WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
LockeZ, it's a huge benefit in this case. BS tells a much, much better story than BD because it doesn't try to do the whole ~pretend to be serious so we can then do a deconstruction (surrounded by a horrible-for-the-player's-sanity twist)~ thing, instead telling... a good story, with somewhat goofier characters and less perversion.

also x-2 and 13-2 were both better games than the originals sooooo
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=Craze
also x-2 and 13-2 were both better games than the originals sooooo

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
X-2 was an amazing game that was heads and shoulders over X, sorry to say. The only reason it gets a bad rep is because people don't like the idea of OMG GIRLY FUN TIMES OMG CLOTHES AND HAPPY FUN-FUN OPTIMISM LOL.

It had great gameplay, interesting characters, incredible design and flair, fun, deep world lore, interesting story, meaningful choices and a whole host of other cool stuff. Also, the music was great and boppy and it was an amazing game for the era it was put out in. I wish Square had made more games like it, instead of dull-fantasy 13 and the like.

The reason it worked so well was because 10 had such a dark and edgy (lol) story - it showcased a world building itself back from the ashes and used the optimism of Yuna to help heal the world. Her job wasn't done as soon as the final boss was killed - it showed that it takes time to heal a world from that kind of FF story, and that even if there was a lot of death and destruction, people working together could help fix things. That there was life after everything seemed to have ended - including, yes, bad people still being bad and good people trying to do good.

It was a really, really good game and I'm not joking when I say I like it in all ways over X. Most of the people who say they didn't like it at all usually do so because they think light-hearted means a lesser story OR they didn't like the fact that you were a girl doing feminine things in order to kick ass and save the world again (and heal it). Fact check, stories don't have to be grimdark in order to be meaningful.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Liberty
because10 had such a dark and edgy (lol) story

FFX had a killer setting. I'll fight you over this.

the only reason X gets a bad rep is because people can't deal with the idea of a 17-year-old sports superstar going into a strange world where he has to fight for his life every day and then ACTUALLY ACTING LIKE a 17-year-old sports superstar going into a strange world where he has to fight for his life every day.

author=Liberty
they didn't like the fact that you were a girl doing feminine things in order to kick ass and save the world again (and heal it).

ding ding ding

most tweenage gamers aren't good people yet
Actually, I'm not sure why I hate X so much, I just know that I do. Basically I never had fun playing it, which is weird because the story was...fine, the setting was, as you said, great (I loved a lot of the areas we found ourselves - the lightning plains were amazing, the underwater area at the start, the towns all had a lovely aesthetic, Zanarkand was interesting, the Ronso area was really neat too). I even liked the temple puzzles a lot.

I just hated the game - and it's not even the characters! I love Rikku and Auron and Mr. Ronso himself. I like Yuna and Lulu. Wakka and Tidus I could skip - I found Wakka annoying and Tidus was a bore to me - bland, whiny and basically Vaan... who is also bland and boring. I didn't hate him but he was incredibly meh. The rest of the cast easily overshadowed him.

Thing is, I was right near the end of the story, just past the kiss scene and I just went "Why am I even playing this game? I hate this game. I don't want to play this game anymore."

I have never done that before! I've stopped playing games with the intention of one day going back to them. I've paused playing games and forgotten to get back to them. I've put a game down within 10 minutes of starting. I've never gotten to the end of a game and gone "Why the hell am I playing this game!?"

Thank you FFX for giving me that experience. There's just something about that game that is incredibly meh when compared to the rest of the games in the series, despite all the good that exists in it.

I think part of it is the battle system. Part the villain (the idea of Sin is great, as is the background history of the past characters, but the actual villain, Seymour, should have been retired the first time he died/was beaten). Partly the back-tracking. Partly the lack of side content (were there any side quests bar the temple stuff? Aeons don't count. Blitzball is great but gets boring pretty fast.) It was, when counted as a whole, very bleh.

lemme talk about tidus. I don't find him boring because he's a sports star. I don't find him boring because he's a love interest. i find him boring because he is boring. he's just bland. all he has going for him is that yuna likes him and he has no idea what is going on (which is understandable but so meh) and that he's good at sports (if anyone should have had a ball for a weapon it should have been the guy whose whole life revolved around balls until he got sucked into hell - wakka having a ball as a weapon is stupid considering he grew up in the sin-filled world. that made no sense) I just can't find it in me to care about him as a character, which is sad since he's the main one that you should be caring about.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=Liberty
X-2 was an amazing game that was heads and shoulders over X, sorry to say. The only reason it gets a bad rep is because people don't like the idea of OMG GIRLY FUN TIMES OMG CLOTHES AND HAPPY FUN-FUN OPTIMISM LOL.

