have no idea what the plot of your game is or what. I don't think you always need originality so much as complications to make things not seem as they are.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
From a comedy perspective, I like the idea that he spent too much time leveling up as a tank class, and now he has way too much HP and defense, and very low attack power and magic power. So that even if he's completely naked, all his attacks do 0 damage to himself. Just completely break the fourth wall with it, having him reference his stats and levels and the amount of time he spent grinding.

Maybe he did it by accident; he was level 1 and trying to get the basic abilities from the Guardian class, and joined a party that was really high level and they killed a level 840 boss, and so he instantly gained hundreds of levels as a Guardian. In the process he gained a bunch of passive abilities like immunity to instant death, immunity to all status ailments, immunity to percentage-based damage, automatic counterattacks, and automatic HP regeneration of 1% per round.

Now he wants to to kill himself so he can restart his character from level 1, but he literally can't. Maybe nobody else in the world breaks the fourth wall and they all think he's crazy?

As a villain, his goal is to obtain the strongest weapons in the world, so that he can stab himself with them. He also gets in a fight with the player party every time he sees them, because getting in fights with strong-looking people is just generally a good idea in his situation. Unfortunately he keeps accidentally winning with counterattacks and gaining even more EXP, or just stalemating them and ending the battle after a few rounds.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Hi moonwolf to answer your question the situation you mentioned is not against the rules of RMN. It wouldn't be disallowed even if you included some pixel blood, since from what you mention it's not really an edgy thing but played for laughs.
I don't think having suicide in a game would be against any rules, unless it's explicitly glorifying suicide or something. If this character is a villain, I don't think they're exactly being glorified, nor would I see it as a problem if they're doing committing suicide for an exceptional enough reason, like lighting themselves on fire to keep the world existing for another couple thousand years.

Anyway, what comes to my mind is Soul Calibur's Zasalamel, who is technically immortal, but is trying to find a way to permanently kill himself. When he dies, he's reborn into another body with his memories and his wonky golden eyeball, but he's reached a mix of tiredness with the world and the pain of being reborn is excruciating enough that he wants to find a way to stop him from reincarnating again.

The difference here is that when he dies, he's out of commission as a threat for 30+ years, as he has to go through childhood and all that, so that kind of immortality isn't quite enough for a menacing villain. But I think his motivations are pretty clear and work well for a villain. Just like Zasalamel thinks ramming Soul Calibur and/or Soul Edge into his skull will perma-kill him, have the villain seek to try to use/steal/destroy some key object in their quest for self-annihilation. Something other people either want to protect or otherwise want to get their own hands on.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
"What? You... you wanted to be defeated!?"

So, the game I'm linking to involves a villain that undergoes a ritual where the intent was to be able to fake his death, and continue his plans unhindered (or at least less hindered) when he revives. However, a difficulty arises, and the ritual ends up with his soul being exchanged with that of the hero that "slayed" him.

That hero becomes head of the main governmental/political/military body of the game, and said entity gradually becomes more and more corrupt, and things go from there to eventually involve the playable cast.
LockeZ
Interviewer: "What is your primary motivation for all of the evils you commit?"
Kefka: "I want to rule over everyone, like an all-powerful god."
Sephiroth: "I will use this planet's life energy to find the promised land."
Magus: "I want revenge on the creature that destroyed my civilization."
Sylvanas: "The cycle of life and death is cruel, and I will set us all free of it."
This guy: "My build is unsalvageable."
He could be an immortal like in Highlander who is looking for a way to lose his immortality and die. And, rather than a magician, he can be the opposite, a scientist. Alternative to dying is, in Highlander, the immortals aren't capable of reproduction; so your villain could be trying to lose his immortality so that he can have children. He could say stuff like "I'm trying to lose unlimited power," and "I'm trying to unlock the key to terminal youth."
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I see no problem with your premise at all.

A person who is immortal seeks to become mortal at any cost, to be set free from his prison.

How you word and frame thing is important. Star Trek Voyager has an episode where an immortal man requested death and was granted it at the end of the episode. It can be done.
Pages: 1