HOMAGE TO FINAL FANTASY (I) - POSSIBLE CHAIN/STITCH-TOGETHER GAME

Pages: first prev 12 last
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I think 2 would be good. A happy medium between restriction and experimentation.

Also, this is a cool idea. Count me banana.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Assuming each character's inventory is 6 items like the original NES game, 2 and 3 are ultimately pretty similar. The big differences would be that with an equipment inventory of six items per character:

- Fighters don't get a magic item slot unless they forego one of their normal equipment slots, since they are the only class that can wear shields, and thus can actually equip six items at once
- Monks get one more magic item slot than other classes, because they don't use weapons
- It would be possible for a character to get an extra magic item slot by not wearing a piece of normal equipment

These are kind of interesting, especially with regards to class balance, but I'm not a fan of class balance solutions that require the player to get 75% of the way through the game before they kick in. These differences don't start to matter until you have more activatable items than you can equip at once, which will probably be pretty late in the game if this is anything like FF1.

I'm potentially interested in helping (and have a lot of experience with Final Fantasy fangames) but I'm not remotely interested in the "chain game" aspect. If you want help with the systems and overall design, or with assembling everything into a finished product after people give you the parts, let me know, but I have literally zero interest in any collaborative project that isn't actually collaborative and is using a dumb gimmick to keep people on the team from working together.
I am interested in participating! Sounds fun!
author=LockeZ
Assuming each character's inventory is 6 items like the original NES game, 2 and 3 are ultimately pretty similar.

This is a really good point considering how much more work option 3 would be.

I'm surprised and excited by how much interest there is in this project. What would people prefer; a chain game or something where you all make your own parts and Ocean and I stitch the game together? The latter would obviously involve some group planning around big bosses and significant loot/progression items.

Magic systems go well, spell slots work, classes have designated spells you can learn (individual basis, not blanket by type/level):

While it wasn't the case in FF1, FF2 had magic in chests and this was sort of a half way step to the magic shop (so magic as loot is possible without having to make a item just to teach the spell), my best guess is that I'm just under half way through what I consider the base game prep.
What would you say the difference between a chain game and stitching together parts would be? The second option is what I imagined when I heard chain game.

Nice progress btw, the systems look really good so far!! I like the idea of having magic in chests as a halfway between nothing and shop. Locke's ideas on equipment mechanics sound super fun as well!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Gaining specific magic spells from dungeons is certainly a fun way to improve on FF1 design, especially if your game is somewhat nonlinear (even just having basic side-quests would work). In the original FF1, aside from leveling up, your fighter and thief got a lot of their power upgrades from treasure chests, but your mages got nearly all of their power upgrades simply from grinding money and buying new stuff in towns.

Modern game design is much more goal-oriented, even in open world games, and so rewarding the player with a new spell for completing a dungeon or sidequest feels good. And modern game design also de-emphasizes grinding a lot, replacing it with optional tasks the player can do a single time to gain more power or new abilities (aka side quests). The player can still get XP and gold in those sidequests for upgrades, but sticking some treasure in them feels more satisfying, and FF1 is a simple enough game that it's very nice to have even one extra type of treasure you can hand out.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Fomar0153
I'm surprised and excited by how much interest there is in this project. What would people prefer; a chain game or something where you all make your own parts and Ocean and I stitch the game together? The latter would obviously involve some group planning around big bosses and significant loot/progression items.

This is actually my first chain/stich game, so I'm not sure how you plan on handling either scenario. I'm in favor of whichever option has the greater chance of surviving unforeseen dropouts/external circumstances.
So a chain game:
I would prepare the base and then make the intro, I would then pass everything over to person 2, who would then add their contribution, then they would hand it over to person 3, etc, so nobody would particularly work together though we could ask for help if needed. This would continue until the last person (Ocean?) who would then end the game.

A stitch together:
I would prepare the base and then I would pass the files to everyone taking part. Everyone would make at least a town, a dungeon, and a class. They would then pass their files back to me and Ocean, and we would then assemble the game from them. If we did this then we would probably map out the game a bit e.g. who does the promotion quest, who has the airship unlock etc.

Still needs a lot of work to neaten it up but I did a good chunk of the party builder today. I'm thinking of displaying a summary sheet of the class on the right.

One thing that did come up during this, I did the two recolours you see for the Warrior, I attempted to do some recolours for other skin tones but I could not get them to look right. I was trying to stick to the NES palette but I think we can get away with adding a small number of colours to the palette in the name of inclusiveness.

Would someone who understands art/colours mind adding some darker skin tones for me please?

unity
You're magical to me.
I LOVE the idea of different color pallete options for classes!

Here are some additional human skin tone:

As for the question of chain versus stitch together?

While I like the idea of chain games a lot, it seems like this one situation almost always happens: the game will be handed over to one person, and that person, due to real life situations or otherwise, will end up stalling for weeks, months, or more past the deadline. The project will stop in its tracks.

For that reason alone I guess I will vote Stitch. That said, the same situation could happen, but in this case all other locations could still be being worked on. That's my take :D
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I vote for Stich game for the same reasons as unity.
I also like the idea of stitch. More collaboration before the hard part and then less chance for hold-ups during the hard part sounds good!

Party builder looks good fomi!
Stitch sounds fun
I never heard the term Chain game before but if it just means a collaborative project, I might be interested.
I do enjoy FFI but I only have RPG Maker XP.
Maybe I can just make some graphics? I don't know but I look foward to what you all make.
MZ can make phone games correct? Maybe I should buy a new maker, I'll think about it.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
I shall vote stitch as well, the arguments put in favour of it have a lot of merit to them.
Pages: first prev 12 last