LYING TO PLAYERS

Pages: first 12 next last
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D

In summary, Fire Emblem games tend to fudge the displayed hit percentage so that higher numbers are more likely to hit and low numbers are more likely to miss.

On one hand, I understand the sentiment: In a game with permadeath, seeing one of your units die from an attack that only had a 30% chance of hitting feels unfair, despite the obvious fact that a 30% chance of hitting means being hit is possible. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of displaying incorrect information to a player. I feel like you should either display the fudged number, display the hit rate as a range instead of a single number, or rework the hit calculation so that fudging the numbers isn't necessary.

What do you think? Is there merit to altering values under the hood? Or are you a fan of 100% transparency all the time?
I remember modern XCOM being exact about its numbers but it mirrors the experience of raw DnD of rolling something bad and just going "wow that didn't feel good" Due to SRPG brain washing, a 90% chance to hit sounds like a guarantee when it actually it's not. XCOM is also predetermined (to prevent save scumming I guess) but then it makes the 60% chance a little more viable because hey it might be the "correct" choice because that 90% chance could be a miss.

I think the problem is more RNG and missing, that you get nothing for your efforts and gives immediate mini buyers remorse. RNG brings out the worst in player psychology and I think especially if you're trying to streamline for a certain audience (like say anime nintendo fans) It's probably imperative to fudge things abit. But something like Darkest Dungeon tends to have a reputation for being absolutely harrowing and people giving out anecdotes of the stakes tumbling down leads to it becoming acceptable to presenting a harsher reality. (I don't know if DD fudges numbers but point is they can get away with not fudging)

Zooming out a bit, things like coyote time/jump buffering in platforming games or giving ammo to the player in RE4 when they need it or even console controller auto aim is in effect lying to the player. Those are implemented because it's getting at: OK did the player actually execute what they mostly wanted to do and how much leeway should we afford them? The weird little edge cases and the devilish details I think most players don't want to deal with unless it's a simulation focused game (where it is about the details). So conventional design is definitely trending towards unexpected things being good, and negative things being mostly expected.
I prefer transparency because too much lying and you get stuff like being angry about missing a 90% chance to hit because you've been lied to so much that you expect it to be a 100% chance to hit.

Of course I also understand the desire to lie because anything above 66% always feels like it ought to hit.

It also depends on the game. I think the reason it sometimes felt frustrating in XCOM was because you didn't have enough firepower to not. I've seen the post-XCOM XCOM-a-likes (note: not X-COM) often have very transparent determinism instead and that any randomness comes from a hit doing 2-4 damage instead of doing 0 OR 3 damage.

Whereas in the older games (like X-COM maybe. I never actually played original X-COM only Jagged Alliance and later Xenonauts) your squad size was often such that it was tactically sound to bring a backup to every fight.

When it specifically comes to hit chances I've also found it's a lot easier to accept failure when it is shown in some way. Like I play Blood Bowl 2 on PC and the game has two options of showing the chance of success for any given action. It can give you percentages or it can give you the actual die roll. For some reason the die roll is a lot easier to accept because a 3+ roll is somehow easier to parse than that 66% chance of success.
And if the game then also visually rolls these digital dice it somehow becomes easier to accept that I rolled a one than if an action just immediately failed. Even if there is literally no difference in the backend between these two things.

(The die rolling is also why 66% is the magic cutoff number. Because to me personally a 66% chance to hit seems like a sure bet. But a 3+ roll on a die seems a lot less so even though the two are exactly the same)
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Darken
I remember modern XCOM being exact about its numbers but it mirrors the experience of raw DnD of rolling something bad and just going "wow that didn't feel good" Due to SRPG brain washing, a 90% chance to hit sounds like a guarantee when it actually it's not. XCOM is also predetermined (to prevent save scumming I guess) but then it makes the 60% chance a little more viable because hey it might be the "correct" choice because that 90% chance could be a miss.

