[RGSS3] TILEMAP GUTS

Pages: 1
Hi everyone,

Recently, I've been toying around with making the observable resolution of RPG Maker VX Ace smaller, so that the resolution matches that of an SNES game. I managed to decrease the window size, and set the tile grid (and all associated movements) to 16x16 pixels.

This seems to work great, but my problem is that this change does not extend to the tile graphics, which are still 32x32. The map's grid will be 16x16, but the graphical grid is twice as large. The character walks on a phantom map that is twice as small as what the player sees.

I realize that this 32x32 grid is kind-of hardcoded into RPG Maker VX Ace. Nevertheless, I would like to access the guts of the Tilemap class to try and halve the spacing of the graphics as the program draws each tile, as it initializes the map. Does anyone happen to have a reproduction of the Tilemap class? Or, can you point me in the right direction?

(I also realize I could just draw in 16x16 and scale it up to 32x32, but I'm actually trying to increase the performance by keeping things small. In my past experience with VX Ace, the engine tends to chug under large maps.)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm 90% sure that the Tilemap class in Ace is a build-in class. I've got Ace's help-file in front of me as I type, but, I'm not enitrely sure which of the properties/functions would determine how big a tile is. Maybe `map_data`?

map_data
Refers to map data (Table). Defines a 3-dimensional array measuring [ horizontal size * vertical size * 3 ].

Hey Marrend,

As I was scouring the help file for clues, I came under the impression that "map_data" represents the size of the map, but not the size of each tile.

I do think that the Tilemap class is built-in... So, normally, we can't edit it, because of how intimately that kind of stuff works with the editor side of RPG Maker. I think I saw the internal code of RPG Maker being played around with before, on deep-diving RPG Maker sites, like chaos-project and himeworks. I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like that before, on such sites.

It seems like it would be easy enough to do... after all, to decrease the size of the walking grid, all I did was do a search for every instance of "32", then look at the code. Usually, replacing that "32" with a "16" was a straight substitution.
Trying to use a smaller tile-size in a program that isn't made for different sizes but only for one will always cause a horrible big series of further problems that you mostly can't solve without full access to the program's and engine's source.

Ace is a totally not useful choice for what you want to do. RPGMZ on the other hand recently finally got an editor- and engine-update that now supports four different tile-sizes. This is a good base to build and improve on, just with a few little quirks left that can be fixed.

~炬燵あ
https://rgss-factory.net/2012/04/15/ace-mgc-tilemap-ace-reecriture-de-la-classe-tilemap/

I used to made 16x16 grid with this rewrite tilemap and zoom option, 16x16 tiles 2x scale to 32x32 and in game zoom to 50%

I used also map effetc script (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/map-effects.13941/) and zoom with this game screen to 200%, so I made 2k/3 deep retro graphics style (without half-pixels during scroll map) - I also set a resolution to 640x480.

Cons wit this methos is lack of borders on map (You see black frame, if you player is edge of map) and rest of game screen still is 640x480, no 320x240, for example menus, fonts and move pictures.

However - maybe you can use rewrite tilemap by MGC and set 16x16 grid...

And MZ have 16x16 in database but this is little uncorfotable, you must still use plugin to zoom during game (16x16 without zoom is very little) and map editor haven't 2x zoom (max is 1.5?) so drawing map is little hard.
Pages: 1