[DEMO] AFTERMATH 0.5

Pages: first 1234 next last
IMPORTANT: Please make sure you have something that plays .AVI files on your computer, so you can see the videos I have put in the game. If you don't have anything that plays .AVI files you will get an error in the following areas.

#1 INTRODUCTION - Nuclear bomb explosion video.

#2 BECOMING THE SHAMAN - Waterfall video.

#3 BECOMING THE SEER - Man begging for his life video.

READ THIS FIRST

Aftermath is a game that takes the elements of Final Fantasy, Fallout and Shadowrun and rolls them up into an exciting rpg filled with science, spirits and even magical things. The world never knew of these powers until the bombs fell. This game is much different than anything you have ever played before and I hope you enjoy it!

STORY

In the year of 2032, a series of attacks were launched into the soils of the United States of America.The communistic countries had gathered their forces to an extreme super power. The invasion from this attack was overwhelming, and the only thing left that the U.S.A. could do was launch a nuclear attack against the homelands of their enemies.

World War III had begun.

Mushroom clouds formed in the skies one by one and the world was covered in sheets of nuclear fire.People that heard the sirens prepared their families and rushed to their local bomb shelters or hid in their basements to try and avoid being killed by the explosions. Anybody that was not buried deep under the earth in pure steel vaults or shelters had a very bad chance of survival.

The people that were fortunate enough to hide in underground bomb shelters had a much better chance to survive.Your family was one of the survivors that was lucky enough to have ties with the higher ranks of government which saved your lives when the bombs were deployed. You were born two days after the war in a shelter. The light of day was something you were never fortunate enough to see, but at least you were safe.

Twelve years after the war you and your family were running out of supplies and food which ultimately made you haveto leave the shelter and head into the wasteland. While traveling in the ruins of America your mother and father were
ambushed and attacked in their sleep by evil men and women with guns and blades. These punkers as they called themselves captured your mom and dad and took them away from you. Being a child at the age of twelve you felt helpless and hid behind a rock while you saw them taken from you. Not knowing what to do and scared out your mind
you ran as fast as you could but sadly fell prey to a pit trap which ended up with you hitting your head on a rock very hard.

Opening your eyes hurts as the light pierces your skull like a knife. Voices are all around and you can feel the warm touch of somebodies fingers on your scalp...

Where are you?

The game takes place in the ruins of Arizona.

TRAILER 0.5 - EXPLICIT CONTENT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifH-4D4iQ_o

UPDATED 12/23/08

SMALL FIXES FROM EARLIER RELEASE -

Frankie will now take your bottles and mantis legs again after you beat the bandit boss.

Removed the funky trap door from bandit building.

DOWNLOAD HERE

http://www.rpgmaker.net/games/867/

http://www.filefactory.com/file/affg306/n/Aftermath_0_5_zip/size]

0.5 PATCH NOTES

AFTERMATH - CONTENT UPDATE 0.5 PATCH NOTES

WHEN IS THE END OF THE CONTENT UPDATE?

This update will not have anything indicating if you have completed it. It's got a lot
of stuff to do and find, so it honestly is up to the player when the feel they have
completed it and found everything to prepare for the next content update.

0.5 MAIN CHALLENGE: Create a Brain Enhancer. If you can create this object,
you have truly beat version 0.5 in bragging rights.

Aftermath in it's current state now contains at least 6+ hours of gameplay.

BUG FIXES

- Fixed a bug where the screen would remain black if you chose "Do Nothing" after
having sex with Wendy. Players should no longer see "Do nothing" as an option.

-Enemies were simply not using their heals when they needed them the most. The
A.I. of enemies has been fixed which should make them more challenging.

- Fixed several bugs with the ammunition system.

- Fixed a bug that let you walk on the black ruins on the world map.

- Fixed a bug where when the main character left a cave area the game would be
considered night time during the day.

- Using GO! GO! DRINK!, Wind Walking, or Night Stalker will now properly show their animation
while in caves or when the flashlight is on.

- The main characters face will no longer be displayed when selecting dreams.

GAME CHANGES

- Caster armor will now grant half SP consumption. This has greatly increased the value of
these items. However, it makes you feel like a pure caster when you wear it since most
skills have a pretty high cost to use.

- The music in the medical center has been changed to something more peaceful and not
so repetitive.

- Added a reminder to save your game after Wendy is done talking to you. This will help people
who want to explore and die on accident so they don't have to start over with the long intro.

- The dream your character has at the very start will now grant a much larger bonus to your
beginning character build.

Guns and War = +25 Combat, +50 Skill Points
Walls and Steel = +100 Health Points, +25 Protection
Books and Space = +25 Mind, +50 Skill Points
Fast Animal = +10 Speed, +35 Combat

- GO! GO! DRINKS! will now explain what they do when you select one and they
now last for 1 minute instead of 30 seconds.

