MARREND PLAYS HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC 3 COMPLETE!

Pages: first prev 12345 last
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
My investigation into the necromancers in Erathia continues. In my travels, I met another Barbarian by the name of Crag Hack. It took a little convincing for him to join me in my search, but, together, we removed another sect.

As for how many sects there are left, that's another question. There is also this Wizard called Sandro that Crag mentioned.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 6000 Gold, 15 Crystal, <Boots of Polarity>
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns and defeat their heroes (achieved week 2, day 1)

Back to Yog and Crag the Hack, doing what Barbarians (and myself, one could argue) do best.
Marrend
The Council of Elders have decreed a punitive attack against the necromancers in light of the deaths of Lords Falorel, Fayette, and the Dragon Lords. For my own part, I agreed because I felt a sense of responsibility in participating in the felling of said Dragon Lords.

As for my companion, Gem, it seems she has her own past, and is more than willing to assist me in this matter. I shan't turn her down.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 15 Wood Elves, <20 Silver Pegasus>
Win Condition: Capture Castle Crypthrome (achieved day 5)

Back to Gem and Gelu, reaping their vengeance. I'm sure Gem won't be done until Sandro is buried (re-buried?) but, that's probably later.
Marrend
Four so-called heroes have risen to topple me, and my plans. Let them try. If nothing else, it could not hurt to harvest more troops from what they might send my way.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <3 Spell Power>, 3 Knowledge
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved day 3)

Here, we are re-introduced to Sandro, who's now a full-fledged lich. Despite being such in both Heroes 1 and 2. ;_;
Marrend
The multi-pronged attack was driven off, but now, I am tasked to lead an offensive. One that will not leave our borders open.

I'm simultaneously annoyed and touched that Finneas asked this task of me. Touched, because it shows he trusts me, even if that trust is misplaced. Annoyed, because he continues to show no real talent for leadership. Even a puppet king should show some ability to command.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <3 Attack>, 3 Defense
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved day 5)

One more scenario as Sandro, buffing his armies of undead even more. The opposing forces contained Yog, Crag Hack, Gem, and Gelu, who have retained their stats, skills, and spells from previous scenarios. Maybe some creatures carried over as well, because Crag Hack had a stack of 10000+ some-odd Hobgoblins, among other creatures. Or, maybe that was Armageddoned within the context of this scenario? Hard to say, as I have not ever seen the AI cast Armageddon.

While the transferred data might make a certain amount of sense, and bring consistency to the campagin, it's not particularly welcome either. Like, I'm used to just trampling over AI opponents with abandon, in case you haven't noticed. While I might regret it later, I UGEed the stats of those heroes down to more reasonable levels.

I'm terrible, I know.
Marrend
Sandro has proven a powerful foe. Given the stories told by Gem and Crag Hack, he's in control of two combination artifacts. Yog seems to think we could combat that, if we could reforge the Angelic Alliance.

As for how difficult it might be to reforge the Angelic Alliance, we've split up into two teams. For Gem and I, we seek Erathian lords that we might have to fight in order to properly "convince" them of our purpose.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 6 Rouges, Spyglass, <Boots of Speed>
Win Condition: Acquire the Sandals of the Saint, Helm of Heavenly Enlightenment, and the Necklace of Celestial Bliss (achieved day 6)

Back to Gelu and Gem. This time, they set out to find some of the components of the Angelic Alliance that Yog tore apart earlier.

This scenario was another "put these artifacts behind Quest Guards", where the "quest" was to bring either Gem or Gelu. Of course, it was easier to do those quests when I used Town Portal to towns the AI had previously controlled. XD
Marrend
It is with some irony that the Angelic Alliance that I once sundered to prove myself as a Barbarian is now to be reforged. With the assistance of Crag Hack, we set out to an area where three Barbarian tribes supposedly house three of the components. This, with the understanding that because of the nature of who we are dealing with, fighting is inevitable.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 4000 Gold, 10 Ogres, <40 Orcs>
Win Condition: Acquire the Sword of Judgement, Armor of Wonder, and the Lion's Shield of Courage (achieved week 2, day 4)

Back to Yog and Crag Hack. The artifacts in question were, of course, behind colored quest guards. Because of how the map was laid out (ie where the colored quest guards were in relation to the associated keymaster's tent), they also had to be obtained in a specific order.

Defeating all enemies definitely made the process a little smoother/faster, though, that wasn't the win-con.
Marrend
While the four of us convene, it seems we have not entirely evaded the notice of Sandro. His armies draw near, but we will not falter here. We will stand firm, strike back, and hopefully, send him back to the grave where he rightly belongs!

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 10 Wood/Ore, <30 Marksmen>, 10 Crusaders
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved week 2, day 1)

Now it's our resident evil kick-asses, Yog, Crag Hack, Gem, and Gelu, all in one scenario! This one was pretty straight-forward, not a heck of a lot of tricks. It was, however, a pretty big map, and the AI happened to control a good many of the towns and controlled up to 6 heroes at it's height.
Marrend
We came from different backgrounds, and have our own reasons for being here. Yet, our goal is the same: to eliminate Sandro. The blow against his forces was a deadly one, and now, we face off against his main army.

