VIDEO GAME CRITIC WAGER 2022

Was able to scrap by the greedy/predatory Chocobo GP with a 68%. (-1)

...Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin currently at 77?! :eyeshake::rip:
IGN 8 / 10
Eurogamer No Recommendation (yet)
GamesRadar+ 2.5 / 5
Game Informer 7 / 10
GameSpot 7 / 10
Destructoid 8.5 / 10
Hobby Consolas 70 / 100
VG247 3 / 5

https://opencritic.com/game/12854/stranger-of-paradise-final-fantasy-origin
Been meaning to update but a lot of games came out this month, might as well do a roundup. Score left and points right.

Elden Ring9531
Gran Turismo 78717
Chocobo GP66-4COUNTERED
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin733COUNTERED
Triangle Strategy8513
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarök766
Babylon's Fall42-17
Tunic8515COUNTERED
GhostWire Tokyo766
Kirby and the Forgotten Land8515

Biggest lol is me dropping Babylon's Fall and my friend Nick picking it up. Also my friend jeff counter picked Tunic by accident cause he didn't know how counter picks worked. Funny thing is both me and Jeff know the creator of Tunic IRL since Tunic is made where I live.

Elden Ring uh... might have won me the whole league lol sorry guys. Unless Metroid Prime 4 comes out...
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

My counter picks worked out well. -0 for a cancelled game and actually picking up +4 for a poorly reviewed game. I'm putting my big point faith in Hollowknight, don't let me down.
Vampire Swansong took the L as I predicted, yet Stanley Parable got the W and now me and Shinan are actually neck and neck, damn.
What surprised me this year was Gran Turismo and Chocobo GP, both seemed like no brainer "safe choice" racing games.
But then they secretly both introduced greedy underhanded microtransactions.
GT had an 88 and dropped to a 87, okay. cool.
But then Chocobo GP started with a 66 rose to 70, then a 68 then a 65 (-5)

lol, this fantasy critic stuff is brutal, This is like war. I'm never gonna look at review scores the same way again lmao.

Like, it's not just review scores. bad press can factor in too, holy shit. I can't believe it.
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge absolutely rules!" - Polygon
https://opencritic.com/game/13252/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-shredders-revenge

PC Gamer 79 / 100
PlayStation LifeStyle 9.5 / 10
Nintendo Life 9 / 10
The Outerhaven Productions 4.5 / 5
SECTOR.sk 8.5 / 10
Saving Content 5 / 5
Seasoned Gaming 10 / 10
WayTooManyGames 9.5 / 10

Update:
Held 2nd place for the summer months,
just writing this down, cause things could change in fall
Metal Slug Tactics got delayed

feeling good.
My bet on Saint's Row backfired. I had thought it'd be in the mid 70s on legacy alone!

Also finding a "new franchise" game before it's out and one that is not in early access is really hard...

(I have to take issue with "Live a Live" being a new franchise since it's a remake though :P)
Video games are incredibly popular, and some sociologists even include professional gamers in the list of professions of the future.
I don't get the bots that just list factoids that sound like they came from 2001, whats their aim? What's their endgame?

Also I guess there's a close call between me and LBR, kinda snuck up on me actually. I guess it really pays to have the steady 80s. Feel like its gonna come down to Bayo 3 vs Pokemon or some shit
Alright well this one at least had a phishing url

lbr taking the lead, bro i fell off

basically the next pokemon has to be shit and bay 3 better be the best bayonettas ever been
I think what did it for me was realizing stuff like Chocobo Racing and Strangers in Paradise weren't going to turn out like I thought they would - like 3/5 games, are my favorite cause they usually have the most interesting ideas but the poorest execution - but that's not what's going to win here, what's going to win is the 80s - So sticking to safe choices with relatively short release windows helped. But doesn't make that much of an interesting year for betting.

author=Shinan
(I have to take issue with "Live a Live" being a new franchise since it's a remake though :P)
Yea Live-A-Live really should've been listed as a remake
. We could probably remove it to make things more fair

I didn't think Live-A-Live would turn out that good honestly. But the reaction to the trailer on nintendo direct, made me want to add it immediately.The review on Polygon was really divisive. but thankfully other places saw what it was trying to do, and reviewed it favorably. But it's also kind of a testament to the romhacking community - I don't think it'd ever even be considered for a western release, if it wasn't for that english patch and word of mouth - There's a special nod to Byuu/Near, the creator of the BSNES in the remake, which is really cool too.

Honestly...NBA2k23 was a really cool surprised. I didn't think it'd do that well this year, since last years release suffered due to the pandemic.
It certainly helped that this years release was plastered everywhere on the Playstation store though.

...2k3 for life!!
I dropped Marvel's Midnight Sun when it got delayed and then it got undelayed and I picked it right back up :D

But I still need a new gaming franchise. I was looking at Skull&Bones as a contender but that game has had some real bad press and Ubisoft games are not the safe 80-ish the once were! (I was so certain R6 Extraction would be a safe 80...)
Coming up to the end, damn Shinan is catching up. Here I'm hoping River City Girls 2 can beat Pokemon, a weird gamble.
Required theme music, while looking at current stats going into finals:

...A real nailbiter here Tom. I have a feeling Ever Crisis is going to dip out, despite the mid-year mobile footage we've seen.
A massive mistake I did though was that I didn't know Tactics Ogre: Reborn was just a remaster when I looked at what to pick for my last slots. I thought it was a regular remake. And I can't drop it and replace it either so that's a 0-pointer for me.
https://opencritic.com/game/13350/pok-mon-scarlet-violet

reviews rolling in for pokemon, looking like a 7

still no River City Girls 2 release date and it's mid November so I might be screwed still.