HOMAGE TO FINAL FANTASY (I) - POSSIBLE CHAIN/STITCH-TOGETHER GAME

Pages: first 12 next last
Ocean and I spoke yesterday about potentially making an homage to Final Fantasy, we're talking pick four classes, lots of dungeon diving, not much talking, spell slots, etc. We did think it might make for a fun chain game or something like Befuddle Quest (Kentona is going to finish any day now I just know it!) where the people who want to join design a dungeon, a town, and a class and it's prestige class/es.

We are just looking to gauge interest at the moment, nothing is confirmed! Probably be at least a month (two?) until we got going.

Let us know if you'd be interested and your thoughts.
unity
You're magical to me.
I still go back and replay FF1 every couple years to this day, so this idea seems awesome! Any ideas about graphics? Original or rips, etc?

I really want to join this, tho I'm super busy with Izrand. It might be nice to take a break and work on something else tho, so can I put down a solid "maybe?" XD
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I think it's a fantastic idea, and I'd love to take part in a chain game.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Are people welcome that never played any Final Fantasy game in their life? Because I am such a person and I am interested.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Yeah! It'd be fun to see the results!
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I'm interested! It'll be a nice change of pace from my current project. Do we know what engine will be used for this game?
I might be interested, but it would need to be in the late spring or afterwards for me to participate, since I have other projects that are on higher priority.
I don't know I can contribute anything. But I am always interested in anything Paradise™ and or Blue™ related.
I don't know if they are busy, but I will definitely pass the message on to URPC, riggy2k3 and maybe dosmean of gamingw.

I like it when Ocean makes stuff.
I also like it when Ocean includes other people,
could be spiritual successor to chains of retribution???

:OO
Big thonks. I'm interested, should have time to do gammak in a couple months heh.
author=unity
Any ideas about graphics? Original or rips, etc?

Ocean mentioned rips to me, but I do have the following resource pack which might do the job:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1967141/RPG_Maker_MZ__8bit_Retro_Graphic_Materials_AllinOne_Pack/

author=unity
I really want to join this, tho I'm super busy with Izrand. It might be nice to take a break and work on something else tho, so can I put down a solid "maybe?" XD

Ok you're down as a solid maybe as opposed to the British meaning of the word maybe (a polite no).

author=pianotm
I think it's a fantastic idea, and I'd love to take part in a chain game.

Thanks, hopefully getting the base setup won't take too long.

author=OzzyTheOne
Are people welcome that never played any Final Fantasy game in their life? Because I am such a person and I am interested.

I don't see why not, Final Fantasy 1's influences are very dungeons and dragons based so you can always tap into that.

author=Red_Nova
I'm interested! It'll be a nice change of pace from my current project. Do we know what engine will be used for this game?

Ocean and I didn't discuss but I was assuming RPG Maker MZ.

author=lavendersiren
I might be interested, but it would need to be in the late spring or afterwards for me to participate, since I have other projects that are on higher priority.

It looks like there is interest enough that I'm going to begin development, once the base is ready we can sort out chain order etc and see where we stand with peoples' schedules.

Plugin wise I'll whip up the following:
Magic Shop
Spell Slots
Class Selection
Spell Casting weapons/armour
Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Battle System (i.e. display last action and the auto stuff)
Canoe

Am I missing anything we need?

And let me leave you all with a WIP plugin for a canoe.

Disembarking from a ship straight into a river, I hope that doesn't have any unintended consequences!
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Hmm, sadly I do not own MZ, the engines I own are the following:
2k3
XP
VX Ace
MV
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I also don't own MZ.
I own
2k3
XP
VX Ace
MV
You could maybe use MV, I'm pretty sure MV imports into MZ.

I will investigate at some point before we do official sign ups.
Canoe plugin all done, includes implementing docks for the ship as well.
Next up is the magic/spell slots.
I would love to believe I'm halfway done with the slots but I'm sure I will have missed stuff.

Unless there is an objection I think 6 levels of magic would probably more than enough. Should be easy enough to bump it up to 8 if we need to.

I need to make a decision about how to handle magic items, in the NES FF you had individual inventories for equipment but could use any magic item you wanted from it. In the GBA version it was just equipped items because otherwise you'd have access to every magic item in the inventory. So options:

1) Only use magic items you have equipped.
2) 1 but you have an extra slot where you can equip one magic item which you can also use in battles.
3) Individual inventories.

Anyone got any preferences?
unity
You're magical to me.
I vote 1 :D
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
In general, I'm in favor of giving players more options to customize their party composition and giving class designers more options to work with, so I vote 2. 3 is an cool idea, but not worth implementing just for magic alone.

Disclaimer: I only played the GBA version of FF1 once a loooooong time ago, so my memory if it is super hazy. Feel free to dismiss anything I say if it deviates from the goal of this game.

Unless there is an objection I think 6 levels of magic would probably more than enough. Should be easy enough to bump it up to 8 if we need to.

FF1 had 8 levels of magic, right? If we're going for 6 levels, then are you thinking of dropping all the level 8 spells altogether? Or would you replace some lesser used spells with level 8 ones? Also, I know people can design their own classes, but I assume we're only using black/white magic spells that are listed here?
author=Red_Nova
In general, I'm in favor of giving players more options to customize their party composition and giving class designers more options to work with, so I vote 2. 3 is an cool idea, but not worth implementing just for magic alone.

Disclaimer: I only played the GBA version of FF1 once a loooooong time ago, so my memory if it is super hazy. Feel free to dismiss anything I say if it deviates from the goal of this game.

The goal is an homage, we can deviate. It is worth bearing in mind that the rpgs of the era that I'm familar with didn't generally offer much in customisation, FF1 on the other hand offered 6 classes and included promotion, more spells that you can learn, etc. One thing to note about individual inventories, it would make it a lot more feasible to implement ammo - I was thinking of choosing Ranger and am going back and forth on whether or not to include ammo.

author=Red_Nova

FF1 had 8 levels of magic, right? If we're going for 6 levels, then are you thinking of dropping all the level 8 spells altogether? Or would you replace some lesser used spells with level 8 ones? Also, I know people can design their own classes, but I assume we're only using black/white magic spells that are listed here?

No, I was thinking we would take inspiration but not just copy, though I imagine significant similiarity.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
I don't have any specific preference, I'll go with the general consensus unless there's a tie.
I'd love to participate when you guys get to passing the game around! I also think I prefer 2 for customization options, but am open to 3 if you don't mind scripting out individual inventories.

edit: Very swanky canoe action by the way!!
Pages: first 12 next last