WHAT MAKES YOU DOWNLOAD A GAME?

Pages: first 12 next last
Happy
Devil's in the details
I dunno if this is correct forum or if this has been discussed before, but instead of focusing on what makes a game for you, what makes you usually download one?

This just popped to my mind, as I really rarely download the games myself.

How has the game to be presented to be appealing enough for you to download it? Can we get some sort of general views on what helps one to present his game to others in terms of advertising, aside personal preferences, even though I don't mind those either.
I already download most games, haha. It isn't hard to convince me to give something I try. It helps if the topic is presently nicely, showing screenshots etc, just so I know what to expect.

Sometimes I do pity downloads, when no one else is giving it any attention I give the game a go because I feel a little bad for the creator...I'm too lazy to give feedback of course.
If the story really interests me and it's not 200 mb i usually download the game. :P
DE
*click to edit*
Cool title and cool screenshots.
Cool title makes me want to take a peek at screenshots, cool screenshots make me want to download the game. Whether I delete what I've downloaded after 5 minutes or not is an entirely different matter :D
Oh, and a good score always helps. But if the abovementioned elements are good, I don't mind it really.

Cool titles: Shichimenchouken, Wilfred the Hero, Alter AILA, Vermincide, Rainbow Nightmare.

Uncool titles: Tales of Whatever, Whatever Saga (although Tyrant God Saga just sounds badass enough to let it slide :), Legend of Whatever, Whatever Legacy/ Legacy of Whatever, Chronicles of Whatever. Titles including words such as Eternal, Darkness, Demon, Dreams, Crystal(s)...

Cool screenshots: those showing at least a hint of originality (not necessarily priginal resources) and atmosphere. Shots with nicely written pieces of dialogue. A game in a modern/futuristic setting is a BIG plus.

Uncool screenshots: those containing lots of shitty lighting effects, mismatched chips/sprites, gigantic rooms with no furniture, title screens, menu shots, of joke/parody games.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
If the game creator's description/screenshots/reputation would all combine to suggest he/she knows what they're doing, has realistic goals and expectations, and didn't half-ass it.
Screenshots, mostly. If a game looks interesting, I'll download it. If it doesn't, I won't bother.
Although, I am a huge sucker for custom soundtracks/graphics. The kind made specifically for your game, not ripped from Final Fantasy XIXVI.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Screenshots with more than just setting and the character. I like seeing new things, minigames, and cutscenes with cool effects. Basically, if the your screenshots have nothing to distinguish it from other games (custom graphics aint enough), I probably won't download it.
1) Your game doesn't look like a piece of shit you cobbled together in 15 minutes.

2) Your writing skills are competent.

3) Your topic isn't a huge irredeemable mess.

4) Your goals are realistic within the context of your project.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
What Karsu says, but I don't give a crap about 4.

I also tend to prefer:

1. Games by people who have given helpful feedback on my games.
2. Games outside of the Japanese LITE-Fantasy genre.
author=Max McGee link=topic=2647.msg49501#msg49501 date=1228587614
What Karsu says, but I don't give a crap about 4.

You just say that because Everything turns Gray is ridiculously ambitious. =D
Like DE said, cool title, cool screens, modern/futuristic. Whether the advertising topic is well-done or craptastic. Whether the advertiser seems to know what he/she is doing or not. If I know/like the person making the game, then that helps a lot.

Oh, and reading good feedback from others is pretty important too. Probably more so than everything else listed.
I tend to only download on personal recommendation or request. "Hey, play my game" on IRC can possibly make me download and try out a game. It won't always happen but it's not completely unlikely.

The other reason is if I'm on one of those quests. Like Play Something, or contest entries. Or a bunch of reviews. Usually there's a ready-made list of games I'll download and play.

Very rarely (never happened on RMN yet) I'll download a game because it genuinely looks interesting.
author=DE link=topic=2647.msg49475#msg49475 date=1228579158
Uncool titles: Tales of Whatever, Whatever Saga (although Tyrant God Saga just sounds badass enough to let it slide :), Legend of Whatever, Whatever Legacy/ Legacy of Whatever, Chronicles of Whatever. Titles including words such as Eternal, Darkness, Demon, Dreams, Crystal(s)...

I hate you.

When seeing a new game topic pop up, I take a peek inside and glance at the screen shots. After that, I read a bit about the game, then if I like what I see I download and give it a shot.
The only thing that really gets me to download, If the screens look good and look like they work, I tend to download (If theres a Download, surprisingly theres not that many.)
author=Shinan link=topic=2647.msg49559#msg49559 date=1228601422
I tend to only download on personal recommendation or request. "Hey, play my game" on IRC can possibly make me download and try out a game. It won't always happen but it's not completely unlikely.

The other reason is if I'm on one of those quests. Like Play Something, or contest entries. Or a bunch of reviews. Usually there's a ready-made list of games I'll download and play.

Very rarely (never happened on RMN yet) I'll download a game because it genuinely looks interesting.

Did you ever get around to testing that RTP independent version of Phantom Legacy I sent you? I'd like to know if it actually works; so that I can upload it to RMN.
Yeah I hardly ever download anymore. :(

Nice screenshots, but not necessarily screenshots of MAPS. I like to see diversity in them, so showing gameplay and dialogue screens show that there is more to the game then it just being pretty. If they look like they know how to design an actual game, then I will check it out. Videos of the game in action are a plus too.

And of course some originality with the setting, story, and characters. If somebody recommends the game to me, I usually check it out instantly.

I will also instantly hate you if you false advertise. That means showing screens that are not in the actual game or making mockups.
Screenshots to be honest and if the writing doesn't look noobish with l33t.
I don't care if it's ambitious as long as it's fun.
Feedbacks, comments etc. would definity help me choose if I should download and play a game. Good screenshots are also a plus.
I just look for gameplay systems and shots of them in action as long as I don't have to copy/paste URLs to see them (although if there's a video I'd be willing to download it). For the post itself as long as its readable I'm good with it unless its filled with too much context of the game like story beyond a quick synopsis, character bios and world history.

If a game looks absolutely terrible I'll usually try it out too because I'm interested to see just how low it can go (and because I'm an idiot
)
Pages: first 12 next last