[RMVX ACE] BATTLEGAMER: BUNKER SURVIVAL IS PRETTY COMPLICATED UNDER THE HOOD...

Pages: 1
Sheesh, while tidying the game up and getting it ready for the V1.3 Featherweight Update ( Which will allow me to release it on more sites than GameJolt, including this one, so keep an eye out for that ), I kinda just realized: This thing is one of the most complicated RPG Maker games I've ever seen, and it's shocking that I was the one who put it together!

You would think a simple text adventure/survival simulation game like this, which doesn't use more than, say, %10 of the Database menu, wouldn't be so chaotic behind the scenes, oh but you would be wrong, my friend. So very wrong...

At any given point in time, there's dozens of variables, switches, and a handful of common events clicking away in the background, making this game move and react to every little thing you do. Add on the fact the primary common events that handle the majority of the main gameplay are reaching no less than 8,000 LINES OF EVENT PARAMETERS NOW, with more to come in future updates as more random events are added, all of which manipulate those dozens of variables in many ways, and you can definitely see why I say that this game has some very complicated design going on behind the curtain, yet you aren't seeing any of it, because great care was taken to ensure the gameplay flows smoothly to the player despite everything going on in the background.

So I guess now would be a good time to ask: Have any of you ever put together something like that? It began simple and easy, but rapidly turned into this complicated web of data that any outside eyes would see as just garbled alphabet soup?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
In regards to ArcoMage Ace, it was almost the exact opposite. While it's probably still a bit of a mess if one actually looks at the code, I didn't expect that it would have only taken me two weeks, or so, of dev-time. Considering the complexities of the game, I figured it would have taken much, much, longer!

I no longer recall how long it took to put together Myriad Cypher, but, I'm proud of what I did for it, even if some of the underlying systems there are something of a mess. The only awkwardness players would experience is the map-boundaries being in effect.

My other accomplishment that would be a mess to look at would probably be many of the underlying systems in Baclyae Revolution. Darigaaz, I will never forget how headache-inducing it was to get Unites to work, and I will never do something like that again, even if I was paid large sums of money for it.
For some of my games, I use pretty much 50+ Scripts so yeah, I know what you're talking about. Most of my games are smooth to the player but quite chaotic at the backend. That's why I try to make fast Updates. Ask me one year after game release to add extra content and I probably wouldn't as I would get lost within my own codes and events.
author=Tw0Face
For some of my games, I use pretty much 50+ Scripts so yeah, I know what you're talking about. Most of my games are smooth to the player but quite chaotic at the backend. That's why I try to make fast Updates. Ask me one year after game release to add extra content and I probably wouldn't as I would get lost within my own codes and events. landstaronline

Thanks for information..
Ohh yes lol all the time. I felt that way when I made the whole CMS and gameplay for my game Shadow Seeker. And now I'm currently feeling the same way cause I'm working on a storage box system for the equipment and items lol. A lot of the code and eventing is starting to cause the editor to lag at certain points too haha. Such is the life!
Pages: 1