- GO! GO! DRINKS!, Wind Walking and Night Stalker now decrease your encounter rate
when they are activated.

- Added a save reminder to the warning messages you get.

- The price of beer has been nerfed down to 10 coins. It used to be a very
fast way to make money. This change was to add some challenge into the
game for the early levels. There is also a new zone to do in the early levels,
so some balance needed to be done.

- Frankie will only ask for 1 mantis leg per turn in now. It's kind of rare to get
mantis encounter with all the bandits so this had to change.

- The price on the Wind Walking and Night Stalker spells have been reduced.

- Signs and other objects have recieved a darkening effect which makes
them look much better on the map and removes any brightness that stands
out.

- The main intro story has recieved a revamp and new voice over.

- You will no longer see "MATURE" at the beginning. You will now see
a different picture that is common on labels of albums. I did this because
the game was never rated by a real company and it was just dumb.
The new picture gets the point across that Aftermath is a game designed
for mature players.

- Removed all .22 Beretta pistol drops from junk piles in the town of Toyota.
This change was very much needed because some weapons were simply
being passed up and the flow of money early in the game was a little to fast.

These guns still have a chance to drop from the Rattler Caves.

- Did some sprite work on the main hero. He now looks a little smoother and
no longer has the shiney part in front of him while turned. This was something
I simply could not take anymore.

- A lot of animations have been reworked and the main character looks much

better now. Players who tried 0.4 or below will notice the change right away.

- Many sound effects have been reworked and some ambience has been added
to zones that did not have it before.

- Adrenaline shots now have a smaller animation that is much better suited
for the main character.

- Changed the battle animation of Rushing Punch. It now looks like you're
moving toward the enemy before punching them.

- Melee weapons have been buffed up and now offer the chance to
cause a lot more damage. This will give players the option to be
whatever they want in the wasteland.

- Melee weapon damage for two handers has been increased by a large
amount.

- Single handed melee weapons have gained a +35% Critical Hit Rate.

- Two Handed melee weapons have gained a +70% Critical Hit Rate.

- The custom made slingshot now has a +55% Critical Hit Rate,
and it's damage has been increased by a large amount.
This is a special bonus because it's crafted and was not able to
compete with the double SMG's. The price on the items to create
the slingshot have not been changed.

- Added shredded road and cement into Toyota. It now looks like the
roads have seen much better days. This also gives players a slighty
better sense of direction than before.

- Added destroyed walls of houses and buildings in most zones. You
won't see much in the town of Toyota since it technically was not a
town with houses. You will see a ton of damage from being close to
ground-zero in the new town of Winslow however.

- Craters from nuclear blasts on the world map are loaded with deadly
radiation, so watch where you walk.

TIP: Make sure to stock up on Anti-Radiation and Anti-Poison kits.

- The First Aid skill will now heal for a greater amount and the details
have been changed to "Decent" instead of "Weak". Don't forget to
pick this skill up right away from Wendy.

- Molotov Cocktails will now scale with combat power. This change was
needed so lower tiers of these fire bombs would be useful.

- Molotov Cocktails can now cause a burning effect. This is a fast working
damage over time that can be quite lethal.

- Added a simple flash on the hero after Wind Walking, Night Stalker or
GO! GO! DRINKS! end.

NEW CONTENT

- New players or people who start over can now experience Aftermath at an
entire different pace. A new big quest has been added to Frankie. This
quest was designed to give players who love to adventure a better path
into the game then collecting bottles and mantis legs.

- Explore the new Bandit Building north of Toyota.

- The game continues in the ruins of Winslow and beyond.

- There has been some changes to the 2nd level of the Toyota Bar.
I wonder what that could be?

- Explore very dangerous areas that will require some thinking to get passed.

- Added lock picking into the game. Players will need to figure out where
to learn this skill.

- Added the ladies' man skill into the game. Players will need to figure out
where to learn this skill and ultimately what they can get from it besides
the obvious.

- Added the backstab combat skill into the game. I will let players figure out
where you learn this.

- Added new spells for the Shaman and Seer into the game.

- New weapons and armor have been added with new animations.

- New recipes and the Mr. Craft Volume 2 is now somewhere in the game.

To get the most out of the new update will be to start a new character. However, old saved
games should work fine.

SCREEN SHOTS

FEATURES

Final Fantasy style combat system in a post-nuclear world full of radiated monsters and mystical creatures!

Huge selection of guns, knives and anything else you can get your hands on for a weapon in a ruined world.

Treat people with respect or blow their heads off it's your choice in this twisted world.

Carry around an old notepad that keeps track of your skills and quests.

Move around the ruins of the wasteland collecting junk that can be sold or constructed into items with the craft station.

