WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

some peoples
controller chat

e: dang snypes

e2: Skip to 6:45 for when the game starts

e3: Hand cam
(peaches owns)
author=kentona
the way you have to torque your wrist to hit the B button is horrid, and you need a double-jointed thumb to hit X, and the tiny C-stick is unreachable. On a normal SNES or Wii Classic controller, your thumbjoint rests comfortably on the B button and the other 3 are quick and natural and easy to reach.

the three-pronged N64 feels more natural, and that's saying something
lol dud ur wack man heheheh :P

I guess I can see where you're coming from; the button layout for the GC controller isn't always ideal. I know that the Mega Man Anniversary Collection was virtually unplayable for me due to the GC controller. But in most cases, it worked just fine. I guess it just comes down to personal preference... like... everything, I guess.

The N64 controller is a curious creature, though. My time spent with it has been very limited, but I'm not even sure how to hold it. I guess a lot of people hold onto the middle prong and control the stick with their thumb, but that just feels wrong to me. I have to hold onto the left side and operate the stick with my index finger on top/thumb on the bottom. And even THAT is awkward for me.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I got Metal Arms: Glitch in the System for the Gamecube last week at the insistence from a friend I hadn't seen in years. By "insistence", I mean he literally blocked my exit from Gamestop until I bought it. He told me that it was a hidden gem, and that I'd be doing a series disservice by not getting it. Okay, fine. I'll buy it! Just let me out already!!

Anyway, I picked up the game for $10 buck, went home and popped it in.

And I looooooooove it!!

I usually go after RPGs or games with a strong story. So I had forgotten that sometimes I just want to kick back, relax, and blow shit up. This is a particular itch that Metal Arms scratches VERY well. I feel like a child again, gleefully running around, spraying more bullets than a Touhou game, and cackling like a madman watching enemy robots break apart limb from limb.

If you don't like the ideas of over 40 varied missions, a rocket launcher that can hold 50 rockets, and FARTING ROBOTS, then you seriously need to reevaluate your standards.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Super Smash Bros 3DS!
Fun... But now boring. No internet, and I'm almost done unlocking all the characters.
No one IRL to play with either. Lol should have waited for wiiu
author=Red_Nova
I got Metal Arms: Glitch in the System for the Gamecube last week at the insistence from a friend I hadn't seen in years. By "insistence", I mean he literally blocked my exit from Gamestop until I bought it. He told me that it was a hidden gem, and that I'd be doing a series disservice by not getting it. Okay, fine. I'll buy it! Just let me out already!!

Anyway, I picked up the game for $10 buck, went home and popped it in.

And I looooooooove it!!

I usually go after RPGs or games with a strong story. So I had forgotten that sometimes I just want to kick back, relax, and blow shit up. This is a particular itch that Metal Arms scratches VERY well. I feel like a child again, gleefully running around, spraying more bullets than a Touhou game, and cackling like a madman watching enemy robots break apart limb from limb.

If you don't like the ideas of over 40 varied missions, a rocket launcher that can hold 50 rockets, and FARTING ROBOTS, then you seriously need to reevaluate your standards.

Hey, i was meaning to buy that game for years back then. Never got around buying it. Might check online auctions for cheap prices...

Anyways I'm playing Tactics Ogre for GBA. I got used copy for like 5 bucks, i call that a steal.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Hmm, preordering Wolf Among Us for PS3. Hope its' what I except.
My son is hardcore into Dokapon Kingdom, so I've been playing that a lot. Right now we're dying a lot in SMB3, though.
I tried playing SMB3 for the first time in ages not too long ago. Either I was a masterful gamer when I was 10, or my mad skillz have deteriorated, because I don't remember it being THAT hard back in the day. XD

Still playing through Tales of Xillia 2. Once the plot kicks into high gear, that game is just WOW.
Still playing through Tales of Xillia 2. Once the plot kicks into high gear, that game is just WOW.

WOW like the first game? As in "WOW this is the worst writing I've ever seen my life!"?

Seriously ToX had one of the worst plots I've ever seen in an RPG. Good thing it was backed up by that cast of awful characters!

