WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

Final scores:
Starfox Zero - 7.8/10
Twilight Princess HD - 8.6/10
Playing Rust. It's fun. It's fucking frustrating. I hate people and I am justified in doing so when it comes to this fucking game.

The game itself is kind cool - it's a sandbox survival that is built around the idea of base warfare PvP. So you build your base with materials you find and then you raid other bases. Pretty cool concept. The timer is always on so if you aren't online someone can raid your base. Of course, that's where part of the problem lies - people are complete fuckmunchers and will raid your base when you're not there to try and protect it. Worse than those people, though, are the fucknuts who kill newbs.

And there's a lot of them.

See, when you die in the game, you are either randomly respawned elsewhere or sent back to your sleeping bag (if you've got one). Your body is left to be looted or eaten (sometimes by the mean wildlife - bears and wolves - but usually by the asshole that shot you). Thing is, it's very hard going solo on the servers because to survive you need to:
= find food and water
= gather supplies enough to build a house
= gather supplies enough to reinforce your house
= gather supplies enough to build furnaces to make metal to further reinforce your house
= gather blueprints to learn how to make armour/weapons/healing/etc

= don't get killed by assholes

Here's how my first week in the game went (keep in mind that while I hadn't played the game before, I'd seen some LPs of it by a bunch of people, which is why I got the game in the first place).

Log into a small Sydney server. Figure, hey, fellow Aussies would be nice, right? Yeah... sure...
Get a few supplies together to make a little shack on a beach. It's 2x1 - tiny - and I put a little roof on it to make it feel homely. Add a door and a box and lucked into finding some cloth for a bed. It's really feeling nice. I'm starving a bit but hey, at least I have a roof over my head. This took about 2 hours to do. I log out.

Next day log in. Door has been broken in, I've been killed and looted of all my rocks and wood and tools. I'm still starving. At least my bed is still here, though, so I respawned here. I go out to look for more supplies, figuring I need to get new tools made and fix my house and make it out of stone instead of wood. Walking past what appears to be an abandoned house I am sniped.

Someone destroyed my bed while they were at it so I respawned in a random beach. Yay, back to scrounging for a place to live. :/
Find a nice little rock outcropping that takes me a while to jump up. Maybe a hard-to-reach base is best? I start crafting with the many resources I can find around the place - this area is pretty bountiful. It gets night and it's impossible to see. I'm running back in the direction I think my base is when I meet a wolf. A very angry, very hungry wolf.
RIP LIBERTY.
RIP BASE 2.

Wake up in a random place again, no idea where I am. Figure "Fuck it" and decide to try cliff-base idea again. This time surrounded by abandoned bases so people won't be likely to look at my shack, right? Manage to make a neat little house on a hillock. It doesn't look like much but it's mine and I finally have a place to feel safe. Go to sleep and log off again.

Next time I log in I am face down in the water. Fuck me. Fine, base 2 idea isn't working. Luckily I wake up near a nuclear reactor and army base area so I figure "Hey, why not set up camp here?"

Takes me a while to get any stone since the area is pretty much tapped out. Wood is plentiful, though! I get together a nice little base on the side of a cliff. Figure I'll do a small base part and tower up to have my goodies on a top floor. Upgrade the base part to stone when possible, and add in locked doors on the way up the tower since that way people will give up after a while since they take ages to break down.

Things are looking up! I think about adding some keys to my doors in the top floor but because it's not secured yet I think twice. Stupid thing to do. Go out on a run and get some really nice stuff - finally I have clothes and some weapons. Log out and cross my fingers.

Log in today and do a stone sweep since I've only a few swings of my pick left to go. Get a nice amount and chop some wood when I find a barrel. Inside are blueprint plans for semi-auto gun! Aw yeah. I read that shit only to be killed by a crossbow dart to the head.

Some fucker saw a naked person (my clothes were thankfully packed away) and decided to shoot them for the lols. Fuck them. I wake up in my sleeping bag and now I'm locked inside my house by upgraded walls and 3 fucking locked doors. There is no way out. My stone broke trying to break down one of the doors. As did my torch. I am slowly starving to death in my home. Send help or C4! ;.;

I feel like playing Fallout 4 is preferable since it has new content now and the only fucks trying to kill you are AI - you know for them it's not about fun or personal or fucking over everyone they can find.

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
(lol Deja Vu)

Played a couple of indie games that've been sitting on my harddrive for ages:

Odd Planet - Got frustrated by a few obtuse design decisions at the start, but once I finally looked at the control window it went by pretty smoothly. I wasn't a fan of the big cliffhanger ending, but overall it was a pretty nice experience for what it was

Pitri - I think I wasn't in the mood for metroidvania platformers when I picked this up, so I didn't play it for long. The physics feel lacking in polish and kind of glitchy. Meh.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
I've been playing Fieldrunners 2, one cool feature is that once you repeat a level you get a dev commentary explaining some design choices and how they got there through testing.

