WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

author=Craze
question: what is breach league in path of exile?

answer:

Path of Exile is the best! Breaches only get crazier and drop even more loot later on lmao.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Holy crap it's almost midnight and I forgot to eat dinner. Also, I played some of The Last Guardian today.

Think there's any correlation?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Red_Nova
Holy crap it's almost midnight and I forgot to eat dinner. Also, I played some of The Last Guardian today.

Think there's any correlation?

you kept hitting the "make dinner" command but trico refused to do it because of poor coding?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I've been hearing that complaint all over the place, but I have yet to really run into anything that annoyed me too much. Sure, sometimes I need to repeat the same command once or twice, but I haven't felt frustrated at all.

If anything, the most frustration I've had with the game is the camera, which admittedly Trico loves to hog. Pro tip: Never try to ride Trico through a narrow hallway. If you do, NEVER try to turn around.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Played a bit of Helen's Mysterious Castle yesterday. I was stuck on the Griffin, but, I also had no clue how to upgrade equipment/skills until I messed around in the menu.

*Edit: I'm still very much playing Suikoden 3, and having more of a blast this time around than I ever remember having.
Craze

(full: http://i.imgur.com/yFiQO3M.jpg)

Backers got early access to Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero. It's good.

Marrend: Enjoy Helen's! It's much better than Suiko3's terrible gameplay!
Decided to re-attempt clearing GunWings after a long hiatus. It greeted me with pretty Xmas lights.

send halp
Red_Nova
author=Craze
you kept hitting the "make dinner" command but trico refused to do it because of poor coding?

...I see what you mean now.

Yeah, I've gotten frustrated at Trico on more than one occasion. It really makes me want to dive into the code myself to see just how Trico works. For better or worse, the fact that I had to repeat my commands multiple times in a way helped the illusion that I was dealing with an animal.

So yeah, I beat The Last Guardian last night. It's strange: I kinda feel like I was playing through the entire 9 year development cycle. I started off amazing, then started cracking around 1/3 of the way through while I struggled with dodgy physics, Trico's A.I., poor player conveyance, and an ATROCIOUS framerate.

However, I could definitely feel near the end when the team buckled down and went back to work on the game when suddenly everything smoothed out and Trico became more responsive to my commands. Unfortunately, the endgame sequence was convoluted and I was flailing around trying to figure out what to do until the game simply gave me the answer (thanks, narration). So I was left with a sour taste in my mouth.

That being said...

The game never once faltered in its charm. I loved Trico and genuinely felt for him, especially in moments of peril. Team Ico's heart and soul shines brilliantly throughout the entire adventure, and calmed me down when I was getting riled up at the wonky physics or Trico's disregard for my commands.

The pros outweighed the cons for me. From an objective and technical standpoint, TLG is slightly above average. Injecting my own bias, it's one of my favorite games this year.
Craze
I can understand all of that. It's a bad game but it has an interesting atmosphere. I personally think that the ending is bullshit and takes way too fucking long to say nothing, but whatever. The cop outs are real. It's not worth retail price but it'll be a good $10 adventure down the line.
Red_Nova
I'm mad that I can't reasonably argue with anything you just said. While I agree with you on the overall ending, I think it certainly says something...

...then backs down on that statement in the post credits scene. I enjoy happy endings, but that scene was there just to invoke a cheap d'awwww from the audience.
Super interesting read, Red! I heard very mixed things about the game. I'm glad the heart shone through in the end.

Speaking of games that were mega hyped for the past million years...

Final Fantasy XV.

(this became quite the wall so I will only focus on the story this post)

I went into FFXV with a balanced point of view. I did not expect a masterpiece. I did not expect failure. I just went in and let the game take me for a ride, hoping that Square was not as much as a failure as I feared they were.

The game started strong for me, despite hating how the characters looked with a passion. I could actually move around in a seemingly big world. The world was unique. Lots of fun charming bro trip stuff like camping, pictures at the end of the day, and funny banter between one another. The few times music played it was quite good, as expected from Yoko Shimomura.

I spent the first few hours just enjoying quests and bounties. The battle system seemed promising enough, though I was iffy about it from the start.

Then I started proceeding in the story. I don't think I ever played a game where I felt like the story was a bigger mess. Is the game Road Trip the movie in game form? Damn, I wish it was.

I've seen some other people say this and it is pretty true: The game has no idea what it wants to be. A complex political drama? A bro trip? Certain elements of the plot make little to no sense to me.

First things first, they lazily expect you to get a lot of the story from that damn stupid ass movie they released before the game came out. You get to a certain point early on and it shows a clip show of the movie. It made me feel like I was missing out on something. (based off what I heard it wasn't anything that mattered)

The game constantly feels like it is telling an inside joke that I do not know about. Such as, how the world works, the character's chemistry and backstory, and even the villains. It almost implies that I should know this stuff. Why should I care about Notcis finding his fiancee? Why are the four buddies best friends? Where do these people from the gas stations LIVE? Wait, Notcis went to high school??? These gaps are filled ever so slightly in random moments of the game.

From what I know, the movie nor demo answer any of these. The game feels like a bunch of different teams wrote it at once at random places and never bothered to tie anything together.

The world feels like USA. Yet you are still clearly Japanese. There are empires and kingdoms with monsters and royalty and whatnot. Yet it is modern times with high schools and what not. Sure, at first this seems cool. Creative world with a variety of culture. Yet it all falls terribly short.

It's like a little kid watched a politically complex show. After watching, they proceed to go play with their toys and make their own politically complex story. Yet their minds are underdeveloped and don't quite understand what actually happened. So the kid is playing with toys, making this weird and complex plot that no one understands but them.

