PERSONA 4

Yeah i've been playing this a bit and it's great so far. I don't have work tomorrow so i'll be playing it all day.
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
How far are you in DD?

I'm at

When Kanji gets taken into the T.V.

author=ChaosProductions link=topic=2639.msg49277#msg49277 date=1228485007
I must ask.

Chie, Rise, or Yukiko?

I say Chie.

From playing the game now, I would say Chie her character is cute and does get flesh-out pretty well. Yukiko second but only since I haven't gotten to Rise yet. But Yukiko seems to much like Mitsuru.
I think it's the English VA that makes Yukiko seems like Mitsuru. In Japanese version she has a softer voice. Though I think after you've raised her Social Link rank you'll see that she's really different from Mitsuru :)
author=NoblemanNick link=topic=2639.msg50458#msg50458 date=1229119714
But Yukiko seems to much like Mitsuru.

This is not a bad thing <>:(>
I will definitely be buying this when I get paid next week.

Persona 3 was great, but Persona 2 was better. From what I hear though, P4 is way better than P3, which is definitely a good thing. I was beginning to think the MegaTen games were losing it. :(
author=Yeaster link=topic=2639.msg50772#msg50772 date=1229353294
I will definitely be buying this when I get paid next week.

Persona 3 was great, but Persona 2 was better. From what I hear though, P4 is way better than P3, which is definitely a good thing. I was beginning to think the MegaTen games were losing it. :(

P4 is exactly the same as P3, with all sorts of small revisions to make the game not be such a pain in the ass as well as better writing.
I got to say any interest I may have had in this series dropped through the floor when I read 'high school.'
NoblemanNick
Well all the persona series are characters from high schools. Persona 4 is more of a story game rather than game play driven. It does sound like a Persona 3: Another Story. But like abley said they made some needed tweaks and changes. MegaTen goes with the "if it aint broken don't fix it rule" and it is definatley becoming a classic.

Where I am
10th Floor of Manaryuku Striptease Dungeon. Wondering when I'll fight Teddie's shadow. Hopefully my level 32 will be ready for him.
author=NoblemanNick link=topic=2639.msg50809#msg50809 date=1229376399
Well all the persona series are characters from high schools. Persona 4 is more of a story game rather than game play driven.

Both of these things are untrue. Most of the main cast of Persona 2:Eternal Punishment featured adult Persona users, and many Persona-users in the first game are adults. Just saying.

Also, Persona 4 is an extremely hardcore dungeon hack. You spend half or more than half of your time navigating mazes and pitting your numbers against the enemy's numbers. You can skip almost all of the life sim, but you can not skip the dungeon hack. How does this make the game story-driven and not gameplay-driven?

Also I saw your spoiler when I quoted your post argh you ruined it I am never playing the game again.
NoblemanNick
author=brandonabley link=topic=2639.msg50814#msg50814 date=1229377301
author=NoblemanNick link=topic=2639.msg50809#msg50809 date=1229376399
Well all the persona series are characters from high schools. Persona 4 is more of a story game rather than game play driven.

Both of these things are untrue. Most of the main cast of Persona 2:Eternal Punishment featured adult Persona users, and many Persona-users in the first game are adults. Just saying.

Also, Persona 4 is an extremely hardcore dungeon hack. You spend half or more than half of your time navigating mazes and pitting your numbers against the enemy's numbers. You can skip almost all of the life sim, but you can not skip the dungeon hack. How does this make the game story-driven and not gameplay-driven?

Also I saw your spoiler when I quoted your post argh you ruined it I am never playing the game again.

I've never played Persona 2, so you got me there but I have played Persona: Revelations and you do play a bunch of high schoolers. You start out in school.

Also to the spoiler I can see that you have sarcasm but if it wasn't I ma sorry. ;D
Also the message boards on GameFAQ ruined a lot for me. I will not even attempt to tell you as I want your experience to be better than mine. Also for the game I have updated my avatar.