It had great gameplay, interesting characters, incredible design and flair, fun, deep world lore, interesting story, meaningful choices and a whole host of other cool stuff. Also, the music was great and boppy and it was an amazing game for the era it was put out in. I wish Square had made more games like it, instead of dull-fantasy 13 and the like.

The reason it worked so well was because 10 had such a dark and edgy (lol) story - it showcased a world building itself back from the ashes and used the optimism of Yuna to help heal the world. Her job wasn't done as soon as the final boss was killed - it showed that it takes time to heal a world from that kind of FF story, and that even if there was a lot of death and destruction, people working together could help fix things. That there was life after everything seemed to have ended - including, yes, bad people still being bad and good people trying to do good.

It was a really, really good game and I'm not joking when I say I like it in all ways over X. Most of the people who say they didn't like it at all usually do so because they think light-hearted means a lesser story OR they didn't like the fact that you were a girl doing feminine things in order to kick ass and save the world again (and heal it). Fact check, stories don't have to be grimdark in order to be meaningful.

The only thing X-2 has going for it is an amazing battle system. Everything else ranges from average to bad with lots of recycling.

I'm really tired of the excuse X-2 was hated because people don't understand/like girly stuff.

There's girly stuff and there's X-2. X-2 craps all over everything X was, that's why I can't like it, just like I can't like any of the FFVII spin-offs for the same reason.

Larger explanation below:
I didn't find any purpose in its story, I found the concept weak and lacking motivation, all was just an excuse to get the party out in the world, not that it's much different from other RPGs in that regard, but other RPGs evolve their story, for me FFX-2 story only got worse with the introduction of new characters (like Leblanc) that never existed in the previous game and which also lacked believable motivations. For me at least.

Having a character that looks like Yuna and has a boyfriend that looks like Tidus is too ridiculous to take seriously.

If the story is only supposed to be light-hearted and not taken too seriously then it's still a stark contrast with FFX, which had a serious story with serious messages.

There was no need for an X sequel.

FFX story had a conclusion.
If they had made a new game in the same style as FFX-2 but not as a sequel to FFX I would have liked it much more. There was no need to do it as a sequel to FFX, they only did it because they had unused resources and some fans complaining they didn't like FFX turn combat and ending.
For me it ruins all that FFX stands for.

Too much change to Yuna in too little time for little reason other than fanservice.
Yuna didn't wear those clothes because that's not the person she is. She was changed for the sequel.

Majora's Mask recycles the graphics of Ocarina of Time and I still loved it, so recycling in itself is not an issue, however I felt the new areas were lacking, like they were rushed to meet the dealine. Not all of them, the basement of Yevon looked good, but other areas looked "unfinished", also the ammount of enemy recolours got tiresome after some time, how many summon recolours does one have to fight? Yeah, rub it in my face how I can no longer use summons *sob*

The game menus looked good though!

Those musics made nothing for me :/
I just don't feel anything when listening to them, and those aren't bad composers, they did some great work on other games, but I really dislike what they did in FFX-2, I only like a couple of tunes, like the title screen music.

I'm actually a huge fan of FFX, that's why I don't like FFX-2, since I feel it changed a lot of the original for worse by adding stuff that didn't happened or existed in the original.

So yeah, I'm a fan of Final Fantasy X.
As far as I'm concerned, FFX-2 did not exist.

JosephSeraph in 3... 2... 1...
author=Liberty

May I suggest a shocking theory? I propose following; the people who didn't like X-2 didn't like it because they didn't have fun playing it. This is in the vast majority of cases the reason people don't like certain games.

Now, the rather big derivation from FF X may have a lot to do with it. There are a lot of popular games that give me the impression they are indeed great games, but I don't even consider getting them because they aren't games for me. I wouldn't enjoy them. Now, a lot of people who enjoyed X may have assumed that they would like X-2, but simple aren't wired in a way that makes X-2 fun for them. However, this still means they simple didn't enjoy X-2.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
@Liberty