It's cute when a kid does it, not so cute when the same company that made the greats like FFVI, Chrono Trigger, etc etc do it.

Square has totally forgotten how to make a good story, or even a coherent story at all. They have literally no sense of scope at all.

I have not beaten the game yet. I still have plenty to go. Yet my motivation is VERY low. Sometime in the future I will ramble about the gameplay and exploration. I didn't touch upon how poorly written the character interaction was.

I mean, I enjoyed the game so far, but as I played it's becoming more and more of a giant disappointment. Hopefully that changes in the last 10 hours or so, but I somehow doubt it. ):
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
zDS, I can relate to a lot of what you're saying, especially the stuff about FFXV having no idea what it want to be. Also, I cannot for the life me even guess at most of the characters' motives, inc. the baddies, and I have the feeling I'll never actually find out because the game doesn't seem to want me to CARE - it's just like, "Here, X person will help you get to Y. Have fun".

For the last couple of days I've been finding myself increasingly disappointed in the game, until today, when I finally became able to actually put up a fight against daemons during the night. Had a very fun 30 minute session of battling monsters and daemons in a battle royale of sorts.

I think that's where the strength of FFXV should have shone - It's a technical masterpiece, no denying it. So why not make use of that and throw a shedload of enemies at the heroes and see how they handle it? Massive fights would be a lot more fun than generic enemy encounters that seem to mostly populate this game so far (I'm about 22 hours in).
Craze
The odd thing is that SE was never really, uh, great with story. FFVI is a meh game with a terrible story and CT is a great game with, uh, a big spikey ball and a few mentions of a princess at the eleventh hour. CT had fun characters and FFVI... had.... nice sprites and music. Man that second half was bad.

So yeah i'm not surprised that people aren't impressed with the storytelling when they've never done it well. hello ff12 ;V (ff7 had decent pacing afaik though, i never beat it, so good on you ff7)

edit: also ffvi was made by square, not squenix. they're also twenty years old. i highly doubt (slash, know it's not) it's the same people, which means for all intents and purposes it's an entirely different company ;V
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I'll agree FFVI wasn't amazing story-wise, but I recently replayed FFX and despite not liking a few characters, I find it difficult to criticise its storytelling. The plot just flows really well, and heck, even the love story element makes sense.
Craze
yeah ffx is an odd duck in a franchise of odd ducks. i was mostly thinking of the most egregious offenders (ff6/12/apparently 15), not ones to celebrate much.

then again lightning returns is in my top 5 most favorite games so maybe i'm not the kind of person who has anything to positive to offer on a game site dedicated to ff6 clones ;V
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Craze, plz take back your insults of FF6 or we can't be friends any more.

Yoshinori Kitase, the director of FF6, FF7, FF8, FF10, and Chrono Trigger, is still employed full-time at Square Enix but hasn't worked on a game in about a decade. He directed FF10 in 2001, did event planning for Crisis Core in 2007, and has otherwise just switched to working on production shit rather than any part of the game design. Weird. He still does a lot of work, and is the lead producer for multiple games per year, including almost every Final Fantasy game and every Mana game. But this guy who is just the world paragon of role-playing game design has apparently not actually helped make a game since the Square-Enix merger.

At least he's currently a member of the "Final Fantasy Committee" which was formed in 2013 to watch over new FF games and make sure the series doesn't get any worse. Also on the team are the directors of FF13, FF14:A Realm Reborn, and FF Type 0. Tetsuya Nomura is not, though, for some reason. My theory is that this team was created specifically to stop Tetsuya Nomura from ruining the FF7 remake too badly.
Oddly enough, X was the one I hated the most, story- and character-wise. I guess we look for different things in stories. XD

I've started replaying x-2. Enjoying myself so far. I forgot what fun it is to just kick back and play a game that hasn't got a serious "save the world" plot. It's nice.
My understanding is that a lot of things about XV changed far too late in development than reasonably workable. Rumor has it that a lot of the story and cutscenes were scrapped, or cut and put into Kingsglaive to recuperate some of the massive budget that this game was costing SE.

Having put close to 50 hours into XV at this point, it's very clear that most of the development time was put into Lucis (The continet for Chapters 1-8, and the postgame) and they just ran out of time as far as everything else was concerned. But even the Lucis chapters have very wonky storytelling despite how fantastic the open world is. Things just... happen. Characters are introduced and are never heard of again, events transpire offscreen that you only hear about later, and there's just no reason to care about any of it.

This is absolutely not the Final Fantasy game to play for the story. At least now as it stands now. That said, the postgame content has been a blast.

Craze
LockeZ
Craze, plz take back your insults of FF6 or we can't be friends any more.

celes, cyan, and gestahl aren't completely poorly done. there might be a boss that isn't boring given the game's balancing!

...was that good enough

(more seriously: ff6 would have been amazing on the ps1. the snes couldn't handle what they wanted to do, while a game like CT was the perfect size (in all manners) for the system. give ff6 another year, difficulty options, and the space to fit all the text and bits it needed on a disc and it would have been incredible.)

LockeZ
At least he's currently a member of the "Final Fantasy Committee" which was formed in 2013 to watch over new FF games and make sure the series doesn't get any worse. Also on the team are the directors of FF13, FF14:A Realm Reborn, and FF Type 0. Tetsuya Nomura is not, though, for some reason. My theory is that this team was created specifically to stop Tetsuya Nomura from ruining the FF7 remake too badly.

Welp. Yoshi-P and whoever did Type-0 definitely deserve a seat on that. If the director of FF13 is the same as the director of 13-2 and LR, I can stomach that. While I enjoyed FF13, I wouldn't really call it a great game. The other two were great fun though.