WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

Wheeee Majora's Mask 3DDDD
Fire Emblem (7)

Pretty fun stuff, though it's the first FE I've ever played. I'm sure the others are probably better.
author=zacheatscrackers
Fire Emblem (7)

Pretty fun stuff, though it's the first FE I've ever played. I'm sure the others are probably better.

I finished that game a few weeks ago, and I can tell you that is REALLY good! I would also like to get Awakening, since I heard very good things about it, but sadly, I can't afford a 3DS... :_;
Borrowed a 3ds to play a link between worlds, ended up buying one (after the release of the new 3ds you can get the xl really cheap, second hand). I had a blast playing it, now i'm going to start fire emblem awakening.
Just finished a run of (the PC version) Final Fantasy 7, been my first time through it in about 6 or 7 years I think. It was certainly interesting.

I think I've now affirmed that, as a kid, I loved that game for what I saw in it, not necessarily for what it actually was. I can definitely see how it was so influential to my creative process when I was a kid, but playing it now exposes a lot of its flaws and inconsistencies. The story is a lot weaker and shorter than I remember it being, it seemed like as soon as it was starting to really get involved it was just "Hey lets go kill Sephiroth" and it's already over. I think I remember there being a lot of stuff between the Huge Materia quests and the fight with Diamond Weapon? But I guess not.

I think it might be the fact that there's a 3rd disc which is basically just the final battle. Makes it seem like there's a lot more at first glance.

I felt like it could have used some more focus on developing the world, since it really seemed like the writer's just wanted to talk about Cloud and Sephiroth and end things as soon as that story was clued up. The environment design is still absolutely stunning, it's just a shame that the world is so small and a lot of the areas are passed over without much development. I mean, I guess this is just the translation, but a lot of story information is badly exposed to the player and only becomes clear around the second time they bring it up.

Maybe this is just because of the PC port, but I couldn't help but almost laugh in a lot of the scenes Sephiroth is featured. His model is higher res and it almost looks like he's wearing black lipstick or something... I don't know, I just thought it looked funny when this dude with flowing hair and lipstick starts standing around with his arms spread, looking to the heavens.

I genuinely love the often haunting atmosphere of the game though, and I think that weird, spookyness of the world is what really gets me the most. The whole thing with Nibelheim being an illusion (seriously, that's never explained, even after the Zack thing. Was there ever a fire there or what?), the droning, sci-fi like theme of the City of the Ancients, all the strange real world cameos like the My Bloody Valentine advertisement, the Texas sign and the game being set in our Solar System. I think that's definitely something that will never be reproduced, and it always inspires me.

Now that I've played it again, I feel more like writing my "magnum opus" some more, because I've re-identified with some of the things I wanted to bring into it. If nothing else, that alone makes me happy that I played it.

Now I need to figure out what RPG I'll play next.
author=Pizza
I think it might be the fact that there's a 3rd disc which is basically just the final battle. Makes it seem like there's a lot more at first glance.
My PS1 copy of Final Fantasy 7 had 3 discs. While the original PC version has 4 discs.
I found out how many discs the PC version had was on a GameFAQs forum thread.
author=Pizza
Maybe this is just because of the PC port, but I couldn't help but almost laugh in a lot of the scenes Sephiroth is featured. His model is higher res and it almost looks like he's wearing black lipstick or something... I don't know, I just thought it looked funny when this dude with flowing hair and lipstick starts standing around with his arms spread, looking to the heavens.

Yeah... uh, someone had his mouth left open in various scenes for some weird reason in the PC port. It's really weird. XD
After watching GDCA yesterday I went and bought Talos Principle right away and holy shit it blew my fucking mind. A good puzzle is one that communicates its ideas very clearly and uninterruptedly, and most of the puzzles I've solved so far in Talos Principle are exactly like that - very short, sweet and extremely on-point. You can hardly ever find any obfuscation or misleading elements that will disrupt your stream of problem solving. If I had to make a comparison between this and Braid, just because they're the only puzzle games I've played recently, I'd say the puzzles in Talos Principle communicate a lot better than those in Braid. Many levels in Braid contain more than one puzzle, and oftentimes you'll find yourself wondering whether a particular element belongs to puzzle A or puzzle B, or if doing an irreversible action in solving puzzle A will render puzzle B unsolvable. Of course you can do trial&error and just go back to the first door to reset the level, but I find that process a bit tedious and meaningless - the time spent redoing a certain course of actions should've been spent thinking about what's next instead. None of that in Talos Principle - each puzzle has its own isolated and confined space and you will never be able to use elements from one puzzle to cheat in another (well if you aren't purposefully looking to exploit glitches anyway).

Fuckin' amazin'.

Edit: also just look at the goddamn visuals man http://store.steampowered.com/app/257510
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=RPGMakerFan98
My PS1 copy of Final Fantasy 7 had 3 discs. While the original PC version has 4 discs.
I found out how many discs the PC version had was on a GameFAQs forum thread.

