RPG MAKER UNITE - NEW ENGINE

Pages: 1
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1650950/RPG_Maker_Unite/

I didn't expect this news in my feed today, considering the last RPG Maker engine dropped pretty recently. How is this different, well....

It's make using Unity. WTF, just happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ease of use of RPG Maker, no coding required still, with the power of Unity.

My question is, will games made with this engine be royalty free? Because of the Unity thing. That's my only concern right now. The rest is just shock and awe.

Edit: Can we now use RPG Maker assets in Unity???????????

Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
If it's made using Unity, I'd expect more shenanigans compared to the nightmare coding that the newer ones have. Swear to god I can feel someone just dumping a lot of events on it.

Also, I think that it's Gotcha Gotcha that'll handle the royalty. We pay them, they pay, whatever whatever. Or I'm sure they act more as a proxy so that people can make games in it commercially (or the whole 'monetary gain exceeded' thing works on us rather than them). Aside from that, anyone who would use the engine for free games are in a good spot.

At least we finally get an RPG Maker engine that doesn't need to be run on a browser for it to be cross-platform.
i did one of the free project tutorials for unity (ruby 2d adventure) and since then i've wished to have all nice ready-to-use things rpgmaker have on unity, like title screens, gameover screens,classes, items, the basic front battle and all that jazz.

unity made me a android phone port with just a click. thats just amazing for having a way to playtest with you at all times.
unity
You're magical to me.
I'm very very cautiously optimistic. After certain releases like Visual Novel Maker, I am much less likely to get excited until we get the new engine in our hands and can accurately see exactly what it can do.
It's not clear if it's made in the Unity engine, or an addon that you have to install Unity to even have access to. (Though the interface doesn't exactly look like Unity). Both sound like pretty bad ideas? There's already RPG Templates/Addons in Unity that don't require any coding and they've been hit and miss, and Unity is pretty darn bloated at this point that installing two separate programs that will likely need to be updated at the same time doesn't sound fun. If it's within Unity, like you click on a unity compiled game exe to use it then idk that might just be the biggest universe brain thing ever.

Regardless it's really straying far from RM2K's original value proposition of just, you download one tight thing and you have everything you need. The eventing functionality keeps getting worse, they keep switching scripting languages, they bolt on random shit nobody asked for and it's been the same since VX. It really says something about the budget constraints the RPG Maker brand is under as I guess it sells just enough to sell based on name alone but not enough to fill the void that is good + accessible game making tools.

I have actually thought about making an addon for Godot that essentially acts as an RPG Maker, it's extremely easy to make UI / Database stuff from within Godot even. Due to the open source nature of Godot however, I feel like the logistics of how to exactly package it would be far easier than with Unity. Who knows maybe making game engines with game engines is the future.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Don't worry about Gotcha Gotcha. The principal shareholder is Kadokawa, and Gotcha Gotcha absolutely exists just to publish RPG Makers and resources. Licensing should remain unchanged in all current makers, and unless they decide to change it for Unite, it shouldn't be a problem.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The release date on that Steam page is slated as "2022", and I feel like it should (or will be) be pushed back to 2023. Maybe 2024. Putting this into perspective, MZ has only has two years to flourish at this point, whereas there was something like a five-year gap between MV and MZ. Though, I think, during that time, there was also the official English release of 2K and 2K3, which was a pretty Big Thing to the community at large. I'll note that the gap between MV and Ace was only three-ish years, however, my main point is that it feels way too soon for yet another engine.

For reference, I'm basing my release dates on the Trials of RGP Maker MZ, MVlympics, and RPG Maker Ace Nugget Crash Course events.

*Edit: I'll hold all judgement about the engine until/unless I can see it for myself. I wasn't necessarily wowed excited about MZ's release, but, when I tinkered with the demo version during the aforementioned Trials of MZ, I liked it enough to buy a copy. Perhaps the same could happen here? I dunno.
This is more like Pixel Game Maker MV releasing between RMMV and RMMZ tho!
This is not a mainline RPG Maker. It's probably an add-on for Unity with a very different goal. Personally, I think it'll be awesome if eventually we get two rpg makers: a simple standalone product intended for beginners, and an extremely powerful interface that communicates with one of the main engines like Unity and Unreal. It's much better for the developers too: Rather than spending resources writing basic stuff like graphcs handling and interfacing, the RPG Maker team can use the amazing tools already built-in in these engines and create on top of that. Movement is already solved on Unity, for example. That means that on launch, Unite could have the biggest range of plugins any rpg maker has ever had: the entire Unity store.

Of course, that depends on the philosophy behind this engine, but this is sooo cool and sooo exciting.

I think MZ still has many healthy years to come.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
JosephSeraph
This is more like Pixel Game Maker MV releasing between RMMV and RMMZ tho!
This is not a mainline RPG Maker. It's probably an add-on for Unity with a very different goal. Personally, I think it'll be awesome if eventually we get two rpg makers: a simple standalone product intended for beginners, and an extremely powerful interface that communicates with one of the main engines like Unity and Unreal. It's much better for the developers too: Rather than spending resources writing basic stuff like graphcs handling and interfacing, the RPG Maker team can use the amazing tools already built-in in these engines and create on top of that. Movement is already solved on Unity, for example. That means that on launch, Unite could have the biggest range of plugins any rpg maker has ever had: the entire Unity store.

Of course, that depends on the philosophy behind this engine, but this is sooo cool and sooo exciting.

I think MZ still has many healthy years to come.

According to Liberty, that's exactly what it is. It would have been nice if that information was included on the Steam page because it really does look like...just...a whole new RPG Maker engine made with Unity.
watermark
Got me my shiny new MZ
As a veteran user of both RM and Unity, I am less excited about Unite as a standalone maker (because I can just use regular RM), but more excited that it MIGHT allow me to use RM's wonderful eventing system in other Unity games.

Unity is definitely not as user friendly as RM especially if you want to make certain types of games, like a JRPG. With Unite, I see the potential of making an action RPG like Secret of Mana using Unity for the combat parts, but Unite for the roleplaying parts.
That's really beautiful, isn't it? I'm looking forward to doing something similar, too!
My Survival Horror RPG Parasite Eve clone is ever closer! creating fun unique map exploration mechanics while still being able to access RPG maker mechanics too, that's great! Something like Voice of Cards is infinitely more doable with Unite than it is with MZ, at least hopefully, it would seem
Pages: 1