I wouldn't recommend playing it (or the first game) through Steam, I lost my saves due to a Steam related bug (not cloud related).
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=iddalai
I've been playing Fieldrunners 2, one cool feature is that once you repeat a level you get a dev commentary explaining some design choices and how they got there through testing.

I love developer commentary. It's always interesting to hear the accounts of devs on how certain decisions were made or prior versions of a level or cutscene. I really wish more games did that.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
fieldrunners 1 was so bad i tried to remove it from my steam library completely

rust sounds fun, liberty! i think i'd rather watch it than play it though.

still playing bravely second, but i'm almost done. started ori and the blind forest: definitive edition... so enjoyable, great music, but a little frustrating at times.
Well, I managed to find a neat server where people don't kill you straight off the bat and the people are friendly. A good place to hang around when I don't want to worry about being destroyed. Easy mode, really, especially since resources amounts are multiplied by five (where-as usually you get 20, in this place you get 100) and levels that allow you to get a percent based increase on that too.

I have a fort and a bunch of neat blueprints learned and am having fun not dying.

I'm going to do an LP challenge of 5 lives on one of the normal servers, though. I'll likely fail fast.
XD
author=Craze

rust sounds fun, liberty! i think i'd rather watch it than play it though.

still playing bravely second, but i'm almost done. started ori and the blind forest: definitive edition... so enjoyable, great music, but a little frustrating at times.

I've only played the mobile/tablet version of Fieldrunners, which is probably the same as the PC one, but I thought it was pretty decent. As far as PC tower defense games go, I think my favorites are Defense Grid, Bloons, and Kingdom Rush. There's an FPS/TD hybrid called Sanctum that I have, which was pretty novel--not novel enough that I got the sequel, though.

Anyway, after a recent replay of Dragon Quest 4, I have moved on to Dragon Quest 9. When at home, I've been playing FF9, but haven't in a week-ish since I've been a bit busy. When I finish FF9 I will probably start Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
Good Robot: Beat it again. My performance in this game depends almost entirely on what weapon I use. All of my losing runs ended with me thinking "let's give this weapon a chance" and then instead of getting hit 0-2 times per level, I got hit 20+ times. The final run I won not because I played better, but because I never got a crappy weapon. The weapon unbalance is absurd considering the game is otherwise well designed.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=Craze

It's not the best tower defense game, but it's by no means bad. Just your typical tdg.
Got pulled back into Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain. It's one of those games that, as a long time fan, I feel is bitter sweet. So many gaps in the narrative, so many unanswered questions, and great voice work that was... not utilized.

Still, the gameplay is incredible. That's what keeps me coming back: replaying missions, completing all objectives, trying different techniques for infiltrations, using different items (try the "all lethal/loud weapons" challenge and try to sneak through missions with only your horse as your buddy). It's fun.

Multi-player is OK.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
iddalai
Craze
It's not the best tower defense game, but it's by no means bad. Just your typical tdg.

there are so many defense games and so many GOOD defense games that a mediocre-to-bad one has no reason to exist or be noticed. =|
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I just tried playing Mega Man X. Oops, I suck at video games. Can't beat any stage.
author=LockeZ
I just tried playing Mega Man X. Oops, I suck at video games. Can't beat any stage.

You need...

NINTENDO POWER!
Ratty524
author=kentona
author=LockeZ
You need...

NINTENDO POWER!

I beat Megaman X countless times without using Nintendo Power. B)

@LockeZ: What are you having trouble with in particular?
unity
You're magical to me.
author=LockeZ

Start with Chill Penguin's stage to get the dash boots. They help a lot. (I always change the controls so I can dash with the L and R buttons. Does anyone else do that? XD)
Ice Penguin is the definite intended starter and his entire routine is dirt simple and the dash gives you a ton of mobility. Flame Mammoth fits the Big archetype so he is easy to shoot to death and his stage is made even easier after beating Chill Penguin but his weapon ends up being Chill Penguin's weakness and mostly garbage. e: It does open up a health up item in Chill Penguin's stage iirc /e:

The best upgrade after the dash is the armor which is in Sting Chameleon's stage if you dash over the cave and fight the miniboss there. It halves all damage so it's value is pretty obvious. Don't expect to get anything else out of Sting Chameleon early on though.

Storm Eagle is a good early boss contender. With the dash you can clean out his entire stage of upgrades as long as you can find them, and almost every attack Storm Eagle has is easily avoided just by dashing. His weapon is also one of the most effective too, although in the weakness order he's before Flame Mammoth so it won't help killing bosses too much.

author=unity
(I always change the controls so I can dash with the L and R buttons. Does anyone else do that? XD)

iirc it became the default dash button in the Zero series and stayed that way in ZX. It's definitely way better than pushing A for dashing, especially when you get into some jumps that you need to dash&jump&shoot for.
Ratty524
Yeah, changing the dash to the shoulder buttons is WAAAY more comfortable than double/tapping or pressing any other button.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
My problem, specifically, is that I suck at video games that require any form of timing or reaction.
author=LockeZ
My problem, specifically, is that I suck at video games that require any form of timing or reaction.

Practice.