MARREND PLAYS HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC 3 COMPLETE!

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Being able to slay an Ancient Behemoth, or protect a turf from wandering monsters, is one thing. It is another matter entirely to vie against an enemy force. Or, in the case of this next challenge, to vie against three enemies.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <Sandals of the Saint>, 5 Cyclops, Cyclops Cave
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns and defeat their heroes (achieved week 2, day 7)

Marrend
The time has come to face-off against Duke Boragus, himself. The Festival of Life is not the time, or place, for diplomacy. This is a contest where the winner lives to sit upon the throne of Krewold, and the loser dies. No holds barred.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <Lion's Shield of Courage>, Upgraded Ogre Fort, 3 Thunderbirds
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved week 1, day 7)

Campaign ends here. Spent 53 in-game days, earning me a score of 1305 (5th place), and a title of Pit Fiend.

As a small aside, yes, I did Clan War yesterday, but, wasn't particularly confident with posting on that day, given the wacky state of the site. Though, I'm really wondering if it's even worth continuing this thread, given how bare bones the scenario stories/descriptions are. Would it actually be more appropriate to steam this stuff on the Discord channel? I dunno.
Marrend
An undead plague spreads across the land. This is not the work of some stay necromancer practicing their art, though, that could be bad enough as it is. No, somebody is slaughtering the peasants, and using their corpses to raise an army.

While I have written letters to the Erathian mainland expressing my doubts and fears, the hope for reinforcements is dim. I am probably on my own. Still, I should make some attempt to stem the tide.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Still Eye of the Dragon, Talisman of Mana, <Quiet Eye of the Dragon>
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved week 3, day 5)
Marrend
I now know who leads the undead horde. Lord Haart, who had been executed for colluding with Deyja, has resurfaced as a Death Knight.

While there has been no word of Erathian reinforcements, it occurs to me that protecting what outlying houses still stand might stem the undead scourge somewhat.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <20 Gnoll Marauders>, 10 Lizard Warriors, 5 Dragon Flies
Win Condition: Flag all creature dwellings (achieved month 2, week 1, day 1)

Flagging all creature dwellings in Griffin Cliff wasn't so bad. However, doing it here felt like a retread of Taming of the Wild, where I had to scour the map for the missing dwellings I missed. It was hard enough on my aging, poor, eyeballs in Taming of the Wild, and it proved just as difficult here, too. The fact that the map was huge didn't help. To say nothing about how neither wandering creatures, nor creature dwellings, have any kind of pop up on a View Map window.

I would not expect wandering monsters to be highlighted with View Map, though, I'm certainly not excusing Taming of the Wild in any way by saying this. Creature dwellings, however, are things a player can control, and probably should be highlighted/indicated in some way, shape, or form.

*Edit: I swear, if I see another win-con like these on extra-large maps, I'm gonna break out Cheat Engine to have infinite movement and infinite mana.
Marrend
The strike against Lord Haart begins in earnest. It will not be enough to vanquish him, alone. I must vanquish his followers as well. Otherwise, they might bring him back yet again. They reside both on the surface, and below ground in a large swath of territory. It won't be easy.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <30 Lizardmen>, 10 Serpent Flies, 5 Basilisks
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved week 2, day 4)

Campaign ends with this scenario. 59 in-game days spent, granting me a score of 1400 (5th place), and the title of Genie.
Marrend
A Crystal Dragon is a construct that is quite the accomplishment to create. To defeat one is an even greater feat. Thus, I set out to slay one of these beasts on my path to the title of Dragon Slayer.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 5 Naga, <3 Titans>, Tome of Earth Magic
Win Condition: Defeat a Crystal Dragon (achieved week 2, day 4)

