PERSONA 4

author=NoblemanNick link=topic=2639.msg50809#msg50809 date=1229376399
Well all the persona series are characters from high schools. Persona 4 is more of a story game rather than game play driven. It does sound like a Persona 3: Another Story. But like abley said they made some needed tweaks and changes. MegaTen goes with the "if it aint broken don't fix it rule" and it is definatley becoming a classic.

Where I am
10th Floor of Manaryuku Striptease Dungeon. Wondering when I'll fight Teddie's shadow. Hopefully my level 32 will be ready for him.

I love the MegaTen series, but they are famous for this. SMT: Nocturne and the DDS games are exactly the same gameplay wise. They even re-use the same monsters, and SMT: Nocturne's sound effects are mostly taken from the Persona 2s, albeit with different tempos.

None of this bothers me, though. It just makes me lol.
Sorry to bump such a topic but it's been out in Europe just recently and I should get my copy tomorrow or the day after.
At £9.99 (RRP £19.99) it seemed way too cheap for a new game but I hope it's going to be worthy purchase.

(Do you need to know the in-and-outs of the first three games to grasp the storyline?)
Nope, not at all. Persona 3 is similar gameplay-wise but beside that there's no continuity in the stories, albeit similar themes.

And bitchtaki that's cheap.
author=ZPE link=topic=2639.msg67986#msg67986 date=1238023001
Sorry to bump such a topic but it's been out in Europe just recently and I should get my copy tomorrow or the day after.
At £9.99 (RRP £19.99) it seemed way too cheap for a new game but I hope it's going to be worthy purchase.

(Do you need to know the in-and-outs of the first three games to grasp the storyline?)

No. However:

There's a couple of references to previous characters in the series, and a character from Persona 3 makes an appearance later in the game. But most of these references are in-jokes, so yeah, Persona 4 pretty much stands alone.

Anyway, since this was probably the best JRPG to have been released last year I don't think you have much of a choice in the matter.
author=yamata no orochi link=topic=2639.msg68000#msg68000 date=1238025377
author=ZPE link=topic=2639.msg67986#msg67986 date=1238023001

There's a couple of references to previous characters in the series, and a character from Persona 3 makes an appearance later in the game. But most of these references are in-jokes, so yeah, Persona 4 pretty much stands alone.

Anyway, since this was probably the best JRPG to have been released last year I don't think you have much of a choice in the matter.

Come on man, put stuff like this in
tags! Don't spoil it for the rest of us :(. I'm using http://www.rpgmaker.net/forums/index.php?action=recent to check recent posts and things like this just pop out, so its not like I'm purposefully going through this thread for info on the game.

Unless you're talking about
Igor

cause I think he appears in every game.
This game is just amazingly good. I'm so glad my final PS2 game (if Persona 5 doesn't come out on the PS2) is also one of my best PS2 games and probably the cheapest after Shadow of Colossus.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I'm still on the first dungeon but MAN I love this game. It is so stressful to balance out your life and grinding!
author=Neok link=topic=2639.msg68026#msg68026 date=1238033157
Come on man, put stuff like this in
tags! Don't spoil it for the rest of us :(. I'm using http://www.rpgmaker.net/forums/index.php?action=recent to check recent posts and things like this just pop out, so its not like I'm purposefully going through this thread for info on the game.

Sorry! Has been hidden.

On a side note, one of the most interesting things about Persona 4 that I have seen in my short four-hour experience with it so far is that when you are raiding a dungeon it actually feels like you are raiding a dungeon. This is pretty refreshing in contrast to other JRPGs where you wander mindlessly around a dungeon mindlessly grinding for experience.

Also the battles are incredibly dynamic and fast-paced.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Craze link=topic=2639.msg68861#msg68861 date=1238542322
I'm still on the first dungeon but MAN I love this game. It is so stressful to balance out your life and grinding!

I'm past that now but I didn't need to grind. Just hit the easy boss with it's weakness. I know things get much much harder later on but I was somewhat surprised the first couple of bosses were easily overcome.