In my recollection, the PC version was set up so that one disk was the "install" disk, and the other three were the "game" disks. The Might and Magic series also separated it's "install" disks from their "game" disks with it's 6th, 7th, and 8th iteration. Possibly the 9th as well, but, I don't recall many specifics about that game.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I've downloaded Roguelight yesterday. Its freeware, roguelike with gameplay based on light. It has cute graphics, good feel of progress and engaging gameplay.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Cap_H
I've downloaded Roguelight yesterday. Its freeware, roguelike with gameplay based on light. It has cute graphics, good feel of progress and engaging gameplay.

I really like Roguelight! It's simple but elegant.

I'm playing FFXIV (on what, 1000+ hours so far...?), League of Legends... and everything else has fallen to the wayside. FF OP.
Started playing Kingdom Hearts for the twelfth time or something. I'm still in Destiny Islands though.

A funny thing about the excessive tutorial, I once as an experiment handed the controls to my little sister who back then played very little video game and never anything more complicated than Sonic 2. The first thing she asked me was "how do you remove the text box?" The tutorial is useless for anyone who actually needs it. I like the atmosphere of it though. I have still no idea who the mysterious voice is.

Selphie gets the "miss iron skull" award. She has managed to hit her own head with her jump-rope about fifty-eleven times. She then proceeds to do another attack that will end up with her hitting her own head again.

All in all, some good times.
Anyone else remember figuring things out by just jamming every button? (I still do that for some games.) You know, instead of using stupid tutorials to teach you how to move on a map and whatnot. People are getting lazy. (Frankly, it's faster to just press your buttons to learn than to listen to text boxes.)

I find it hilarious when games make all these in-depth tutorials about how to move and what-not but expect you to move to that point to trigger it. Like, I know how to move, asshole! I just moved over here to talk to your dumb face. >.<;

Sorry, just something that annoys me - people not willing to experiment (needing to be told how to do everything) and dumb as fuck tutorials that are redundant by the time you read them. XD
author=Liberty
Anyone else remember figuring things out by just jamming every button? (I still do that for some games.) You know, instead of using stupid tutorials to teach you how to move on a map and whatnot. People are getting lazy. (Frankly, it's faster to just press your buttons to learn than to listen to text boxes.)

I find it hilarious when games make all these in-depth tutorials about how to move and what-not but expect you to move to that point to trigger it. Like, I know how to move, asshole! I just moved over here to talk to your dumb face. >.<;

Sorry, just something that annoys me - people not willing to experiment (needing to be told how to do everything) and dumb as fuck tutorials that are redundant by the time you read them. XD

The thing is, the only time you'd even need to teach the player how to play would be if you deviated from the industry standard. Combat tutorials in RPGs are as stupid as a tutorial for how to aim in an FPS would be.
Yup!
Tutorials should be informing your player as to the differences to other RPGs. Manuals (or readme files) are fine for providing movement and button information, in case someone is completely new to the genre.

Things that should be informed:-
- Where treasures are hidden (if not in chests/everything) - not a necessity. Within the first ten minutes of the game you should establish this anyway, teaching the player what can and cannot hold treasure.
- Differences in battle systems. HP/MP is pretty self-explanatory. You don't need to tell peeps they'll die if HP runs out... except in the case that that doesn't happen.
- Difference in gameplay. Got some on-map gameplay happening that isn't just interacting with objects and walking around? Teach 'em that shit or give them a reason to try interacting/using the right tile/key/whatever (treasure over a 1-tile river spot = player thinking to themselves "can I just this?" and trying.)
- Saving. If your game is different when it comes to saving (and no, I do not mean 'you can save by using the command in the menu' that I went through in a game last night. Seriously. They literally said "This game saves differently. Instead of using a save point, you can save anywhere by using the save option in your menu. Remember to save!"... in an RM game. Yeah, not necessary mate.)
- other differences.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I'm a big fan of tutorials without any words. I try to do that in Account Mu.

There's a technique I love where you lock the player in a zone and you don't let them out until they learn a certain technique.

Edit: The idea behind this is that it removes all the different options, and makes the player go "well I'm stuck here, so there *must* be a way out but I don't have any of these methods I used to think of getting out of a small space... what if I do... this?" but I also like it when little keys pop up like the "A" key above a certain element and that's how you interact with it.

For example if you were teaching a total beginner how to play an RPG, you'd start off in a room, and it'd have a picture of some arrow keys. Then they're like "OK, arrow keys". And then there's a chest that appears in the room, and a "Space Bar" picture above it. Then in their head they'll go, "Ok I need to use space bar on that chest" so they do it. Also I like that style because I don't like reading about information and instructions during a game, I do enough of that at uni. :I
Finally finished The World Ends With You! Man... THAT was a great game, and a great ending too! I like when things end up in a happy note. :)

And now: To find all the secrets in the game until I get tired or until there's no secret left to unravel! Whatever happens first. :P
Please tell me I'm not the only one playing Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines. It's a really solid and addicting dungeon crawler/management game.
If I do, does it have to be true when I say it?
author=kentona
If I do, does it have to be true when I say it?