Not a scenario-specific note, but a campaign-wise note. This is probably going to be the least interesting one for me to play, simply because of it's concept. I'll be going up against various types of dragons, most of which are immune to Armageddon. Whereas the campaign-centered hero is a Tower faction hero, whose units do not require an Orb of Vulnerability for Armageddon to do it's thing. This isn't to say that I can't (or won't) hire a hero that could need said Orb, but, the premise/feel of the campaign is that he's doing this alone.
Marrend
I've gotten word of a number of Rust Dragons terrorizing mines. While restoring production and livelihoods are a side benefit, I'm mostly doing it to hone my skills and reputation as a Dragon Slayer.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <1 Titan>, 4 Naga Queens, Altar of Wishes
Win Condition: Flag all mines (achieved week 2, day 3)

The fact that Rust Dragons have a natural speed of 17 certainly make them annoying to fight. Even with the suite of artifacts that I give to adventuring heroes to increase creature speed rates in combat (Ring of the Wayfarer, Necklace of Swiftness, Cape of Velocity), it's not impossible for the Rust Dragons to get the first attack in. They still die to my sizeable armies, but, the point of fact is that they die before I can Armageddon, and therefore, gain more troops.

However, when I eliminated Purple Player, I just kinda shrugged at the game, and decided to Cheat Engine the rest of the map.
Marrend
With rumors of Faerie Dragons running about, I present myself to investigate the matter, and to eliminate them, should they actually exist.

Turns out they did exist, though, as one could imagine, some faerie trickery was involved. Nothing I couldn't handle, of course.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Mage Guild Level 4, Altar of Wishes, <Orb of the Firmament>
Win Condition: Defeat a Faerie Dragon (achieved week 3, day 1)
Marrend
Rumors of Azure Dragons have surfaced. As other dragons are also nesting in the area, it would be an undoubitble achievement for a Dragon Slayer.

As with the Faerie Dragons, there were teleporters about, whisking me off to goodness-knows-where in search of the mighty beast.

The teleporters were ultimately the way forwad into the lair of the Azure, and soon, the corpse of the beast lay before me.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <2 Titans>, 10000 Gold, 10 Gems
Win Condition: Defeat an Azure Dragon (achieved week 3, day 1)

This scenario is the last in this campaign. I spent 51 days, and earned a scored of 1610 (3rd place), and the title of Scorpicore.

I've been UGEing movement at the beginning of each in-game week lately. The value I set it to is 9000, which is about three in-game days of travel, give or take, and is done to speed things up a bit. With this map, I was beginning to notice a pattern of heroes crisscrossing the map, with teleporters sending me to the next layer, and just being annoying to traverse, even with Dimension Door. On the dawn of week 3, I UGEd it to 30000 instead, so, ten days worth of movement, and, well, yeah.
Marrend
Just sit right back, and you'll hear a tale. A tale of a fateful trip. It started from a topic port, aboard a tiny ship.

While all I really wanted was a vacation, I end up get stranded on this island, populated by strange creatures that tell me to follow a cobblestone road. If I didn't keep finding forks in the road, perhaps the instruction would be more welcome.

Even when I did arrive at the location in question, the place was a ruin. I was really to build a capital here? It was a test of human ingenuity, and lots, and lots of patience.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 6 Orcs, <+3 Attack>, Basic Wisdom
Win Condition: Build a Capital at Strongglen (achieved week 3, day 1)

So, this is kinda a joke campaign, with the setup somewhat referencing Gilligan’s Island, and The Wizard of Oz in various events within this specific scenario. Not to mention that I think the intent of certain events that occur at various forks in the road is that you also find a kitchen fork for additional pun value.

What I find interesting/annoying is that while the campaign win condition is to build a Capital in Strongglen, it's possible to build one in the other towns that exist on this map. Keep in mind that a player can only control one Capital at any given time. So, if you happen to capture a town that has a Capital, and you've already got one, the new town's Capital gets downgraded to a City Hall. On the other hand, if you capture a town that has a Capital, and you don't already have one, WELP, YOU DO NOW!
Marrend
What I had thought was a sure-fire way to get off this island turned out to be a dead end. The natives were of no help in this regard, though, promises were exchanged. How far such promises will take me, however, remains to be seen.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 8 Archers, <+2 Spell Power>, Scroll of Bless
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved week 1, day 5)

The map in this scenario is basically the same as from last scenario, with a few changes. Such as certain hunts being removed from the map and having caters in their place. What really threw me for a loop was that Blue player was my ally! Not that having an AI-controlled player as an ally was particularly important, but, it wasn't something I was expecting. Normally, the map properties would give me that info, but, when doing a campaign, it just returns to the scenario overview. Which I don't think indicated any alliances?
Marrend
If it is not one thing, it is another. First, there was no navigational equipment whatsoever aboard the ship. I could only use what little astrology I knew to figure out our position and direction, and even then, only on clear nights.