Ammo system gives the player a challenge through his hardships of the wasteland.

LEARNING SYSTEM

To learn anything in real life takes practice and patience. This is exactly how you learn skills in Aftermath.

#1 There will be a lot of NPC's that can teach the main character different things but you have to find them.

#2 The NPC will more than likely send you on a difficult quest before you can obtain your skill.

#3 Once you have your skill you can do things on the maps that you could not before.

#4 Skills will increase in level every time you use them on something that's worth a skill up.

#5 To accomplish a successful skill check on difficult things you need to have a much higher skill etc.

Example: You run into a shady character late at night that's breaking into something. Through dialog you have the choice after spotting him to ask how he is so good at picking locks. The guy explains what you need to do and sends you on a quest/mission or test to see if you're good enough. Once you pass and learn the skill, you can start picking locks.

You can't pick any lock with this skill only easy ones. That's until you gain more skill and become better.

RELEASE DATE

Sometime in 2009

you go around picking up bottles listening to nickleback? not my bag sorry

I love the fallout series (by this I mean fallout I & II), but I can hardly see something like it being done in an rpg maker. You probably need to work on the graphics, especially the dirt-tiles you have there. And the battlegraphs should also be worked on.

I assume its pretty freeroaming, so don't put fetchquests allover. work on varieties of diffrents quests. and have a driving mainplot. then it might work out still.
This looks pretty cool, but I'm also gearing up for the throwdown between you and Max McGee who is making a very very similar game (Everyone loves Fallout, it seems). I'm curious to see what the differences will be between Aftermath and Everything Turns Grey.

READY? FIGHT.
author=Mr.Nemo link=topic=2678.msg50214#msg50214 date=1228950581
you go around picking up bottles listening to nickleback? not my bag sorry

I love the fallout series (by this I mean fallout I & II), but I can hardly see something like it being done in an rpg maker. You probably need to work on the graphics, especially the dirt-tiles you have there. And the battlegraphs should also be worked on.

I assume its pretty freeroaming, so don't put fetchquests allover. work on varieties of diffrents quests. and have a driving mainplot. then it might work out still.

Thanks for the feedback even though you were a complete assbag. The music in the TRAILER was Disturbed not Nickleback.

The game is not just about picking up bottles and the crap you "ASSUME". Play the game and find out more if you want. You also assume there is no main storyline even though you have not even played the game. Keep your thoughts to yourself unless you played my game and found it terrible which is your opinion. Don't go running at the mouth about something you have never even played makes you look like a moron.

I'm a really nice guy I am.. I just got really pissed at your remarks.

Here is a video of killing the entire town of Toyota off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_R2NnXdX0&NR=1
This looks pretty insane so i will have to try this out.

What happened to the previous game you were making drakiyth?
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Man, I wish you could get radiated donkey piss beer in the States.
author=demondestiny link=topic=2678.msg50290#msg50290 date=1228976440
This looks pretty insane so i will have to try this out.

What happened to the previous game you were making drakiyth?

Sup Demondestiny. The other game Crystal Crazy is still on my hard-drive I just have not felt like working on it anymore because it's kinda kiddy and I know I can do better than that.. I have been working on Aftermath in secret so I could launch a nice demo without any hype at all. Surprise.
author=drakiyth link=topic=2678.msg50242#msg50242 date=1228963895
Thanks for the feedback even though you were a complete assbag. The music in the TRAILER was Disturbed not Nickleback.

The game is not just about picking up bottles and the crap you "ASSUME". Play the game and find out more if you want. You also assume there is no main storyline even though you have not even played the game. Keep your thoughts to yourself unless you played my game and found it terrible which is your opinion. Don't go running at the mouth about something you have never even played makes you look like a moron.

I'm a really nice guy I am.. I just got really pissed at your remarks.

Here is a video of killing the entire town of Toyota off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_R2NnXdX0&NR=1

Well, the music and the quests displayed was all that the trailer said to me. Find bottles and listen whateverthehell.

Also, I didn't say you lacked a main plot, the thing is if you're getting a lot of sidequests going on, you will probably need a driving mainplot that makes the player want to advance (which every game needs, obviously). and no I didn't say it was terrible. if you actually read my comment once more, you'll see that it's merely in the first sentence I mention the fact that shitty music is shitty music, and that I don't like fetchquests.
Did you really have to take Fallout 1's tagline word for word?
wait I didn't see the download.

Then I'll try it out in a little while.
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=2678.msg50327#msg50327 date=1229006002

I'm not sure what you're talking about? Explain a little more.
MAJOR UPDATE!

Box's of bullets have been added to shops. These boxes are the price of 99 of the specific ammunition and can be used in or outside of battle to reload your guns. One of the best things about a box of ammunition is the fact it has a built in mechanic to re-equip your main hand gun in mid-combat.