No doubt, he's already called for reinforcements. Speed, then, is of the essence.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <10 Halberdiers>, 3000 Gold, 2 Sulfur/Crystal/Mercury/Gems
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved day 5)

This was the last scenario of this campaign. I spend 87 in-game days, granting me a score of 1675, and the title of Naga.

This is also the last campaign of Shadow of Death, and therefore, we can close off this LP, such as it is. Here's the High Scores that I've achieved in this play-though.

High scores
Unholy Alliance1675Naga
Armageddon's Blade1615Efreet
Dragon Slayer1610Scorpicore
Foolhardy Waywardness1605Scorpicore
Rise of the Necromancer1540Wyvern
Song of the Father1510Pit Lord
Dragon's Blood1495Thunderbird
Hack and Slash1475Minotaur King
New Beginning1410Gorgon
Playing With Fire1400Genie
Festival of Life1305Pit Fiend
Birth of a Barbarian1290Zealot
Elixir of Life1175Vampire
Liberation1140Silver Pegasus
Long Live the King1105Medusa
Seeds of Discontent1030Demon
Long Live the Queen965Evil Eye
Spoils of War900Fire Elemental
Dungeons and Devils365Wolf Rider

I can't exactly say I enjoy how I ended up handling this LP, even if I mostly enjoyed playing the game, itself. Like, I re-read Heroes 2, and I was a lot more descriptive of what the hell I was doing with my turns, rather than what I was doing here. Which is more of an overall arc of what the scenario was about.

Well, something to keep in mind for next time, should one come about. I'm certainly taking a rest from LPs for a while! Thanks to the silent watchers that's kept up with me in this endeavor, even if it was a little rough at times!

*Edit: Nope, I was wrong. Another campaign was unlocked, entitled "Spectre of Power", and the campaign map kinda suggests four scenarios. Hrm. A part of me says I should cover it for the sake of completeness, but another part says I should just let it go.
Marrend
I've decided to do this campaign, switching things up a bit. You can call me a bad player, and maybe a bad LPer, but, I'm gonna make this campaign go by fast. This translates to UGEing my active heroes to 15000 movement both after they are hired, and at the beginning of each day.

As for the scenario, itself, surprise! We're back to Sandro! Except he's apparently been reset? That doesn't have too much affect on my game-plan, as I was probably going to UGE at least his army and movement anyway, but, it's an odd thing to observe.

This scenario has me start with three towns in the upper-right quarter of the map. Haart Castle lies in the lower-left hand corner. There's no color guards, quest guards, or anything, so this is pretty smooth sailing.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <20 Zombies>, 3000 Gold, Boots of Speed
Win Condition: Capture Haart Castle (achieved day 3)
Marrend
Oh, man, this victory condition. You'll have to forgive me for just UGEing the amount in question just to see how the game would react.

Regardless of how hard or soft I would UGE, there was no way I'd let this scenario go any longer than one in-game day. If nothing else, I'd hack up a Marketplace, and trade non-Gold resources for Gold.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 15 Wood, <Vial of Lifeblood>
Win Condition: Obtain 100000 gold (achieved day 1)
Marrend
The scenario description indicates that I should want to hunt down the Eversmoking Ring of Sulfur. The actual win condition is to defeat Melodia, though, I didn't necessarily know it was Melodia until the victory message popped up.

Though, if I were looking at the file through UGE, and noticed that she might have been the AI's only active hero, well, maybe that wouldn't have been such a forgone conclusion.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <Equestrian's Gloves>, 10 Wraiths, 10 Wood/Ore
Win Condition: Defeat Melodia (achieved day 2)
Marrend
While I find the fact that there's only one starting bonus to choose from odd, this victory condition makes me a little happy.

This is the last scenario in this campaign. I spend all of 8 in-game days (again, sorry about rushing this), thus achieving a score of 1675, and the title of Naga.

I feel I've already said my good-byes, but, here's the high scores again, for reference purposes.

High scores
Unholy Alliance1675Naga
Spectre of Power1675Naga
Armageddon's Blade1615Efreet
Dragon Slayer1610Scorpicore
Foolhardy Waywardness1605Scorpicore
Rise of the Necromancer1540Wyvern
Song of the Father1510Pit Lord
Dragon's Blood1495Thunderbird
Hack and Slash1475Minotaur King
New Beginnig1410Gorgon
Playing With Fire1400Genie
Festival of Life1305Pit Fiend
Birth of a Barbarain1290Zealot
Elixir of Life1175Vampire
Liberation1140Silver Pegasus
Long Live the King1105Medusa
Seeds of Discontent1030Demon
Long Live the Queen965Evil Eye
Spoils of War900Fire Elemental
Dungeons and Devils365Wolf Rider

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <5 Sulfur/Mercury/Crystal/Gems>
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns and defeat their heroes (achieved day 2)
Pages: first prev 12345 last