Alvin is the only good thing in ToX.
I didn't think the plot in the first game was that strong, either. And Teepo is definitely one of the worst things ever, but the rest of the cast didn't really bother me. Xillia 2 is generally more of the same, and the plot takes forever to get moving, but when it finally does, it's definitely better than the first game--but that's only if you like the new characters. If you're annoyed by the kid that tags along on your journey, then there's absolutely nothing for you in this game. If you like the kid, then there's a halfway decent story buried under all of the fractured dimension stuff. The game is far from perfect, but I don't think it's a smoldering pile of dreck.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=AlphaOmega247
I tried playing SMB3 for the first time in ages not too long ago. Either I was a masterful gamer when I was 10, or my mad skillz have deteriorated, because I don't remember it being THAT hard back in the day. XD

Ikr? When I was 13, I was the kid bragging about finding all the secrets and beating the game three times. When I tried playing it again these past couple of weeks, I'm like, "Shit, did something short out while I wasn't playing and ratchet the difficulty up like 10 fucking times?"

I've come to the conclusion that the games they make these days are a hell of lot easier than the games they made for Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision and NES.
author=AlphaOmega247
I didn't think the plot in the first game was that strong, either. And Teepo is definitely one of the worst things ever, but the rest of the cast didn't really bother me. Xillia 2 is generally more of the same, and the plot takes forever to get moving, but when it finally does, it's definitely better than the first game--but that's only if you like the new characters. If you're annoyed by the kid that tags along on your journey, then there's absolutely nothing for you in this game. If you like the kid, then there's a halfway decent story buried under all of the fractured dimension stuff. The game is far from perfect, but I don't think it's a smoldering pile of dreck.

My major issue with the cast isn't just that they're overly badly written or annoying or anything, they're just uninspired. They're the same 5 or 6 characters that appear in every fucking Tales game and it's just getting old at this stage. When you couple the outdated Tales stereotypes with a really drab backstory it just mixes terribly. I found myself thinking "shut up shut up shut up shutupshutupshutupshutup" etc way before the end of the game was in sight.

The cast members that I DO have a serious problem with however are the villains. Seriously, there's a handful of villains, none of which are interesting in the fucking least and ALL of which are horrendously cliched beyond belief. Gaius is the worst Sephiroth wannabe I've ever seen, especially since he's doing his one winged angel with a big sword bit while cosplaying as Van's second form from TotA.

The Elympios thing at the end was basically badly cellotaped onto the game. I honestly thought Maxwell was the final boss (because the plot has no direction) until the game mysteriously kept going afterwards and Gaius popped in the remind everyone that he even existed in the first place.

I know it's probably a fools hope, but I really want Tales of Zesteria to be good. I'm super excited to have Go Shiina back as the composer (even if he has that fuckface Motoi Sakuraba following him around this time) since Tales of Legendia easily has the best soundtrack in the series IMO. Not to mention one of the best soundtracks for any video game in general.

Speaking of which, I need to order Tales of Legendia off of eBay. I haven't played that game since I was a kid but I remember it being sweet.

EDIT: To speak on topic for a second, I pretty much only play Animal Crossing in the mornings now, and maybe some 2P Skate later on. I'm waiting for Smash U and the Mario Kart 8 DLC.
Yeah, I was just thinking about how the Xillia cast compares with the others and I reached the same conclusion. It doesn't really bother me YET, but I'm well aware that the characters are always going to be similar between games. There's always going to be a villain with a bunch of odd subordinates, there's always going to be an "old" man in the party, there's always going to be a strange cutesy animal character. Some variety and complexity would be nice, but for the time being, I can live with hit.

And I had NO idea that Go Shiina was composing Zestria! That is great news. Legendia's soundtrack is absolutely incredible. Motoi Sakuraba certainly has his moments (the music in Baten Kaitos is pretty good), but his Tales work is just the same recycled stuff over and over and over... and over and over again. In one of the Tales games (they all blend together, so I can't even remember which one), there's a song called "Generic Theme," and it's literally the source of every song Sakuraba has ever composed. I was playing Mario Golf: World Tour not too long ago, and music for one of the golf courses is literally, note for note, the Tales of the Abyss battle theme. It eventually deviates, but the first 10-15 seconds are identical. I guess stuff like that is bound to happen when you compose 70 game soundtracks a year.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Oh there's no question games today are easy street compared to days of old. Besides the need to coddle players so they feel accomplished enough to buy the shitty sequel, with flashier graphics, games today feel more like movies rather than challenges. Who wants to repeat the same shitty button sequence where the hero defies game logic to do movie moves? I don't even want to start on QTEs, actually...
The other major thing was graphical and system limitations. The Atari was not the system to play Halo on, for instance. Only so much you can do with dots on a screen. Except make it harder?
The reason we got so damn good at old games when we were kids is A) children are easier to program than adults, B) the difficulty forced us to practice a lot and thus become better, and C) we had a lot more time on our hands.