I feel like seeded numbers are a standard of RNG-based games nowadays to prevent save scumming (and if they aren't, they should be). I know that's the case in Fire Emblem thanks to the Time Crystal mechanic. Fun fact: You can use that static RNG to your advantage. For example, if you see a unit in FE inflict a critical hit, you can reverse that turn and ensure that the next attack that unit makes will crit against any other unit you decide to attack instead.

I think the problem is more RNG and missing, that you get nothing for your efforts and gives immediate mini buyers remorse. RNG brings out the worst in player psychology and I think especially if you're trying to streamline for a certain audience (like say anime nintendo fans) It's probably imperative to fudge things abit. But something like Darkest Dungeon tends to have a reputation for being absolutely harrowing and people giving out anecdotes of the stakes tumbling down leads to it becoming acceptable to presenting a harsher reality. (I don't know if DD fudges numbers but point is they can get away with not fudging)

So then the question I have to ask is: if the devs fudge numbers to be more fair, why not just display the fudged numbers to the audience? Instead of feeling cheated by missing your 90% chance hit, it feels more fair to me to see the hit rate be at 84$ or whatever the value would be.

Admittedly, I, a long time fan of the series, wouldn't have known FE games did this had I not stumbled across the video in the OP by complete accident, but now that I know, it's hard to unsee this.

Zooming out a bit, things like coyote time/jump buffering in platforming games or giving ammo to the player in RE4 when they need it or even console controller auto aim is in effect lying to the player. Those are implemented because it's getting at: OK did the player actually execute what they mostly wanted to do and how much leeway should we afford them? The weird little edge cases and the devilish details I think most players don't want to deal with unless it's a simulation focused game (where it is about the details). So conventional design is definitely trending towards unexpected things being good, and negative things being mostly expected.

I think the difference in your examples is that the games don't explicitly tell you about those mechanics. I don't think lying by omission is the same as displaying incorrect information. Like you said, those features are mostly meant to help players along so long as they go through the game.

author=Shinan
It also depends on the game. I think the reason it sometimes felt frustrating in XCOM was because you didn't have enough firepower to not. I've seen the post-XCOM XCOM-a-likes (note: not X-COM) often have very transparent determinism instead and that any randomness comes from a hit doing 2-4 damage instead of doing 0 OR 3 damage.

Whereas in the older games (like X-COM maybe. I never actually played original X-COM only Jagged Alliance and later Xenonauts) your squad size was often such that it was tactically sound to bring a backup to every fight.

Modern XCOM is an interesting example because, unlike the other games mentioned so far, losing a mission is not the loss of the whole game. While there is permadeath, you are free to abort missions if you don't think you can complete it. There's no need to fudge numbers in the player's favor, and actually makes a good case to fudge numbers to the player's detriment. I haven't done any real tests on it, but I do remember running into many situations where even attacking enemies with no cover bonus and a high % to hit would still end up missing.

hen it specifically comes to hit chances I've also found it's a lot easier to accept failure when it is shown in some way. Like I play Blood Bowl 2 on PC and the game has two options of showing the chance of success for any given action. It can give you percentages or it can give you the actual die roll. For some reason the die roll is a lot easier to accept because a 3+ roll is somehow easier to parse than that 66% chance of success.
And if the game then also visually rolls these digital dice it somehow becomes easier to accept that I rolled a one than if an action just immediately failed. Even if there is literally no difference in the backend between these two things.

I wonder if that's why Disco Elysium shows chances through dice rolls? In DE, it's impossible to have a 100% or 0% chance at a roll because rolling two sixes or two ones will always result in success or failure regardless of your stats.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Maybe it was a meme, but, I recall seeing, somewhere, a screencap of an XCOM game where a soldier's pulse rifle was aiming at an alilen's face. Like, the barrel of the rifle was literally right on the face. The accuracy of that shot? 95%.

While you could parse that into rolling a nat 1 on a D20, what makes me think it was a meme is how ridiculous that kind of setup would be to begin with. Though, I'm not sure how often that situation could actually come up in a game like that, so, maybe it's a moot point.