So, of course, I got lost. Again. Next thing I knew, I was set upon by pirates. They did not kill me on sight. Indeed, they offered to assist me in finding a way home, but, only after swearing undying loyalty to their cause. Given my predicament, I didn't really have much choice.

Of course, a new task of conquest is laid before me. Considering my luck so far with such things, I proceed with great trepidation.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 9 Rocs, <+1 Attack and +1 Defense>, 5421 Gold
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved week 2, day 5)

That is such an odd amount of gold for the starting bonus. I wonder if that's some kind of pop culture reference, too?
Marrend
Allegiances are a fickle thing. Even in my own case, my loyalties lie in whosoever would actually get me home. My dealings with natives and pirates have gotten me no closer to that goal.

At some point, I learned of a nearby Erathian outpost. That seemed the surest way back as any I've come across so far, but was also the target of the pirates that I broke off from.

By all accounts, a relief force will arrive after four months. Since the shipwreck, I've learned to be weary of such things. Will that relief force even come? Who knows, but, I should do my best to survive for at least that long.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Scroll of Prayer, <2 Angels>, Loins of Legion
Win Condition: Four in-game months pass (achieved month 5, week 1, day 1)

I was really hoping that I could win by defeating all foes before the stated time limit. This was not the case. So, while I was able to capture all enemy towns and defeat their heroes by week 3, day 1, (so, not quite an in-game month passing) the game didn't register that as a win. Suffice it to say, the game devolved into doing nothing except passing the turn until the victory condition was met.

Aside from that, this was the last scenario in this campaign. I spend 145 in-game days, earning me a score of 1605 (4th place), and the title of Scorpicore.

As an additional aside, I've had it in the back of my head to get a new laptop for a while. However, the research in earnest started yesterday, and my general hope to to gather enough data to make a purchase by the end of the month, if not sooner. I'm not, exactly, sure what this will mean for this LP, such as it is. It's not as if I won't be able use my current machine anymore, but, the move to the new one would certainly be a distraction.
Marrend
Has it only been a year since the succession war in Enroth? I still have nightmares of the fighting, to this day. To help alleviate that, I attempted to retire in Antagarich.

Alas, Deyjan Necromancers are plaguing the land, and in the lack of experienced generals, the people look to me for assistance. I'd rather not fight again, of course, but, I also cannot entirely ignore this threat either.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 10 Wood/Ore, 8 Crystal, <Mage Guild Level 1>
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved day 1)

So, uh, yeah, this scenario was subject to heroes being hacked to have 30000 movement. There was no body of water present to stop this movement preemptively, either. I kinda feel a little regret, but, I couldn't help to notice that Gem had a custom background attached to her profile, and that messed up the positions of heroes after her. So, maybe that had soured my mood concerning this scenario to begin with.

I'll try to be more conservative with the movement UGEing next time, and we'll see how I do.
Marrend
Before I get too much further, lemme make an aside concerning the campaigns for the Shadow of Death expansion. For the most part, they're framed as a kind of "origin story", involving the few heroes that remain from previous Might and Magic games. The New Beginning campaign has it's focus on Gem.

Strictly speaking, in the context of HoM&M, she served Queen Lamanda as a Sorceress during the events of Heroes 1, and likely served under Roland during the Succession War, also as a Sorceress. This campaign outlines how she became a Druid in Heroes 3. It's been a while, but, I think Gem was originally from one of the Xeen games? Maybe MM3? Geeze, I might have to re-play those old games again. XD
Marrend
I was approached by a man by the name of Sandro, who said he was conducting research to combat necromancy. He's willing to pay considerable sums of money for the pieces he needs for his research, and the first among these is the Amulet of the Undertaker.