That brings another point, the limited time of the average busy adult life really brings me back to the easy factor. We don't have time to pplay Mario 50,000 times anymore. What's more; Mario isn't the only interesting game on the market anymore! There's shit tons to play and no time. So what is the solution? Make sure they beat your game timely so they can buy the sequel, or just about any other game for that matter.
Titan Quest: I'm playing an Earth/Spirit build. As the main attack, I combine the +100% fire damage aura with Ternion Attack. I also use both the Core Dweller and the Liche King summon as well as a panic button skill. It usually lets me breeze trough enemies, but those times an enemy does manage to get a lot of attacks off, it's a problem since my character is frail.

I also have a Warfare/Dream build. It's far more durable than my first character, but deals nowhere near the same amount of damage.
Titan Quest is my N.2 most favourite action/loot RPG, just behind Diablo 2 LOD, such a great game. Waiting to see how Grim Dawn turns out.

Anyways, been playing quite a few games, apart from Hearthstone and Pokemon X, I gave Infinite Undiscovery a second chance, and I am enjoying it quite a lot.

Also reinstalled GW2 after a long time.... part of me wants to keep playing it, but part of me doesn’t want to spend so much time playing a single MMO game that I don’t like nearly half as much as GW1 (spend just a bit over 1000 hours on that game, the memories...).
The PvE is alright solo, but boss battles/events are just massive zerg-fests with no strategy involved, and getting rid of the holy trinity didn’t work out that well IMHO. The game is fun, and has some nice ideas (mainly how everyone just naturally works together, no mob-stealing etc...), but I guess I will spend my gaming time trying to get through some of my backlog games instead. Cause there are quite a few, and being mostly RPGs, they take time :)

EDIT: To the discussion above, yes, games nowadays seem a bit on the easy side. I remember playing Contra on the NES as a kid, playing and playing and playing, running out of lives in the early levels, making little progress, but slowly mastering the game. When I finally beat the game for the first time it was sooooo satisfying. And then I kept playing, and got better, to the point where I was able to run through the whole game without losing a single life (the spread weapon is so OP compared to others). I tried playing it again recently, and I barely made it to the 5th level before getting Game Over, far cry from running through the whole game on one life. I got rusty, and I have no idea how I was able to consistently get through the "lasers everywhere" level without dying.

Anyways, part of the reason why older games were harder could be: no internet. I for example never knew a thing such as Konami code existed when I was a kid. You had to figure out how to beat games yourself, or be lucky and have a few gaming friends who could offer advice, or get some info from a gaming magazine. Nowadays, you can just google "how to beat game X, boss Y, get item Z", there are walkthroughs and youtube videos for almost ANYTHING, and the temptation is sometimes hard to resist, when you’re stuck on some puzzle/boss that you just can’t figure out how to solve/beat (Dark Souls’ Ornstein and Smough anyone?). Your solutions are just one click away. But I’m just kinda rambling here, not complaining about modern gaming or anything, there are plenty challenging/deep games to be found.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Grind Garuda HM for Tomes XIV
Yeah, back when I was a young cricket, I would probably get one new video game each year, if I was lucky, and I would play that game to death. I suppose that WOULD account for a certain level of mastery.

On the other hand, I've probably bought 10 new games this year alone. Mario Kart 8 is a great example. I certainly loved every moment I spent with it, but I have spent far fewer moments with it than Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64. And it shows, because I get my ass handed to me by the kiddies all the time. It's pretty bad when I consider 6th place a good showing...

On that note, I think I'll be playing Mario Kart 8 in a moment. XD
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Castlevania 64, and all the stupid shit is giving me a migraine. Currently in the garden trying to outrun double dogs and chainsaw Frankie. The worst.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
I'm playing Link to the Past on the SNES, afterwards I'll beat wind waker on the gamecube, then maybe Super mario world. Perhaps even yoshi's island!

Oh, then I'll play final fantasy III! Then maybe some Donkey Kong 64, and perhaps some LoZ Majora's Mask!

So many choices!