BYE (UPDATE: MAYBE NOT)

Pages: 1
To make a long story short, my apartment building burnt down, my computer was destroyed, and now I'm technically homeless.

Not trying to worry anyone, I've got a place to sleep in the meanwhile, and I've got tenant's insurance so I'll be able to get back on my feet soon, but I never really backed anything up, so all my files are gone and it's unlikely that I'll be able to continue to work on any of my games (most of my stuff relied on having access to 3D files that will now need to be recreated from scratch.)

I've had a good run here, I've met some incredible people and hopefully one day, when my life's put back together I'll be able to return and actually finish something I started.

Take care, all,

Sidewinder
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Shit man, very sorry to hear about this. I hope we can see you on the road again someday.
Damn wtf, my condolences on the situation Your projects were really cool and you helped bring back the pre-rendered renaisance that is sorely needed for ps1 loving millennials like me. I'm sure you'll get back on your feet soon enough!

Feel like it's also worth reminding people to back up stuff on the cloud or better yet source control. Even losing a month's work is demoralizing and you never know what might happen tomorrow.
author=Mirak
Shit man, very sorry to hear about this. I hope we can see you on the road again someday.

author=Darken
Damn wtf, my condolences on the situation Your projects were really cool and you helped bring back the pre-rendered renaisance that is sorely needed for ps1 loving millennials like me. I'm sure you'll get back on your feet soon enough!

Thanks. I never really had much passion, so I always struggle to finish anything, but I'm glad I still had an impact.

And... yeah. It was a bad fire. They brought in fire trucks from out of town, but it was still burning for hours. Tried to sleep today, but and I kept having flashbacks. The alarms, the panicking, people screaming about lost pets... shit's fucked.
Sorry to hear, man. What a total crapshoot. Glad you're OK, though.

If and when you get the chance, start a GoFundMe page and link it here, so that people who have spare bucks can help chip in to replace your computer and other lost belongings.

Hang in there.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Oof. What a catastrophe. ;_;
Noooo my favourite person and project on RMN
author=Runic Cipher
Sorry to hear, man. What a total crapshoot. Glad you're OK, though.

If and when you get the chance, start a GoFundMe page and link it here, so that people who have spare bucks can help chip in to replace your computer and other lost belongings.

Hang in there.

Like I said, I've got Tenant's Insurance, and most of what I owned only really had sentimental value. I do appreciate the concern, but I'm not really in any financial danger, and I wouldn't feel right asking for money here.

Even the computer itself was something I built in 2015, and not really top of the line any more.

author=Marrend
Oof. What a catastrophe. ;_;
author=grindalf
Noooo my favourite person and project on RMN

Yeah... you always hear about this stuff on the news, then it happens to you.

Well, I'm not gone for good, and the fire didn't destroy my interest in spaceships, 3D art, or making unusual menu systems in 20 year old Japanese software.

But, realistically, it'll be awhile.
Fair enough. Just an idea of what could help you replace what's been lost, besides a computer.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Oh, man. I'm glad you're not calling it quits, but I wish there was something I could do except sit here and hope things turn around.
This is devastating news. Holy shit. my condolences. praying for a speedy return/recovery.
pianotm
LordBlueRouge
This is devastating news. Holy shit. my condolences. praying for a speedy return/recovery.

This really is devastating. Sidewinder's one of the best devs on here.

Maybe we could get together a Gofundme.
author=pianotm
This really is devastating. Sidewinder's one of the best devs on here.

Maybe we could get together a Gofundme.

I'd be down to contribute something.
author=pianotm
author=LordBlueRouge
I appreciate the thought, but again, I'll be fine financially, and getting money from the internet won't really speed up production.

I need to remake a lot of models from scratch, which is going to mean tracking down reference images on google, modelling, making new procedural textures, making new regular textures.

Stuff like this is pretty complex, even if I do use a lot of CC0 models, I'll need to make the majority of the greebles myself.

So, again, this isn't really a money issue, it's a time issue.
Okay, so, update:

The fire didn't hit my unit nearly as bad as I thought it would. The water damage was extensive and there was some flooding, but somehow most of my electronics survived - my computer (and most importantly hard drives) included.

To be honest, I never expected things to turn out as well as they did.

When Emergency Services loaded us onto city busses and took us to a nearby church for registration the fires were still burning, water was pouring off the balcony, and I was told that it would be like this for hours. I thought everything I owned was gone, and, honestly I'm very surprised to see that wasn't the case.

So, good news. I got off easy, and I'll be able to make weird pre-rendered 3D games for the internet... hopefully soon. I've been approved for a new apartment and I'll be moving in on the first. After everything's settled, and, assuming my luck holds I should be able to restart development soon, maybe in a few months or so.

Thanks again for the support the community has shown me. It's been difficult, but, I think I'm on the home stretch now.
That's awesome, Sidewinder. I can't imagine how devastated I would be if I lost all my work.
pianotm
This is so relieving to hear. I'm glad this is turning around for you!
This is not an easy thing to go through. Super happy for this turn out. Glad to have yea back.❤️❤️

Good news! Yeah, sometimes electronics can take quite a beating (other times they don't) but in this case it's quite a miracle. I feel like the big scare at least made us thankful for the games being made.
Pages: 1