This is revolutionary to the Aftermath system because players can now still have at least 1 firearm after reloading in battle. The game will automatically equip the best gun first before the worst.

EXAMPLE: You run out of .22 short ammunition with your .22 Sub-Machine Gun. Both of your guns are un-equipped since they are useless without ammo.

You have a spare box of .22 short in your inventory so you take a round to reload and add 99 bullets of .22 short and equip your .22 Sub-Machine Gun in your main hand over your .22 Pistol.

This will be coming out in the next patch/demo along with all kinds of other fantastic stuff!

author=Mr.Nemo link=topic=2678.msg50353#msg50353 date=1229027476
wait I didn't see the download.

Then I'll try it out in a little while.

Some tips if you play Mr. Nemo .

Junk piles respawn so you can endlessly loot them which is a chance every time you do.
The junk piles can sometimes drop items that you would not expect so keep looting and you might find something that puts a smile on your face. You will never play the same game twice in Aftermath for it has a very diablo style loot system and crap you find. There is some "set" things but mostly random.

You can choose to murder the town of Toyota of go the good path it's up to you. No matter what you choose the game will lead you into the main story line.

Sorry for being a dick earlier, I hope you enjoy the game.
author=drakiyth link=topic=2678.msg50363#msg50363 date=1229035654
Junk piles respawn so you can endlessly loot them which is a chance every time you do.
The junk piles can sometimes drop items that you would not expect so keep looting and you might find something that puts a smile on your face. You will never play the same game twice in Aftermath for it has a very diablo style loot system and crap you find. There is some "set" things but mostly random.

Sorry for being a dick earlier, I hope you enjoy the game.

sounds much better already. I'll try it out now

no probs, as I missed the downloadlink.

ps, don't doublepost.

EDIT:

I've played it now.

The dialouges where pretty solid. The intro and it's presentation where pretty cool, although I would probably ditch the intro-voice and rewrite the second and third parts of the intro text; wrap it up, make it shorter or something, the introclip made it pretty clear what happened. but that's just what I'd try to do. Otherwise, I can see that the story hasn't gone anywhere, so I can't really comment on that. Maybe though, you'll probably need some connection to your peers if you're going to motivate the player to find them (as in fallout I, where your commander tells you what to do).

Gameplay-wise, even though I realize you're at an early demo stage, you should improve on the battles (right now it's button-mashing :L). The random items where a good thing, as was the crafting you had going on there, but you should probably not limit yourselves to "fetch-quests", just reentering the town for half an hour (which was extremely boring, espec. wioth slow walking speed and lots of obstacles) collecting fetch-items (and killing mantises, which was easy-mode as I found dual berettas and soon also got some armor) wasn't very exiting. With decent dialouge, such as yours, tryout gossip and hints (ie. someone stole this and this, we have to find out who he is), making specific dialouge choices (convincing someone to give you a sparepart for crafting) or the like. But I do see alot of potential, if you're cautious about repetition. And exploit (ie. farming town#1 for 2hrs)

I liked the soundeffects and the music was decent. The graphics where far from terrible (again, the dirt-tile should be replaced) but I do have a feeling of a very "random-rubble" placements. I'd redesign the first town to make it bearable with the slow walking speed (ie. the wholes in the ground more as borders and such, whilst more rubble should be placed so it looks like destroyed buildings and not just random debris lying in your way. The worldmap looked pretty good and the indoors aswell. You should work on the battlegraphics, as right now, they are kinda stale and effortless. But I'm sure you'll get around to that aswell.

Also, if you need ideas, check out erave's "the burning grail" which was a pretty short and sweet post-apocalyptic game. You might also take a look at my own game, Solar Tear, if you'd like ideas on mapping (not that yours is bad at all) and battle-character graphics (or whatever, you might just get some motivation or whatever).

in short; battles, watch out for repetition, either fix maps or walkspeed and just try to get along with the game. If you need any help or whatever, I hear ye.
AFTERMATH - DEMO LINK 0.4 ZIP FILE

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CQKAZUWL

AFTERMATH - DEMO VERSION 0.4 PATCH NOTES

BUG FIXES

- Fixed the bug with Wendy which made her repeat your name twice after having
sex with her.

- Fixed a couple dialog errors.

GAME CHANGES

- The entire story board has been changed with pictures and the blue text is gone.
Start a new game to see all the new stuff.

- The Dark Scorpion Entertainment Logo has been fixed and looks much better.
It's also been changed in looks.

- Toyota's map has been changed around a bit to open up easier walk
paths and more junk piles have been added.

- It will now remain day or night for a much longer time now.

- Resting will now remove any poisons or toxic you have on you.

