[TUTORIAL] INTRODUCTION PICTURES

Pages: 1
Most of us have probably seen the introduction pictures from Kingdom Hearts (and about a thousand other games) that introduce us to a new area when we first enter it. This tutorial is a simple way to implement this kind of introduction in your own game.

First of all, you're going to need to make the pictures for the area you want to introduce. Not being a brilliant artist myself I can't really show you how to do this, but if you are trying to be really artistic then try and make the picture resemble something to do with the area you are introducing. If like me, however, you're just trying to do something utilitarian then it can be as simple as a piece of writing stuck in something that looks like a message box...

Once you've done the above, coding the picture to appear in your game is rather simple. There are a few options for you to think about, though...

---

1) Picture appears only the first time you enter the area.

This is the style I am going to be using in Sore Losers (probably). When you walk into a new area, the picture will show only on the first time you go there. To implement this, simply make a Parallel Process on the map that has the following code:

Show Picture: ID1-Area Name Picture: Set Transparency To 100%
Move Picture: ID1-Area Name Picture: Set Transparency To 0% Over 1 Second
Wait 5 Seconds
Move Picture: ID1-Area Name Picture: Set Transparency To 100% Over 1 Second (Wait Until Done)
Erase Picture: ID1-Area Name Picture
Change Switch: var[xxxx:Area Name Shown]: On

Make a second page in this event which is below hero, push key that has absolutely nothing in it and you are done. The picture will fade in, stick around a while and then dissapear for only the first time the hero is there.

2) Picture appears everytime you enter the area.

You might think that to do this you just take the above code and remove the switch, but that would actually make the picture appear even when the player simply moves in and out of a house/inn/some other room. To make the picture only appear when enterting the area you have to stick the same sort of code shown in Type 1 into the teleport event. So, if you had a town you wanted to show a picture for you would only place the code in teleport events that enter the town from outside the town.

For example;

Teleport: Town Map (0,0)
Wait 5 Seconds
Move Picture: ID1-Area Name Picture: Set Transparency To 100% Over 1 Second (Wait Until Done)

This kind of code will show the picture everytime the hero teleports onto that particular map.

3) Only show the picture once after an event introducing the player to the town.

This one is the kind you see in Kingdom Hearts, were the picture is only shown once and is only shown after something has already happened there. To do this, just insert a similar code to the one above into your "something that is going to happen".

For instance;

LOAD OF OTHER STUFF THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!
Wait 5 Seconds
LOAD OF OTHER STUFF THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!

---

Maybe not the most complicated thing to do, but since I just got finished doing it for myself I thought I'd post it up.
Pages: 1