More to the thread, I kinda want to talk about Heroes of Might and Magic. The game uses one graphic that can represent anywhere between 1 and 32767 of a single unit. Or, to put it another way, the data is stored as two bytes unsigned. As such, accuracy checks are thrown out the window. However, because of how the damage is calculated, it might be possible for a unit that numbers in the hundreds to only deal 1 damage, if the difference between that unit's attack power, and the defending unit's defense power, is large enough.
Red
So then the question I have to ask is: if the devs fudge numbers to be more fair, why not just display the fudged numbers to the audience? Instead of feeling cheated by missing your 90% chance hit, it feels more fair to me to see the hit rate be at 84$ or whatever the value would be.

Well missing that perceived 84 isn't that bad if you hit it 10 times in a row before. It's giving you the confidence that going for lower percentages was a good descision. My idea of 84% is probably higher than it actually is, someone playing DnD their whole life probably has a better feeling for odds. But I think in general the player fantasy will overwrite basic math. Sid Meider puts it best here when he did a lot of tests with players. He found that for example someone would sort of accept a 2 to 1 loss, but a 20 to 10 loss? Unacceptable! That has more to do with the perception of it being x number of troops vs x number of troops but I think most peoples brains don't always think linearly as the numbers get higher in their favor and whatever is "fair" to us isn't the same fairness for opponents. Which is why anything past 50% in FE's hit chance is probably inflated.

It's likely the same principle for fighting game where a characters seems really overpowered when you're not playing them. An AI missing an 80% seems about right, but ME missing 80% 3 times in a row? Fucked up. Though I think it's less to boost the player's ego and more to keep the player in that flow state of "hey I did something that said there was a risk and yet I prevailed" just enough so that they keep playing.

edit: i forgot to answer the question directly, but I think it's akin to just: If the fudged numbers are shown then the player is just gonna see a bunch of 90s and 80s and probably never 70s and 60s and it feels less rewarding to 100% know it's all but garuanteed. FE games are kind of easy anyway? So maybe it doesn't really help lol, but I imagine through a series of QA tests they probably found it's better to make the player FEEL like there's a risk moreso than say there's no risk and the resulting enjoyment is all that matters. And also it's probably a half glass full thing, either raise the stats or change the perception of the stats past a certain point to avoid imbalancing stats is another reason.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
fudging is good and people should do it more, but maybe not show the % LOL
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
No wonder the hit rates in fire emblem feel like fuckin' trash. I think that shit is basically unforgivable and might even singlehandedly be what makes the games feel so unplayable.

Xcom games feel fine. I never understood the room temperature IQ people who complain that their 98% hitrate attack missed. Of course it missed. That's why it didn't say 100%, dumbass. You morons literally can't figure out that 98 is less than 100?

I've never played a highly tactical game where I thought having a miss chance on the abilities improved the game though. There are plenty of RPGs with a strong focus on tactics where everything always hits, like every Nippon Ichi game, most MMORPGs, etc. If you as the designer think that random hit rates are so problematic that you have to lie to the players about them, why do you even include them in your game?
I looked into it and it's funny that it turns out that XCOM does also in fact fudge the numbers. Unless you're playing on Legendary it secretly skews the numbers in your favor. I looked into Darkest Dungeon too, it has a lot of hidden stuff like adding an accuracy bonus if you miss two times in a row. So I mean if you're working on a game where hit chance drives a lot of descision making then fudging is probably inevitable for some kind of base line player enjoyment.

More foolish than balking at the numbers is assuming that humans don't fall prey to confirmation bias or gambler's fallacy. Idk if "the math checks out you're just stupid" is convincing especially in a game design discussion.
Red_Nova
I think RNG-based accuracy is itself a great thing. If everything always guaranteed to work out exactly the way you wanted, then that's a good way to make battles static and flat. A core component of strategy is testing whether or not a player is capable of adapting when a situation suddenly go south, which can happen when an attack that was expected to hit actually missed.