- The locker on the 2nd level of Toyota has had it's items changed.
It now offers four pain killer bottles so players have some early healing to
get them on their way.

- The price on all alcohol has been increased. This will give the player extra
money if they don't need any molotovs.

- The slingshot has been revamped and now does a lot more damage.

- Players that just start the game will be asked by Wendy what kind of
dream they had. The type of dream you choose will give your character
a one time permanant bonus to a couple of attributes.

This sadly only applies to new characters so old save games won't get the
bonus. However, you may want to start over to experience the game with the
new skills and changes added.

Special thanks to Killer Wolf on Gaming World Forums for the great idea.

- Frankie will now reward more money for each quest you turn in.

- The mantis repeatable quest will now offer the same experience as the
empty bottles.

- Frankie will only ask for 20 bottles and 3 mantis legs now. The beer part was
taken out so the player could save them for molotov cocktails or some extra
coins.

- Frankie now sells a book that teaches players how to throw a good punch.
This will give the main character a decent attack to use with his skill points early
in the game. You can also get this book later on if you kill Frankie.

- Wendy now sells a first aid manual that gives the player another way to heal using
their skill points. You can also get this book later on if you kill Wendy.

- The world map has expanded and changed. Lots of new enemies have been
added to give you a hard time. There is also a lot more battle backgrounds to
change things up a bit.

- Mantis will now appear in more than 1 enemy pack and now will perform
a double attack once in a while.

- The system battle interface has been revamped and updated.
I took a couple hours on this custom system so I hope you enjoy it.

- Added more detail to the Rattler Caves.

- Poisonous Snake Bite will now do the damage it was intended to do.

- Added the option after making a certain item in crafting to remake that item
without going down the list of things to make. This will let players fassion
molotovs of the same power level at much greater speeds.

- Added Boxes of ammo which will now let players hold 9999 rounds on them
without having to buy ammo for a very long time. The boxes of ammo can be
used in combat or outside of combat. If your gun is removed in combat due to
running out of ammunition, these boxes of ammo will equip the best gun in
your main hand that uses that ammo type.

NEW CONTENT

-The story continues in the Rattler Caves and players should be amazed with
what they find and learn.

- Added new weapons and armor.

- Added GO! GO! DRINKS! loaded with sugar to make you bounce off the walls!
You can buy these drinks from Sam and other places in Arizona.

- Added adrenaline shots which will restore your skill points.

- Added some gadgets. One is the Speed Enhancer which increases combat speed
and also increases your speed on maps.

- Players can now make molotov cocktail 3.

- New enemies await that are the most challenging yet!

wow, change the size of the link, it stretches the page.

Anyway, i never got a chance to download the previous one so i'll download this one. I'll try to put up some feedback by tomorrow.
author=demondestiny link=topic=2678.msg50668#msg50668 date=1229249468
wow, change the size of the link, it stretches the page.

Anyway, i never got a chance to download the previous one so i'll download this one. I'll try to put up some feedback by tomorrow.

I've put countless hours into this game. I hope you enjoy what I have done so far.
author=drakiyth link=topic=2678.msg50362#msg50362 date=1229035403
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=2678.msg50327#msg50327 date=1229006002

I'm not sure what you're talking about? Explain a little more.
Aftermath- A post nuclear role playing game
TUPAC THE PIMP - RUINS OF WINSLOW

NEW VIDEO OUT! BECOMING THE SEER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsnV_FN9l-4

RUINS OF WINSLOW -
Poor Winslow got hit hard by a nuke unlike Toyota which only got some damage. This town will be available in the next content update. Damages of places you will see in Aftermath depends on where you see craters on the world map. Winslow is very close to ground zero.

TIPS OF THE WEEK:

Always remember to scroll down in shops. Players might miss very cool things they can buy.

GO! GO! DRINKS! will greatly increase walking speed for 30 seconds. Scroll down to the very bottom of Sam's shop.

There is some powers you can learn later on - I won't spoil it for you that give you 1 minute faster travel speed.

You can get the speed enhancer later on that goes into the gadget slot and it increases speed.

Since you get a ton of money very easily I give the player a ton of **** that can help them. If you have some spare money and don't know what to spend it on get some GO! GO! DRINKS! which will help you earn money faster if you like collecting bottles and stuff.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Wow it is interesting that we are both working on post-apocalyptic games powered by ALTERNATIVE ROCK. Small world! I am going to pay very special attention to this because our games are NIGH FUCKING IDENTICAL and that WEIRDS ME OUT.

I will start with the positive: Your screenshots look very nice. Also your prose is fairly competent, which is of course, light years ahead of most writing in/about RPG Maker games.

However, some things are about to come UNDER ATTACK from Mr. McGee. I am being "ironical", of course. This is not an attack, just feedback. I hope you will not decide I am being an' assbag".