Something seemed rather familiar about this man, but, perhaps my own zeal to end the undead menace made me agree to his request.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Blacksmith, 15 Wood, <+1 Spell Power>
Win Condition: Acquire the Amulet of the Undertaker (achieved week 2, day 1)

In this scenario, not only does Gem retain her custom background, but Clancy has a custom background as well. While I might have expected Gem's to carry over, I wasn't, exactly, prepared for having two heroes with custom backgrounds.

The number of heroes between Clancy and Gem is minimal, but, it still mostly behooved me to hire heroes on one side or the other of that range.
Marrend
While I met with success in regards to the Amulet, Sandro had also sent out men, led by a warrior named Tarek, to retrieve another artifact for his research, the Vampire's Cowl.

The lack of word from Tarek troubled Sanrdo, and our magic divined that he had been captured. I volunteered to head the rescue, with Clancy in tow.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Town Hall, 15 Wood, <+1 Defense>
Win Condition: Bring the Vampire's Cowl to Leafhall (achieved day 4)

Getting to Tarek was a bit tricky, because the prison that contained him had two gateposts. One was a green border guard, and could be gotten past by visiting the green keymaster's tent. The other was a quest guard, which I largely assumed would ask for an artifact. However, they requested a bribe "deposit" of 40000 gold before allowing me to pass. Perhaps, in a non-UGEd game, that would be a significant sum, but, well, yeah.
Marrend
The last artifact Sandro needs are the Dead Man's Boots, which lie within Dejya, itself. Clancy is still by my side, and his aide will undoubtedly be most welcome in regards to the search.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <4000 gold>, 15 Wood, 7 Crystal
Win Condition: Bring the Dead Man's Boots to Serenity (achieved week 2, day 3)

Annoyingly, the Dead Man's Boots were behind a Quest Guard that was looking for the Sandals of the Saint. That artifact could be acquired by completing a Seer's Hut quest of delivering 25 Ghost Dragons.

There's two ways this could have happened with how I play. One method would be to have hired a hero aligned with the Necopolis faction, UGE them as normal, then send them to the Seer's Hut, and then to the Quest Gaurd. The other method is to forgo the Seer's Hut entirely, and UGE the Sandals.

By the time I recognized how the map interacted with itself, it was already week 2. This isn't a particularly lengthy time to spend on a map, but, rather than go through the motions of hiring a Necropolis-aligned hero, and what-not, I ended up just UGEing the Sandals, then Town Portal to Serenity. Though, maybe I'm still kinda pissed from "Hurry Up and Wait".

Either way, this campaign is completed! Spent all of 23 in-game days, which translates to a score of 1410 (7th place), and the title of Gorgon.
Marrend
I have trained as a cadet of the Forest Guard for many years, and the time of my graduation draws near. My first test is to clear the valley near Gaia's Crest, with other members of the Forest Guard posing as enemies.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <Spyglass>, 15 Grand Elves, 10 Sharpshooters
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns and defeat their heroes (achieved day 5)

This campaign studies the rise of Gelu, who was initially introduced to the greater Might and Magic franchise with the Armageddon's Blade campaign that I had already covered. Since he doesn't have an appearance in a main-line game, I find it somewhat difficult to call him a "hero" of the series. Then again, in the context of HoM&M 1/2, I suppose all it took to be a "hero" of the series is to be a notable NPC up to the Xeen games. With this game, it's more of a Word of God scenario.
Marrend
Concocting the Elixir of Life has come into consideration. Among the artifacts needed to make it is the Ring of Vitality. The region where it supposedly lies is strife with thugs, and other questionable characters. Some of which may have been hired by Dejya to find it.

Naturally, this is where I come in. To find it first before it falls into the hands of those ruffians, or their masters.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 10 Rouges, 2000 Gold, <Equestrian's Gloves>
Win Condition: Acquire the Ring of Vitality (achieved week 2, day 1)