Having a perfectly sound strategy with no RNG to muck things up is all well and good, but it can also lead to a lot of safe plays, which can be pretty boring. Taking risks and seeing them pay off is very rewarding. Hitting a 99% chance roll is always a better feeling than hitting a 100% chance roll, even if only a little. So encourage players to take more risks could very well be a good reason to manipulate RNG in the players favor.
Depends on the player. I usually find RNG-heavy mechanics to be boring design-wise and not rewarding at all. Conventional hit and dodge rates are like gambling: odds always have precedence over skill and knowledge. Winning doesn't make me feel particularly better because I had no merit in it.

Strategic and optimal choices based on knowledge of what will always succeed, now that feels rewarding to me. Rather than gambling, this is akin to skill games and quizzes. The player has to study, observe, pay attention and learn something, improving themselves, and then use that knowledge to make the best decisions in a given situation. Going through that cognitive process is more fun and dynamic to me than picking odds and hoping for the best.
And you can still include some form of risk-taking in resource management for instance or by having randomness govern other things than the hit/dodge rate, such as the enemies' next actions, the composition of that next enemy party you decided to challenge, etc.

What I believe a dev should ask themselves is "How can I implement RNG-based mechanics in a fun, creative or interesting way?"

Fudging the odds, unless for narrative purposes, seems like a complex solution to a simple problem: Why not simply show the true numbers and adjust the rates?
Instead of lying to me after I miss twice in a row, give me a hit rate buff. That way I can at least consider that bonus when I weigh my options on the next turn.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=darken
More foolish than balking at the numbers is assuming that humans don't fall prey to confirmation bias or gambler's fallacy.

Of course the absolute dumbest of people do fall prey to that, but that's no reason for a game designer to change their game.
If this is going to be about if RNG in itself is good or bad then I probably have lots of opinions on that also.

But I'm also the kind of person who would waffle and "both sides" it. Nearly all games have some randomness. Even chess has the one random factor of who plays white and who plays black (if you really want to stretch it)

Personally I think risk management is one of the most interesting aspects of tactical games. However this can play out in different ways. Fairly recently I played the game Warhammer 40k: Mechanicum. That game has very little hit chance randomness. There are some special abilities where the description is it has a 50% hit chance but I don't know how those work because risk-averse as I am I never picked any of those :)

But that game's RNG comes in the form of damage amounts. A gun will do 3-5 damage and I see that an enemy has 4 health left. Do I play it safe and move a second character in shooting range so that even if my first guy only does 3 damage I can still finish them off or do I risk it and hope that I will do 4-5 damage and spend the other guy on something that is less of a direct threat but something I will still need to deal with at some point?

RNG based games also often rely on having enough numbers to mitigate the acute randomness. If a thing is decided on one die roll, that's probably not great. But if a thing is decided on carefully deploying five die rolls where one or two can fail without the plan falling apart?

This is why Blood Bowl is a favourite game of mine because most of that game relies on a six sided die. That means that one in six of best case scenario actions will likely fail. There are mitigating factors (rerolls, meaning that as long as you have a reroll left the best case scenario failure is one in 36) and that game is all about choosing to do the least risky things first and the riskier things later (because any failure will also result in your turn ending prematurely).

Of course (to put it back on topic) in all of this if the player is being lied to they can't make an informed decision about what to do. And this is different from not being shown certain information. (A big part of these kinds of games is some kind of scouting, finding out an enemy's HP makes a huge difference in decision making. If you know something dies in one hit or two hits greatly impacts how much resources you have to spend to get a near guaranteed kill or a mostly guaranteed kill)

So I might have waffled about lying earlier, but no it's bad.

author=Marrend
Maybe it was a meme, but, I recall seeing, somewhere, a screencap of an XCOM game where a soldier's pulse rifle was aiming at an alilen's face. Like, the barrel of the rifle was literally right on the face. The accuracy of that shot? 95%.

While you could parse that into rolling a nat 1 on a D20, what makes me think it was a meme is how ridiculous that kind of setup would be to begin with. Though, I'm not sure how often that situation could actually come up in a game like that, so, maybe it's a moot point.