In the year 2032, North America lead an attack against Iran which caused major retaliation from Russia. This ultimately became a full scale nuclear war.

Realism alert! I feel that your political science kung fu is not strong, grasshopper. Let's start with the fact that NORTH AMERICA IS NOT A COUNTRY! I know that 2032 is in the future but it is not FAR ENOUGH in the future for me to swallow that as a likely scenario. You could act as an apologist for it by putting in lots of explanations and extenuating circumstances for why on earth we would nuke IRAN after all the places we didn't nuke in the 75+ years of the cold war and its aftermath (please see Vietnam and both Iraq conflicts for real life evidence of how America has dealt with such enemies using non-nuclear confrontations) but I think it would be better to radically alter the explanation for the war or skip it all together. (How the conflict spread from Iran, Russia, and the US to destroy the entire world is also unfortunately vague.)

It is for this very reason (and the one I'm about to discuss above) that the histories of the conflict in my game are never explained.

Twelve years after the war you and your family were running out of supplies and food which ultimately made you haveto leave the shelter and head into the wasteland.

I see your ACTUAL Science is even weaker than your political science. A mere 12 years after a large scale nuclear war like the one you described, anyone leaving a fallout shelter would die from radiation poisoning within a day, or simply freeze to death due to the cloud of ash and dust blotting out the sun, causing nuclear winter. Fallout's timeline of 200+ years is MORE PLAUSIBLE but is still, I feel, overly realistic.

In my project, the wars are an unspecified period of time ago (several hundreds of years) so long ago that no one remembers their cause. The theme here- the futility and utterly temporary nature of any great empire- is like Shelly's "Ozymandias", in RPG form. The factions and nations that people thought were important enough to destroy the world over, no longer even exist, i.e. dark irony. No one remembers the conflict or even what caused it, and it is instead referred to as "The Burning Times" with almost religious airs.

Of course I am not at all offering this as a suggestion for your project, because it is already far too similar to mine! I would suggest simply upping the number of years drastically from 12.

The music in the TRAILER was Disturbed not Nickleback.

This is hilarious because they are both such patently fucking awful "bands" that there is basically no difference between them in quality. And yes, I know they sound different. And yes, you fuckers, I know this is me, in my glass house, throwing stones. :P

Okay, seriously, I see only two things about your project I take objection to:

1. Way, way, way too much hype!
2. Seems too reliant on Fallout 3 for inspiration. There is homage (always acceptable, small doses), wearing your inspirations on your sleeve (which I am guilty of) and then there is outright ripoffery, which your game approaches.

But I am going to hit your trailers and your demo and I all but garantee I'll have more feedback for you.

-Max

P.S. You should really, really, really give Vermicide a try.

EDIT 1: Video: Becoming The Seer:

A. The spirits are DICKS:
FIRST SENTENCE: "The spirits have told me you have done a horrible thing."
NEXT SENTENCE: "They say you are worthy for what you have done"
B. I (don't) like how your game is identical to every rm2k3 game ever right down to the use of TRADITIONAL MAGIC. This is a mystifying choice to me.
C. I cannot criticize your use of FMV from other games (I used the same trick in Iron Gaia: Virus) but I imagine others will, and so I encourage you to use it sparingly.
D. Dude, I am basically an expert on/obsessed with guns, and I am 90% sure there is no such thing as a .22 short sub-machine gun and if there is, it is a curiosity.
E. In one fight, you have enemies heal before being damaged at all.
Questionable enemy AI.
F. I like some of your music and sounds.
G. Why is your ammo system not being shown off??
H. Default 2k3 skills like Constriction?
I. Your battle music is pretty sweet.
J. I also have an item named adrenaline shot. : ( At least they do different things.
K. Gameplay seems way too reliant on go go drinks. I hope they're cheap and plentiful, at least.
L. I like your looting "System", especially the sounds. I see our games also share the ability to attack non-hostile NPCs.
M. What are you going to do when you run out of that cave chipset? It is already getting monotonous.

Edit 2: "Official" Trailer:
Your game is an obsolete RM2k3 version of my RMVX game. :P

Yeah, I really can't do this point for point anymore. I can't give any more feedback without it just degenerating into comparisons with my game. Uh, I'll play it when I get around to it, definitely.
Wow it is interesting that we are both working on post-apocalyptic games powered by ALTERNATIVE ROCK. Small world! I am going to pay very special attention to this because our games are NIGH FUCKING IDENTICAL and that WEIRDS ME OUT.

Everything Turns Grey/Vermicide has a much different story then Aftermath. Aftermath takes place in a mystical part of the United States of America: Arizona.
Your game is basically a dirty/futuristic genre but hardly post-apocalyptic. Yes, there was a large scale war that was never explained but that was so long ago people would have rebuilt and there may be chances of some lesser radiation in heavy radioactive areas such as a crater or around it.

