FILE SIZES

Pages: first 123 next last
As long as it doesn't take that long to download, I really don't care. Disk space is dirt cheap and downloading RPG Maker games isn't going to make me hit my bandwith limit.

Now if the game takes an hour to download....
100 mb is a little too much for me to download an indie game.
What I do is use Ogg Drop, which is a cool freeware program that converts .wavs to .ogg files, which are a lot smaller than .wavs.

You can even use programs like
Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer to convert .MP3s to .wavs and then later convert them to .ogg to significantly reduce file size
I probably won't go over a 100MB unless I'm really interested in it.

I mean honestly, 100MB for an RM game? What have you put in there?
Your game can be 500 MB and I would be fine with it assuming I have heard good things and it was finished -

As long as it is not the entire FF7 soundtrack on it, anyway.
I guess the file size wouldn't really bother me so long as i enjoy the game.
Certainly does, but more on a categorical level - if it's under 10mb for example, it automatically gains a huge advantage as far as downloading incentives go; but the difference between a 50mb and a 100mb download isn't that much. I think any game that's over 100mb needs to clean out a "demo" version (of a demo perhaps) that's much smaller to get the player sucked in first. (Although I still need to take that advice myself, heh.)
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Doesn't matter too much to me. If it takes a while to download, I could just leave it overnight and it's done by morning. Tralala

If I don't like it, then I just delete it. If it's big, I assume it's for mp3s and I hope at least a few of them are good songs that I can toss into a music folder to listen to. I've done that before. Maybe the game would look completely uninteresting but I just pick out some of the songs and then delete the rest.

Personally, I try to keep my games around 5-25 MB as midi version, and have an mp3 version for those who don't care about file size.
A huge file size can be a little off-putting, but if I'm interested in a game, it won't bother me at all.
If it isn't a complete game, and it takes more than 30 minutes to download, I'll pass. That said, it doesn't matter what the filesize is; what you should be worrying about is how much traffic goes to your hosting service...
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
I think setting limits for game size you'll download is really, really retarded. You should look at other factors. Does the person say they included an entire soundtrack of MP3s from commercial games? Let that be the deciding factor. Saying "anything over 100MB... I'll pass" is just fantastically dumb.
author=harmonic link=topic=2651.msg49662#msg49662 date=1228684860
I think setting limits for game size you'll download is really, really retarded. You should look at other factors. Does the person say they included an entire soundtrack of MP3s from commercial games? Let that be the deciding factor. Saying "anything over 100MB... I'll pass" is just fantastically dumb.

Hamonic has a really good point! Quality of the game should matter, not the file size ...
Aye. Personally file size means little to nothing for me. With the modern age of broadband I can easily download files in the background whilst futzing around. As long as it catches my attention it will get downroded.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
50 - 70MB is the most I will download for any Rpgmaker game no matter how good the game may look, if it's over that I wont get it.
I can download upto 90 mb, but if it's 100 or so, if the game is 100% original graphics and stuff I'll get it. I won't download it if it's rip.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Tau link=topic=2651.msg49697#msg49697 date=1228701598
50 - 70MB is the most I will download for any Rpgmaker game no matter how good the game may look, if it's over that I wont get it.

No matter how good?

I have 1,500,000 MB total hard drive space. Most computers can handle an extra few MB here or there that can be easily deleted. I do not understand this arbitrary cut off you guys are doing.

If the game looks like shit, fine. If it just plain rubs you the wrong way or doesn't interest you enough, fine! But this totally random/arbitrary file size requirement... >:(
author=Archeia_Nessiah link=topic=2651.msg49701#msg49701 date=1228702042
I can download upto 90 mb, but if it's 100 or so, if the game is 100% original graphics and stuff I'll get it. I won't download it if it's rip.

I like how this is just high enough to account for Sacred Earth.

Seriously folks, arbitrary limits are retarded. Whatever happened to QUALITY and COMPLETION?
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Some people have download/bandwith limits so they can't go freely downloading 3.1 GB RPG Maker games or whatever.

Otherwise, I don't think it matters much, but come on, it's an RPG Maker game. A lot of the times you're downloading a 500 MB RPG Maker game just to find out it's because of the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack. If you have no real download limit and have tons of space, go ahead and feel free, but not when you do have those limits.
Even if that is the case, it still strikes me as hypocritical. There's not much of a difference between 50 megs and 60, or 90 megs and 100.

And this is coming from a guy whose game will probably be around 20 megs at most.
Pages: first 123 next last