The thing about this is the abstraction that happens when a game is turn-based. The game shows people taking turns kicking each other and it seems impossible to miss a point-blank shot. But it's just a simplification of what is actually happening. The idea is that everyone is always moving, some games even have a different thing when people are "engaged in melee" (see for example DnD and attacks of opportunity) the idea is not that people are standing on their respective squares occasionally striking at each other instead they are fully engaged, dodging and moving around constantly making what seems in a static picture to be a sure thing possibly be a very different thing indeed (I think a variant of the XCOM meme is someone staring down the barrel of a shotgun and it says like 46% hit chance)
The usual all-or-nothing result of the RNG creates most of the player frustration.
A 5 damage attack at 80% hit chance deals, on average, the same as a 3-5 damage attack.

The 3-5 damage attack is 3 guaranteed damage + 0-2 random damage. So 60% of guaranteed damage + 40% of random damage.
The 5 damage attack at 80% hit chance is 0 guaranteed damage + 0-5 random damage. So 0% of guaranteed damage + 100% of random damage.

In the first case, bad luck can reduce attack efficiency by 40%, resulting in some setback to the player plan.
In the second case, bad luck can reduce attack efficiency by 100%, resulting in a sever failure of the player plan.

Moreover, unlucky players can fail that 80% hit tree times in a row leading to 0 total damage while the other deals 9 damage in the most unlucky scenario. Consecutive failures raise player frustration extremely quickly so the "adding an accuracy bonus if you miss two times in a row" helps.

I would recommand the following when using RNG:
* when possible, avoid the all-or-nothing and make the attack deal a minimum amount
* give bonus to limit the number of consecutive failures
* show the true % chance
author=LockeZ
author=darken
More foolish than balking at the numbers is assuming that humans don't fall prey to confirmation bias or gambler's fallacy.
Of course the absolute dumbest of people do fall prey to that, but that's no reason for a game designer to change their game.

It's not the dumbest of people it's everyone. You probably commit to confirmation bias every day. If you don't think you're biased then idk I have bad news. You keep talking about intelligence, but smart people make bad choices all the time. Games are made for humans, so it's probably good to take player psychology and bias into account. Like not putting a gacha/lizard brain reward system in your game is a descision motivated by "I don't want people to act irrationally around this"
author=Darken
author=LockeZ
author=darken
It's not the dumbest of people it's everyone. You probably commit to confirmation bias every day. If you don't think you're biased then idk I have bad news. You keep talking about intelligence, but smart people make bad choices all the time. Games are made for humans, so it's probably good to take player psychology and bias into account. Like not putting a gacha/lizard brain reward system in your game is a descision motivated by "I don't want people to act irrationally around this"

Adding on to this, humans aren't 100% logical actors even in the best of times so to penalize them for being human is a bit unfair imo. Understanding players and what things they like can lend itself to making a more engaging game.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
author=Red_Nova
I think RNG-based accuracy is itself a great thing.

I have a huge issue with this in modern turn-based games. It was different back in the 80's and 90's when you were limited in how you could design a battle system due to things like memory and the small amount of RAM old consoles had (even the PS2 in the 00's had some games like Ar Tonelico II that would cause it to seize up due to exceeding system memory). A modern example is Octopath Traveler - weapon accuracy is influenced by your accuracy stat and the enemy's evasion, plus status effects like Blind and evasion/accuracy buffs. Magic, however, is almost always 100% accuracy even when a character is blinded. Once your characters have enough MP to cast more than three spells in a battle and most spells hit all enemies, you quickly realize that magic is vastly superior to weapons and weapon-based skills. It turns into every character either running a magic class as their secondary, or running two magic classes like Scholar and Cleric to wipe out hordes of enemies in just a couple turns.

I don't mind accuracy being affected by status conditions and buffs/debuffs, as long as the base rate is 100%, since players can understand that and work around it when it happens, compared to a random chance to miss your 99% accurate attack when you need it most. Developers can find other ways to make their battles more interesting and dynamic than "haha you randomly missed the killing blow and now you're dead so you have to start the whole fight over". It's why Pokemon players have recommended Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam over Fire Blast/Thunder/Blizzard for years; the 100% accuracy moves that do a little less damage than the 70%/85% accuracy moves are more consistent and reliable. The more powerful moves are too risky or rely on gimmicks that were added in later games to reduce risk. It's not even about risk vs. reward at that point, since the risk so far outweighs the potential reward that there isn't even really any consideration outside of weather-based teams which don't really see any use in-game barring challenge runs or the post-game competitive scene.
author RedNova
I think RNG-based accuracy is itself a great thing. If everything always guaranteed to work out exactly the way you wanted, then that's a good way to make battles static and flat.