I will start with the positive: Your screenshots look very nice. Also your prose is fairly competent, which is of course, light years ahead of most writing in/about RPG Maker games.

Thank you. It's been hours of hard work on custom chips and making everything extremely dead and burned up looking. The maps are realistic to the burn damage of what an atomic bomb offers after detonation. Most of your outer regions away from the main cities would suffer some damage but not enough to wipe them off the map. Most human life if not protected by white paint on the windows or in a shelter of some kind would be burned and slain or suffer radioactive burns which could lead to death if not treated.

With that said, you will see some areas totally destroyed, or you will see some towns with heavy damage. Arizona is also littered with mountains
so that would take a pretty big part in deflecting some gamma rays as well.

However, some things are about to come UNDER ATTACK from Mr. McGee. I am being "ironical", of course. This is not an attack, just feedback. I hope you will not decide I am being an' assbag".

In the year 2032, North America lead an attack against Iran which caused major retaliation from Russia. This ultimately became a full scale nuclear war.

Realism alert! I feel that your political science kung fu is not strong, grasshopper. Let's start with the fact that NORTH AMERICA IS NOT A COUNTRY! I know that 2032 is in the future but it is not FAR ENOUGH in the future for me to swallow that as a likely scenario. You could act as an apologist for it by putting in lots of explanations and extenuating circumstances for why on earth we would nuke IRAN after all the places we didn't nuke in the 75+ years of the cold war and its aftermath (please see Vietnam and both Iraq conflicts for real life evidence of how America has dealt with such enemies using non-nuclear confrontations) but I think it would be better to radically alter the explanation for the war or skip it all together. (How the conflict spread from Iran, Russia, and the US to destroy the entire world is also unfortunately vague.)

I will give you a point on this for U.S.A/CANADA/MEXICO were never explained as a team going into war against Iran/Russia. You do understand that the possibility of nuclear war when attacking Iran is very extreme? Russia was the creator of Tsar nuke which was the strongest nuclear bomb of man kind. They are not really allies with the
united states and this sadly could even become a reality in a different time frame.
They are however best friends with Iran so things could turn very ugly very fast if
their small buddies were attacked.

I understand not having a story in your game and not getting into the political
parts of things, but that's where Aftermath gets a mature rating. It's a very deep
game with lots of controversy.

It is for this very reason (and the one I'm about to discuss above) that the histories of the conflict in my game are never explained.

Twelve years after the war you and your family were running out of supplies and food which ultimately made you haveto leave the shelter and head into the wasteland.

I see your ACTUAL Science is even weaker than your political science. A mere 12 years after a large scale nuclear war like the one you described, anyone leaving a fallout shelter would die from radiation poisoning within a day, or simply freeze to death due to the cloud of ash and dust blotting out the sun, causing nuclear winter. Fallout's timeline of 200+ years is MORE PLAUSIBLE but is still, I feel, overly realistic.

Nuclear Fallout will be lethal for up to 15 weeks in the areas around the bomb. There is still radioactivity that can last 24,000 years or more but it's not in the
air unless you're in a very infected area like the inside of a blast zone.
You could absolutely leave a shelter after twelve years without experiencing anything you mentioned. Nuclear Winter will block up the clouds only if the bombs were some of the weaker version like the project: Trinity.

This nuke was so weak compared to say the "Tsar" from russia that it would only rise a few miles above land which is below/inside the clouds. Bombs going off in 2032 would be equivalent in power to the Tsar which rose 14 miles into the sky causing very little fallout in land since it passed the clouds. compared to the smaller nukes which pollute the earth like a mother fucker. Where the other particles would simply burn up in our atmosphere. They specifically designed the Tsar to limit the amount of Nuclear Fallout. This is not saying there was not radiation in land from that bomb far from it. But it is saying the bigger bombs pack a bigger punch with fire/crushing damage but lesser poison damage.

Here is some stuff to read up on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fallout
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomb

Video is cooler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16cewjeqNdw

In my project, the wars are an unspecified period of time ago (several hundreds of years) so long ago that no one remembers their cause. The theme here- the futility and utterly temporary nature of any great empire- is like Shelly's "Ozymandias", in RPG form. The factions and nations that people thought were important enough to destroy the world over, no longer even exist, i.e. dark irony. No one remembers the conflict or even what caused it, and it is instead referred to as "The Burning Times" with almost religious airs.

Yet again, Dirty/Futuristic

Of course I am not at all offering this as a suggestion for your project, because it is already far too similar to mine! I would suggest simply upping the number of years drastically from 12.

The music in the TRAILER was Disturbed not Nickleback.

