VIDEO GAME CRITIC WAGER 2022

Pages: first 1234 next last

We did something in 2020. Last year I didn't do this because I was tired and quite busy. But now I'm pretty bored lately and would like to do the great privileged past time: betting on video games scores. It's fantasy football but for video game nerds.

How it works:

This page explains it better than I can, so we pick games we think we'll do well throughout the year (and ones that might not do well). It's not necessarily about game quality or sales, but how well we think they'll pander to reviewers (websites and magazines). Which is interesting to speculate on as the games aren't out yet and there are several factors to predict. There are some pitfalls to watch out for, if a game isn't even released this year (delayed into the next year) that will count as a zero. There are ways to drop a game before it releases, but there are restrictions on such a thing. If you're feeling risky you can also counter pick someone's existing pick. Other things to note is that I've set rereleases, yearly sports games, remasters (non-remakes), etc. will not be included. The list will likely focus on new mainstream releases. Some of the rules might be hard to keep in mind, but we'll figure it out together. The main thing is to just have fun.

How to participate:

1. Sign up for an account if you don't have one (Preferably make your display the same as your forum user)
2. Ask me to invite you to join this league (Post your display name and # here)
3. Create a publisher name (Basically the pretend banner your putting your games under, a fictional brand)
4. Wait for others to join up, draft order will depend on who joined first
5. We then take turns drafting, we'll probably do it passively much like a forum game than in real-time (each person will get 6 games to start)
6. Sit on our asses and wait for the games to come out and occasionally pick more up as the year goes on.

This is all done inside the system so nothing has to be organized here other than who's joining (post your display name+#). The soft deadline date for drafting will be the end of January, I can extend it depending on how the interest goes.

THE LEAGUE

THINGS TO NOTE: Remasters and ports are off limits (Remakes like RE2/FF7 are fine) (you can check the banned tags in the options list), bidding is now public, it's also possible to trade games but the feature isn't in yet. Also there are some required tags to make things more interesting like having to pick at least 3 new gaming franchises/ip)

Entrants---

Darken
lordbluerouge
Shinan
Jeff (outsider)
Liberty
kirinja
kory_toombs
Sign me UP! the first year we did this, the results surprised me! I had no idea the Trials of Mana remake would do so well,
awkward costumes aside. and I regret not betting on it.

Streets of Rage 4 was another game I had bet on. Along with the DLC they released about a year later, this turned out to be one of my most played games on the switch for the past two year.

There was a lot of really neat surprises, especially with how CyberPunk turned out.
Looking forward to what else comes out from this.
I can't believe Vampire: Bloodlines 2 isn't out yet.

Shinan #2417
Another thing, I'll be adding my friend Jeff to add to the head count and just so he can play in a bigger group.
Are we about to start this or do we still look for interested parties? Basically I want to draft Rainbow Six: Extraction before it comes out :P
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

kory_toombs

author=Shinan
Are we about to start this or do we still look for interested parties? Basically I want to draft Rainbow Six: Extraction before it comes out :P

I'll shoot for Jan 16th for entrants closing, we probably have enough now as I've also added another friend. Though it'll still depend on how long it takes to get through drafting. Pokemon Arceus is also coming out late Jan so that's also an interesting close pick.
Drafting has started! We'll be going in order of who joined, so watch the league to see if its your turn to pick.
decided to go with a safe choice: Gran Turismo 7.
SunflowerGames

If I remember correctly, being last lets me draft 2 games in a row.

I was last in our previous draft.

I think I might go indie instead of triple A.
For drafting it's best to go with the well known hits because the secret indies you can always pick up later.
SunflowerGames

My strategy belief is that indie games have a more likely chance of getting a higher score. I got a really good score off of Omi last time. This isn't about how much money a game can make, so I can pick obscure titles and still win.
Also to speed up drafting there's an auto-draft feature that will chose games from your watchlist (assuming someone else hasn't drafted them yet).
SunflowerGames

I got Hollowknight and Stray.

I also watchlisted 2 games, didn't know u could do that.
Pokémon Legends: Arceus early review scores getting 80s

Eurogamer 'Recommended'
VGC 5/5
Telegraph 5/5
Vooks 4.5/5
VG247 4/5
Game Informer 8.75
Gamespot 8
Shacknews 8
Inverse 8
GameCentral 8

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1486340329292894216

Damn, I considered it but I was worried it'd suffer from technical issues or how vague the open world pokemon game promise was.

SunflowerGames

How did it exactly auto draft my counter pick? Just drafted a random game?
...shit, Chocobo GP is gonna cost me :sweatblob:.
The original was a middling mario kart with final fantasy properties.
I expected the same from the sequel. which is why I went for it, but 3.5/5s don't really move the industry.

Also, I went for Final Fantasy 7: EverCrisis. The mobile episode remake for android phones - It looks kind of dicey, but the pixel remasters were warmly received as far as publications go, so we'll have to see how this own turns out.

Back to you Darken. (RMN Fantasy Critic Theme Music 2022 plays)

EDIT: Really wanted to see how Dragon Quest III HD-2D and Among Us VR would've turned out,
but they might be vaporware at this point

Also went with NBA 2k22, cause the 2K series has always
been know as the bargin underdog of yearly sports titles,
but after looking at the user reviews for 2k21...maybe this was a bad idea....shit.
author=kory_toombs
How did it exactly auto draft my counter pick? Just drafted a random game?

For counterpicks, the game with the highest counterpick % site-wide will be chosen.

Yeah it's weird there's not an option to make counter picks manual during autodraft.
SunflowerGames

There should be a list system, like for normal drafting. While you keep track of what other people draft, you can change you counter picks, might be better. Or since its a counterpick, you should just be able to draft it whenever you want. If you don't wait for the draft to finish, that's putting a disadvantage to you.

Pages: first 1234 next last