I love Teddie more than I love Fuuka though. Her voice was unBEARable! :)

EDIT: To the part out being GamePlay driven, I meant in the sense that it doesn't have some amazing battle system not that didn't have alot of battles. The battle system is a basic tweaked turn-based system with nice features.
I just got this a short while ago.

Started on expert mode since normal mode didn't sound like much of a challenge to me. So the first time I fight a boss it almost always kills me due to required strategy and coordination. Pretty intense stuff!

I just got Kanji.
author=NoblemanNick link=topic=2639.msg50825#msg50825 date=1229379639
EDIT: To the part out being GamePlay driven, I meant in the sense that it doesn't have some amazing battle system not that didn't have alot of battles. The battle system is a basic tweaked turn-based system with nice features.

I still disagree enthusiastically. SMT games are always about gameplay. They are about catching monsters and hacking through dungeons. The Persona subseries adds a life simulator to the formula. But, in SMT games, Persona 4 included, there is very very little time where you are not controlling the game. During life simulation phases, you are still *playing the game* because you are always concerned what your answers to peoples' questions will be and how they will affect the game progression/your statistics.

About the battle system comment: You might compare Persona to Mario games. Super Mario Galaxy does not offer unique features, but it does offer well-crafted scenarios. Does that make it not gameplay-driven? Persona 4's featureset is stayed, but its battle scenarios are extremely well-designed. Enemy groups are set up so that you need to pay attention your battle commands. For example, you must use the "defend" command with your hero on a regular basis, or else he might get hit by Hama when his persona is weak against that ability and you will get a game over instantly.

I would say a game like Metal Gear Solid 4 is story-driven, because you spend hours of your time not interacting with the game. Depending on how methodically you play, this can be half of your gameplay time or more. Persona 4 is not story-driven because you are always interacting with the game.

I am not going to back down, bro. 8) 8)
NoblemanNick
author=brandonabley link=topic=2639.msg51649#msg51649 date=1229900145
author=NoblemanNick link=topic=2639.msg50825#msg50825 date=1229379639

I still disagree enthusiastically. SMT games are always about gameplay. They are about catching monsters and hacking through dungeons. The Persona subseries adds a life simulator to the formula. But, in SMT games, Persona 4 included, there is very very little time where you are not controlling the game. During life simulation phases, you are still *playing the game* because you are always concerned what your answers to peoples' questions will be and how they will affect the game progression/your statistics.

About the battle system comment: You might compare Persona to Mario games. Super Mario Galaxy does not offer unique features, but it does offer well-crafted scenarios. Does that make it not gameplay-driven? Persona 4's featureset is stayed, but its battle scenarios are extremely well-designed. Enemy groups are set up so that you need to pay attention your battle commands. For example, you must use the "defend" command with your hero on a regular basis, or else he might get hit by Hama when his persona is weak against that ability and you will get a game over instantly.

I would say a game like Metal Gear Solid 4 is story-driven, because you spend hours of your time not interacting with the game. Depending on how methodically you play, this can be half of your gameplay time or more. Persona 4 is not story-driven because you are always interacting with the game.

I am not going to back down, bro. 8) 8)

I hope you don't think we're having a bad argument, I see this as a discussion. But you have made excellent points and I know when I'm beaten touche abley, touche.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games

I got the shitty ending.

Five straight days of minimal sleep for this!?

...Time for new game plus.
@ChaosProductions
No don't! Reload the save file and try to get the true ending...it'll worth it believe me X(
Haha, addicts.

I am still in the Void Quest dungeon.
LouisCyphre
Hima: Don't worry, my save from right before the trip to buy a kotatsu is still there, now in slot 2. My NGP is priority, though.
Ahhh~
I got this for Christmas
and I was hoping it wasn't like P3--
The dialogue is much better,
I hate the first two female leads.
The concept of the television and the midnight channel are interesting to a degree.

I'm pissed at this one world
where most of the enemies don't have weaknesses
or repel / drain things.

Other than that,
I like it better than P3.
I've almost finished this for a second time. It's become as addictive as fallout 3 has.
LouisCyphre
author=Akane link=topic=2639.msg53968#msg53968 date=1231124833
I hate the first two female leads.
No. Chie is win.