NEW RPG MAKER ANNOUNCED! ALREADY? WHY?

Pages: 1
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
So yeah if you guys didn't know a new version of RPG Maker was just announced last night. It's called "RPG Maker Unite" and will release in fall this year. This is very surprising since MZ only launched a bit more than a year ago and yet they're already making a new one. It will feature all the features of MZ along with all the futures of the unity engine. It will also include built-in parallax mapping and non tile based mapping. Here are some screenshots.

Thoughts? Why has a new RM released so soon after the last one? Why so soon? What is going on? With this, Dr.Eggman being confirmed as gay, Terraria 1.4.4 being announced, and the Nintendo eShop shutting down for good, not to mention the massive Nintendo direct only a week ago, this is surely a crazy day, let alone a week! W H Y
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
RPG Maker Unite is a side product; its not intended to replace MZ but rather be an alternative as far as I know.
and the Nintendo eShop shutting down for good,

Only for Wii U and 3DS games.
Switch games will still be sold.
It's a parallel version of RPG Maker, not "the next RPG Maker" after MZ. And they were pretty clear about that in the announcement but it didn't really stop people from calling it the next RPG Maker anyway.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
As I mentioned in the other thread, Trials of MZ, which was the event tie-in to the release of MZ, was about two years ago. So, yeah, the timing of this release does kinda feel a little rushed.

Wasn't entirely aware of it's status as a side-project, though. Consider me among the uninformed idiots in that regard!
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Both RPGMaker and Unity get undeserved hate, so naturally the next step is to fuse them together into the final boss of engines.
author=Sgt M
It's a parallel version of RPG Maker, not "the next RPG Maker" after MZ. And they were pretty clear about that in the announcement but it didn't really stop people from calling it the next RPG Maker anyway.

I mean you either make an RPG Maker or you... don't. I fail to see the in-between proposition of like I want an RPG Maker but with X when it looks to be just another rpgmaker that might as well be in the series.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Darken
I mean you either make an RPG Maker or you... don't. I fail to see the in-between proposition of like I want an RPG Maker but with X when it looks to be just another rpgmaker that might as well be in the series.

Right? I couldn't have cared less about the corporate double-speak when they announced it and I sure don't care about it here. It's a new RPG Maker engine. You still buy it if you want it and it's the engine that comes after MZ.

Katt's point is valid, and doing this corporate parroting doesn't do anything to devalue it.
Well, parroting what was said doesn't necessarily mean I agree with it. I apologize for offending everyone... :/
It's pretty much just a series of stuff for Unity to cater more to the RPG crowd, since Unity doesn't really have that easily in the engine. It's also going to be sold on Unity story, so it's really not the NEXT RPG Maker, people are just being dumb.

Think of it as something akin to Visual Novel Maker, which, IIRC, was connected to Degica/Kadokawa but isn't the main product line. Or Game Maker. You know, a side piece.

Besides it's not the first time Unity and RPG Maker have 'teamed up'. There was that one memorable IGMC where they let Unity games in, only for the best Unity game chosen to have been a basic content construct (stolen, too, IIRC). Fun!

But yeah, they've walked together before, this is just a bit more official, as a side project.

it is literally a pack for Unity. it's not playable by itself from what little I know of it, it's... you need unity to run it and it's so that people can easily make RPGs in that engine. I'm not hip to Unity terminology but I think they're called data packs or something like that? You can buy them from its store. It's just _that_ but built to be like RPG Maker. It is not a whole new engine.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
So it's less a Fusion Dragon fight and more of a Perfect Chaos fight where the final boss absorbed someone else's power.

This might actually be a good move. If people feel restricted by some of RPGMaker's core engine features, this might give them a pinch more freedom. It all depends on the implementation.

That said, the initial point about the frequency of releases is still a bit concerning. I can't imagine how someone who just picked up MZ and started a project must feel if Unite is something appealing to them.

*Cries in VX Ace*
author=liberty
it is literally a pack for Unity. it's not playable by itself from what little I know of it, it's... you need unity to run it and it's so that people can easily make RPGs in that engine. I'm not hip to Unity terminology but I think they're called data packs or something like that? You can buy them from its store. It's just _that_ but built to be like RPG Maker. It is not a whole new engine.

News to me because there's zero info on what it actually is on the steam page.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Darken
News to me because there's zero info on what it actually is on the steam page.

Yep. The Steam page doesn't mention any of that, and it gives the impression that it's an RPG Maker made in Unity, so no, people are not being stupid. We're going on the information we're given. Maybe Kadokawa's marketing should think about making that information more visible or accessible on the Steam page.
As far as I know, RMUnite will be available as a package on Unity's asset store, which confuses me because I'm not sure how that is going to be on Steam, if you will buy a license on Unity's asset store, which will prompt you to install Unity Hub + some version of Unity and then include the proper package in an Unity project. Like, that process doesn't make sense to me.

And I can't imagine RMU having two alternative versions, one working on the engine itself and another one as a standalone, that would just mean a maintenance hell. It could work better with Smile's approach, though that also means that Smile's binaries are rarely up to date with Unity.

RMU as an Unity package makes the most sense, but again figuring out their presense on Steam is the weirdest part that I can't figure out. Anyone has seen any examples of a similar case?

--

As for features, there's still a lot in the air, and sadly last "developer log" wasn't very informative. As in, it didn't tackle any of the bigger concerns like console support, if Unite will strive to keep all features from Unity or not, how will be the integration, the workflow, what things you'll be able to integrate, how closed is Unite's core, etc. And some others that aren't as technical but I can't think of right now because I need to take a bus in less than one hour. Buhbye!
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KQFbvOVmyU Another maker here in progress on Steam. Necros, necros, everywhere. Didn't decide on making a thread. Don't get jealous, Unite. I'm not part of any dev of this project, only my own here on rpgmaker.net.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
That video was uploaded by AngelStarStudios? Yeah, no thanks.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
author=Marrend
That video was uploaded by AngelStarStudios? Yeah, no thanks.
it's likely this benos person is part of angel star studios, but disregarding the particular uploader of the video, the engine it talks about is a legit thing by the makers of Smile Game Builder.

We were talking briefly about it yesterday on discord, but it seems like it's an engine that aims to attract octopath traveler/triangle strategy and similar game fans much the same way rpgmaker appealed to the DQ/FF crowd before. The same day news were released about it they also mentioned more news about Smile Game Builder are coming, which I'm hoping could be a beefy update or something, idk but I'm curious because Smile Game Builder seems to be walking the path of replacement.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
^
Kek.

TL;DR

I highly have no connection of working on that problem or lack of coding whatsoever, so no thanks. I understand the accusation you're bringing to the table, though. What proof you have that I'm AngelStarStudios?

And now I know. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
hmmmmmmmm that's something an angel star studios collborator would say...
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
I'll send my agents to your house and make you lose your memories. Like all RPG clichés.

Waiting for the joke to end.
Pages: 1