BEST PORT FOR SIMCITY 2000

Pages: 1
I'm curious if anyone had any opinions on this. I'll admit that I haven't played SimCity 2000 that much over the years. And at this point I imagine it would be a pain in the backside to get the game to run on a modern PC, but SimCity 2000 was ported to a ton of systems over the years. So I was wondering what people thought of the various ports for SNES, GBA, and so on.
SimCity 2000 is out on GOG, so I don't think it'll be that much trouble to get it to run on modern machines. It just might be running the DOS version in DOSBox or so though.

I think any version with a mouse would be essential, I can't imagine playing it with a controller/dpad. SNES version might have some cool tunes though.
From what I understand they tend to simplify the handheld versions a lot. A good example of this is them getting rid of pipe laying or all of the land being perfectly flat.
I bought SimCity 2000 on GOG ages ago when it was on a massive sale. It was one of my fave games back in the day. Even rented it on the SNES (iirc). I still have the SimCity 2000 box on my shelf (next to Baldur's Gate 2). I use it to store some old game manuals from the 90s.

from what I recall, the nintendo version played okay, but looked nicer on a PC. There weren't any cool Nintendo-specific changes, either. The original SimCity port for SNES was much more well done, and added a lot of fun elements and objectives. I guess I was hoping for more of that in the 2000 port for N64.

I will try to install the GoG version on my Windows 10 machine and report back.
The version with Urban Renewal Kit that let you edit all of the sprites.
author=Sgt M
The version with Urban Renewal Kit that let you edit all of the sprites.

That's the one I had. It was one of my first forays into game "modding"
author=kentona
I will try to install the GoG version on my Windows 10 machine and report back.

I installed the GOG SimCity 2000 on my Windows 10 laptop and it worked fine! I built a quick town, did a few budgets, and then decimated the commercial district because I failed to supply it with enough water.
In my opinion I would say that the PS1 version generally looks/sounds the best. PC version probably loads in quicker, but I generally enjoy the PS1 version's gameplay the most even if it's a little clunkier than the PC version.
Pages: 1