Anyways, how do you manage to grind early on in the game? My SP would drop to zero in no time and I'm not using items to recover them!
Use physical skills when reasonable. Effective use of them increases your survivability and how long you last in the dungeon.
LouisCyphre
Raksasha is really nice for Brain Shake.

Tentarafoo and Skull Cracker are pretty awesome too. :)
1) You can buy SP restoring items once per day at one of the soda machines. I don't remember what its called though

2) Level up the Hermit S-rank. I don't think you can for the first dungeon. Starting a Hermit quest doesn't take time (but reporting success does) and for some quests you can finish them in a day.

3) Judgement and Death Arcana Bonus can refill SP, but if you get the reverse they half and completely kill your SP respectively. Risky but if your SP is low it is usually worth it.

4) Invigorate refills SP per turn and it should be one of those skills you feed to your main personas if possible.

5) Use your allies effectively. Use them to knock enemies down while you cover for your odd-out weakness (or lighting since the electric Persona user has shit for SP)

6) There's a skill that refills everybody's SP by 5% when you win a fight. Guess when it becomes available? (Hint: You won't see it for forever)
LouisCyphre
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=2639.msg68882#msg68882 date=1238544470
6) There's a skill that refills everybody's SP by 5% when you win a fight. Guess when it becomes available? (Hint: You won't see it for forever)

And you can't even keep it in a New Game Plus. >:(

Also once you have a ma-dyne spell, Spell Master and Invigorate 1/2/3, you don't need SP restoration.

OT: My optimum Personae:

Kohryu Lv99

Ziodyne
Maziodyne
Elec Amp
Spell Master
Invigorate 3
Salvation
Samerecarm
Elec Break

Futsunushi Lv99

Primal Force
Matarukaja
Marakunda
Power Charge
Apt Pupil
Revolution
Megidolaon (goddammit...)
Tentarafoo (just cuz)

I'm interested in hearing other's Personae.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=2639.msg68882#msg68882 date=1238544470
1) You can buy SP restoring items once per day at one of the soda machines. I don't remember what its called though

Dr Salt NEO, Second Maid and The Natural. They all recover 5 SP so yeah they're quite useful. Thanks for the info.
My ultimate persona:

Kohryu too!
Maziodyne
Elec Amp
Mind Charge
Spell Master
Salvation
Repel Physical (one of my favorite skills since they made the three physicals into one. You're immune to half the stuff regular enemies through at you)
Enduring Soul (or whatever gives full HP after being defeated)
? (don't remember :( )

I remember spending too long trying to get Repel Physical and Enduring Soul on him instead of shit like 'HOW ABOUT ZIO?'. P4 is a great game but fuck its inheritence system. Let me pick my skills or at least don't be so stupid giving weak ass skills on high level persona or giving weaker versions of skills.

End game spoiler

Imagine my surprise when he was my only real offensive persona when I fought the True Last Boss

LouisCyphre
Ugh, DAMN, the inheritence system, yeah.

Imagine my frustration trying to give Lucifer Spell Master instead of MEGI-FUCKING-DOLAON. And why, exactly, does EVERY late-game persona have Megadolaon.

Although, Tentarafoo is crazy fun.
Ugh Almighty spells too. I found them to be a complete waste for 99% of everything in the game, exception being the later dice enemies who would repel everything.

I've heard a lot of good things with Tentarafoo (or the one that causes Confusion). I never used it because I have "player status effects never work" drilled into my skull and by the time I heard it was actually effeective every fight was Yosuke using Magarudyne and winning the fight on the first turn (the last dungeon was incredibly easy since he'd just kill everything that way)
LouisCyphre
Confusion has a chance of making the victim cast Waste Money, which is probably the greatest thing since Cavern of Doom, especially on the tank enemies.

EDIT: I know more people than just us two appreciate P4.

EDIT_2: Then again, us two are the only RMNers that know what Ultima is...
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
So, like, the first optional boss just owned me. It was going fine until my entire party wiped due to Rampage. Like, serious frownyfaces.

I really like this game. The social links make you feel like your choices have consequences, the battles are super-fast, and for a dungeon crawler it happens to be just as fun outside of the dungeon... where, so far, I've spent most of my time.