WHAT ARE GOOD GAME ENGINES FOR MAKING A CARD GAME?

Pages: 1
I'm wanting to make a card game but I only have RPG Maker XP.
Is there a particularly good engine for making a card game?
I would need it to be able to make some sort of AI to face the player. Maybe that could be done with RPG Maker XP but I'm not sure yet. Also the resolution isn't great for that since the cards I'm making are very large 1000pixels wide by 1400pixels tall (Though I can likely reduce the resolution on my cards.) The game idea is somewhat similar to Triple Triad from Final Fantasy 8.
So if you have any thoughts or suggestions I would appreciate it.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I can only really cite my experience with making Arcomage Ace on this topic.

Putting together the database of cards wasn't too bad, if I recall. Getting them to function they way they should definitely took some playtests to get right. Game actions, like drawing a card from the deck into a player's hand, then discarding it after use, required a bit of finagling. Like, I think I used the clone function to make a copy of the card that was being drawn before removing it the "deck" array, then putting the clone to the "hand" array? The action of discarding was a similar thing where I cloned a copy of a card in the "hand" array, put it into the "discard" array, then erased the object from the "hand" array.

That kind of thing a game like Triple Triad probably doesn't have to concern itself too much with. I imagine there would be the main collection database, and the player's collection database would likely just refer to that in some way, shape, or form, perhaps with an additional "count" variable to factor in the possibility of owning/playing multiple copies of a card.

That said, I have no idea how the hell to set up an AI for a card game. What I did in the aforementioned Arcomage Ace is that it chooses a card at random from it's hand, and plays that, if it can. If it can't pay the card's cost, it tries again until it fails a total of three times, or finds a card it can play, whichever comes first. After the third failure, it discards the card it most recently picked.

Aside from this, I'm aware of Triple Triad: Tournament of the Elements? Now that I think on it more, I recall trying to help pianotm with a card game meant for this game. The problem he had concerned doing a deck display using show picture, but, I don't recall the solution we came up with. ;_;
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
So, it is really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really fucking hard to make a proper card game in an RPG Maker engine.

Also, Marrend, I used events for the display. I still haven't gone back to it, mostly because I got burnt out on working on it.
A non-rpgmaker suggestion but Godot has a lot of tutorials and templates for card game stuff (best engine for doing UI imo) https://youtu.be/rlo4rwxanZo but it will require knowledge in GDScript in order to sort out. Though honestly Godot's built in interface does half the work for you and it'll likely be more convenient in a hearthstone-like fashion, I made a card system that was only 150 lines of code give or take.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
have you tried pieces of paper

edit: this isn't a joke, this is my 100% serious advice
author=LockeZ
have you tried pieces of paper

or if you lack paper, Tabletop Simulator.
Marrend
Using Tabletop Simulator as a testbed for card game concepts might not be a bad idea. For what it's worth, I tried using Cockatrice to test card concepts my current project.

In regards to that, as much as I might enjoy Mystic Vale, and how that deckbuilding mechanic works, I have zero desire to try to make that work through RPGM with my current knowledge levels. However, I kinda still wanted to make a deckbuilder, possibly a similar vein to Star Realms and/or Hero Realms. At some point, I went off a tangent to something akin to the Resident Evil deckbuilder. At least that game allows single player play, and, as I mentioned earlier, I have no idea how to set up an AI for a card game.
Thanks I downloaded all 3 those RPG Maker Games that Marrend mentioned. Though at the moment I've only had time to try the Triple Triad: Tournament of the Elements game. I see that it was made with RPG Maker MV which that one is about $100 to buy last I checked. I might buy it, depends on if I can get in contact with the person who made it, UPRC. I'll probably private message them at some point to ask some questions. I also bookmarked Godot and Cockatrice so I can look into those options more. I briefly looked at Tabletop Simulator, it appears like it's not meant for making commercial games and I do actually want to make a game I can sell. Even though my game idea is inspired by Triple Triad it won't be Final Fantasy related at all. As for what LockeZ said, I've been planning to make it as real physical cards for a long time now but lately I've thought that perhaps I should make it a videogame as well. But in terms of testing the gameplay, I made some paper cards a long time ago and played them with my young niece and nephew. My nephew enjoyed it but my niece lost interest after a while though she doesn't seem to care for games much in general I recall once letting her play Zelda MM on my 3DS but she wasn't interested. Anyway, the point is that I know my general mechanics work and are fun to atleast some people. That said, I've been adding more and more rules so I do need to do more testing.
Just about any game engine can make a card game. Though if it's supposed to be a single player game I'd consider trying to design it as such because it'll be easier on the AI (The Resident Evil Deckbuilding Game Marrend talked about is a fairly okay basic system of a semi-co-op card game)