I don't think lack of RNG makes a game more flat. Into the Breach (I've probably cited this game numerous times) only really has enemy AI rng at best (and some roguelike elements). But it tells you exactly what the enemies are going to do next turn, what tiles they'll affect the exact damage and you should know what's about to happen based on any action you do. What makes the game surprising is not always being able to see the moves ahead or the emergent ways certain things will happen, and the optimizing of moves.

There are moments in that game where I not only feel smart, but surprised at what I came up with when improvising on the spot. With hit% accuracy you don't get to do like... any of that. That said if a building is about to be destroyed (which is essentially your health for the entire play session) there is a chance that one unit won't get decimated. Which is a very positive RNG in the player's favor and does promote risky moves.

Having said that. I do think RNG hit accuracy does make a game more of an RPG or a simulation. Because otherwise I think your characters just become glorified chess pieces that don't have their own agency to fuck up. It's just that the all or nothing aspect does not make for good play, like it's more interesting to imagine a game where missing leads to something else. Like accidentally hitting a pipe and a water environment hazard gushes out instead of hitting the enemy would at least promote some improvisation. When you miss in most games it's just like uhhh now what? Battle takes longer if it's not a game over? I guess?
Red_Nova
lol I guess this thread is about hit rate as a concept now.

There's not much to really argue here because, well, you're not wrong! Of course it sucks when your characters miss an attack! My point in the post everyone is quoting wasn't "RNG should replace skill" nor was it "every game should have RNG in it!" It's that the fear of failure can often be enough to have players alter their strategies or

Ever play a fighting game? In every fighting game, there is a basic Rock-Paper-Scissors game plan of Attack, Block, and Throw. When facing an opponent, it's a gamble on what your opponent is going to do next, but a choice (i.e, risk) still has to be made if you want to win. Sometimes you're right, and sometimes you're wrong. And that's fine because, if you're good enough at the game, you'll still win more consistently because you understand that you can't just play it safe all the time.

RNG translates that exact concept into a single player game except it's way more transparent (except for cases like in the OP) because you have stats that tell you exactly what the odds are before you take them. In Fire Emblem you can choose your lumbering, inaccurate knight to attack the enemy and potentially kill it if the attack lands, or you can instead reposition the knight to block that enemy from reaching your vulnerable healer until next turn. That is a choice players can make thanks to the uncertain hit rate. It gets you to ask if you're willing to take risks, and are you prepared for the consequences of failure.

Also, I've noticed everyone has cited examples of how RNG screws you over, but no one has cited samples of how RNG helps you with that same level of fervor. I feel like, unless you've somehow looked at every situation where an enemy missed an attack against you and thought "this is a bad mechanic and should be removed," that tells me that the hit rate by itself is not really the problem.
I just released my SRPG (I describe the math here), and watching the playtest I saw players frustrated with RNG many many times. I have studied choices with probabilistic outcomes in Psychology, and one common finding in the area is that the human mind sucks at estimating what probabilistic numbers mean. Like many people said here, we tend to overestimate high probabilities and underestimate low probabilities.

Other than that, I noticed the frustration of missing a 90% attacks or being hit by a 10% attack was much higher than the joy of hitting a 10% attack or having a 90% enemy attack missed. Though I'm not sure that's an overall tendency or just a trait of specific testers.

I like this topic because I have considered many times the idea of lying to players in that way, but I still don't think it makes sense. If a game tells me I have a 75% chance of doing something, I want to believe he means 75%. Having a game fudge numbers feels patronizing and silly. If you don't want to frustrate players, just keep a low miss margin, don't making hitting/missing an important part of the mechanics.
Pages: first 12 next last