This is hilarious because they are both such patently fucking awful "bands" that there is basically no difference between them in quality. And yes, I know they sound different. And yes, you fuckers, I know this is me, in my glass house, throwing stones. :P

Total matter of opinion on taste of music. I like a lot of Disturbed I can hardly stand Nickleback and I like a lot of other music too. It's all opinionated and has nothing to do with the Aftermath/Vermicide projects.

Okay, seriously, I see only two things about your project I take objection to:

1. Way, way, way too much hype!
2. Seems too reliant on Fallout 3 for inspiration. There is homage (always acceptable, small doses), wearing your inspirations on your sleeve (which I am guilty of) and then there is outright ripoffery, which your game approaches.

When I get feedback from people it helps me continue the project. I love it, I eat it up I do this for people to have a fun free game which is hard to find sometimes.

Aftermath is a combination of Shadowrun and Fallout. Yes, you can learn spells and take over twenty pain killers in one battle but this is a fucking video game lol. You can only get so realistic in a video game. Just like in fallout 3 if you told your enemy to chill for a bit so you can inject yourself with stim packs. I added
the mysticism part because I did not want to make a clone of a game already out lol.

But I am going to hit your trailers and your demo and I all but garantee I'll have more feedback for you.

Sounds good. A play of the game should change things around a bit for you.

-Max

P.S. You should really, really, really give Vermicide a try.

It seems like a pretty cool project and I will check it out sometime.

EDIT 1: Video: Becoming The Seer:

A. The spirits are DICKS:
FIRST SENTENCE: "The spirits have told me you have done a horrible thing."
NEXT SENTENCE: "They say you are worthy for what you have done"
B. I (don't) like how your game is identical to every rm2k3 game ever right down to the use of TRADITIONAL MAGIC. This is a mystifying choice to me.

Those spirits are pure evil because Analynne the woman in the middle is a neutral shaman who respects the ancient spirits and gives you the choice of learning how
to become a Shaman or Seer. That path I made for the video is the evil one. There is of course the path of Shaman which you have to see in another video if I make it or if you play the game and go the good route.

I was hesitant on adding spells in Aftermath at first but I thought it would be really cool since there is lots of Indian/Ancient things buried in Arizona.
I won't spoil it for you, but the atomic bombs have a lot to do with unleashing
things on earth that were never seen by mankind before the war.

C. I cannot criticize your use of FMV from other games (I used the same trick in Iron Gaia: Virus) but I imagine others will, and so I encourage you to use it sparingly.

I currently only use 3 videos and they are pretty short and fit perfect for the scene.

D. Dude, I am basically an expert on/obsessed with guns, and I am 90% sure there is no such thing as a .22 short sub-machine gun and if there is, it is a curiosity.

.22 Machine Guns are rare as hell but I thought why not since every other game starts out with 10mm or better. .22 short/long rifle could be made into a SMG pretty easily. It's just a pretty weak SMG so who would bother with access to better? It's the same principle of starting a character out in a horror game with a butter knife/letter opener. Something that could kill somebody but barely since it's a beginners gun.

E. In one fight, you have enemies heal before being damaged at all.
Questionable enemy AI.

Haha good eye. I will be doing a readjustment to their AI.

F. I like some of your music and sounds.

Thanks much, I make sure shit sounds good and the ambiance is just right.

G. Why is your ammo system not being shown off??

Try making a system that not only tells what you have equipped but what your main hand/off hand weapon is + ammo and make that into a picture based ammo system... umm headache much? It's simply a waste of time for a little fluff. If I have nothing else to do I might implement it someday.

H. Default 2k3 skills like Constriction?

If it looks and sounds cool go with it.

I. Your battle music is pretty sweet.

I use two of my favorite tracks from Apokalyptika. Ion and Burn.

J. I also have an item named adrenaline shot. : ( At least they do different things.
K. Gameplay seems way too reliant on go go drinks. I hope they're cheap and plentiful, at least.

I needed an item that gave you a rush of motivation.

I was simply showing the GO! GO! DRINKS! off. You can get a gadget called the "Speed Enhancer" that improves run speed and Seers and Shamans have spells that increase it if you decide to go down the magic path which is optional.

L. I like your looting "System", especially the sounds. I see our games also share the ability to attack non-hostile NPCs.
M. What are you going to do when you run out of that cave chipset? It is already getting monotonous.

Thanks.

Depends on the situation.

Edit 2: "Official" Trailer:
Your game is an obsolete RM2k3 version of my RMVX game. :P

Yeah, I really can't do this point for point anymore. I can't give any more feedback without it just degenerating into comparisons with my game. Uh, I'll play it when I get around to it, definitely.

Thanks for the feedback. Play the game and have fun if you can.
Pages: first 1234 next last