Though in the end I know nothing about the game (I can't really remember how triple triad worked.) There are so many different ways cards can be used in a game. Sometimes they are units that fight, sometimes they are modifiers to attacks, sometimes they are just because cards are cheaper than plastic and cardboard counters.

I played a bit of Gloomhaven which also has a pretty okay AI system (simple enough to be manageable in board game form but still fairly complex for being managed by players rather than a computer). It is also a heavily card-driven game (cards determine enemy actions, cards determine player actions).

All you need to gamemaker a card game is a database to put all the cards in and some simple way to use them. Hell I'm pretty sure a visual novel maker could do a card game fairly easily. I haven't used them myself but from the visual novel genre I feel like it probably often deals with characters (cards) that you can easily manipulate through databases and probably has support for something like dragging and dropping items onto the play field.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I recommend trying some simple card games at itch.io, which don't require an AI. My favourite is Patient Rogue. In my opinion it's an easier task to make a game like this with your resources and you might even create something more original than a card battler. There are so many ways for cards to work in a card game.
I would also second a notion to make a physical prototype first. It will look great in devlogs too.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Unity or Unreal Engine are the only answers to this question. You will need to do coding to actually have a feasible card game like MTG or Yu-Gi-Oh! Maybe someone will make an engine for this one day.
author=kory_toombs
Unity or Unreal Engine are the only answers to this question. You will need to do coding to actually have a feasible card game like MTG or Yu-Gi-Oh! Maybe someone will make an engine for this one day.

This is just factually incorrect. Card games rely on such simple rules that you can essentially make them in any gamemaker.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=Shinan
author=kory_toombs
This is just factually incorrect. Card games rely on such simple rules that you can essentially make them in any gamemaker.

I look forward to being proven wrong when someone makes a RPG where your random encounters use a similar rule set as MTG using RPG Maker. I believe in you Shinan!

Well someone did make a card game even in RM2K, it'd be even easier with an RM with scripting. Whether or not it's recomended is the real question.
author=kory_toombs
I look forward to being proven wrong when someone makes a RPG where your random encounters use a similar rule set as MTG using RPG Maker. I believe in you Shinan!
I'm not saying it's easy or recommended to recreate MTG in rpgmaker but I am saying it's counterproductive and silly to say that only Unreal or Unity could deal with making any card games when one of the first projects in my high school introductory programming class was making a card game in visual basic or something.

(Some of my dead projects are card games made in AGS (and one I even made in Flash back when that was a thing that existed), the problem with those was not that they weren't easy to make (they were) the problem was that it was difficult to make the card games fun and interesting.)
I can't look at a Spirit Link without missing my Rabid Wombat deck.

To the question, how about Pygame? It has been around for awhile and is good for making generally any kind of game that isn't too high performance.

I sympathize with not wanting to use Rmxp due to its small resolution. That has always been my biggest gripe about the Rpg Makers, although they are a joy to use in many ways. If it's just a card game system you want to make then I would not use Rmxp either.

With Pygame you can have any resolution you like, and you can be cross-platform too, and it's free. (lack of cross-platform support is another gripe I had about the Rpg Makers)
You could look at boardgame.io (despite the name, board games include decks of cards, so it contains functions for manipulating such).

The concepts of turns and game state transfer.
It's a headless library, so you'd need something else to draw the cards on screen and interact with them.
I programmed MTG in Unity, and I suppose that's the way to go if you can program.
Marrend
I want to urge/repeat that you can absolutely to a card game in RPG Maker. However, I will admit that the complexity of the rule-set may lend itself to another program. If you want a blackjack mini-game, that's 108% possible. Or, hell, just do Blackjack as your game.
Pages: 1