I find that FF1-9 have these huge, expansive worlds, airships you control, awesome music, epic scale stories... and then FFX was like being inside a CGI half the time. The areas were often smaller, more constrained, and the world map was a long road. No airship control. It felt... SMALLER. Like comparing Devil May Cry with... I dunno... Angry Birds.
Instead of this sprawling story that crosses a world, we get a game about travelling down a road to the end boss. It was so linear, and bland. I like a lot of what you said about FFX, but as a whole, just meh.
I did finish it, moreso out of completionist insanity... but it was the first game where I had no interest in finding all the collectables, nor grinding levels.
X-2 is a tremendous game and in many ways the high point of the Final Fantasy series. Where FFX is all about the death looming over the world and the resolute quest to stop it, X-2 is about freedom from that overwhelming pressure and what to do with it. Which is space that video games, or even many stories in general don't work in. And for all the talk about choices in videogames it often gets forgotten X-2 has a lot of them, that change the lives of the people of the world in many small and big ways depending on how you react to their efforts to rebuild their lives and find their place. It's fresh. It's fun. It's fascinating. And it is absolutely no less logical or necessary than any other FF game. Also the monster capture system in the HD remake is kickin' rad. Should try to make it through the roguelike tower some day...

Anyway, games. In the recent couple of days I've engaged in a project to play every numbered Touhou game starting from 6, getting up to 8. They're very good shooters but 8, Imperishable Night in particular is just top class, with beautiful music, and very fun bullet pattern gimmicks in the boss battles. Also the final battle features a background of a stock photo of the actual moon landing and how do you even top that

The fighting game (7.5, Immaterial and Missing Power) has some neat ideas but is stupidly arcane.
author=Crystalgate
author=Liberty
May I suggest a shocking theory? I propose following; the people who didn't like X-2 didn't like it because they didn't have fun playing it. This is in the vast majority of cases the reason people don't like certain games.

Now, the rather big derivation from FF X may have a lot to do with it. There are a lot of popular games that give me the impression they are indeed great games, but I don't even consider getting them because they aren't games for me. I wouldn't enjoy them. Now, a lot of people who enjoyed X may have assumed that they would like X-2, but simple aren't wired in a way that makes X-2 fun for them. However, this still means they simple didn't enjoy X-2.

Do you see where I said MOST? As in "There are others who exist outside of that general subset." Yeah.

That aside, Darkest Dungeon is pretty cool. I'm not very good at it yet, but I've only lost one person so far (thankfully not one of my 'crew') although most of them are, um, bordering insane. >.<;
Most means more than 50%. Looking again, you also included a usually which means more often than 50%, so together there's room for your statement to apply to only slightly more than 25%. I don't think that was what you meant though and frankly, slightly more than 25% still sounds like a too high percentage.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
LockeZ: I'll say with confidence that, knowing your tastes and posts, you will find that Bravely Second takes itself exactly seriously enough. It also really doesn't give much of a shit at all, and isn't trying too hard to be a mainline FF game or anything other than it, itself.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled vidya thread.
Craze
i didn't give a shit about spira in ffx. x-2 made me love it.
Playing 10-2 has reminded me of how horrible the flyover country in that game is. I'd be ashamed if I presented some of that shit for anybody for approval except for my dog because dog puke is better than it. I don't think there's anything in the Besaid cave except brown wall textures and the sphere pedestal.

Anyways it's been a while since my last Dark Souls 3 trip update. (mid-late game spoilers)

Last time I was plinking through the Irithyl Dungeon which was basically awful including some 10m break plinking the six or nine or w/e jailers on the bottom floor to death twice. I take back what I said last time, I'd take 3-1 over that turd any day! I also cleaned out and killed Yhorne with Siggy's help (rip Siggy, I'll pour one out for ya!). The front half of Profaned Capital was easy with weaker jailers and simple gargoyles, the back half with toxic swamps and those hand beasts and some NPC jerk was hell. I ended up looking up how to continue Siggy's quest because otherwise I would've missed the broken window you can jump to.

From there I also crotchstabbed the shit out of the pope. Anor Londo was pretty boring which was unfortunate, it's like they took the two most memorable/infamous parts and cut the rest. Aldrich was crotchstabbing again with the obligatory death when the same tell produces a wildly different attack. Also a totally invisible bridge I was told about. I know the DS1 Darkmoon covenant was in the same relative location (bottom of the corkscrew staircase in the right position) but I wasn't going to walk on air to find it on my own.

Dancer of the Boreal Valley was an alright fight, ended up just using a pillar to cheese it near the end though so I could get some healing off and settled for lobbing fireballs. The Consumed King's Garden is one of the hardest places in the game for me, I never got good fighting the Cathedral Knights and Pus of Mans and the 2h Knights would just wreck my shit. I ended up just using my favorite "fuck y'all" Dark Souls technique of running past it all. The boss was a total cakewalk in comparison, Knight's Crossbow'd the first form and crotchstabbed the second.

The Untended Graves was neat. I've always been a sucker for familiar places but darker/vacant/more hostile. Champion Gundy wrecked my shit though, none of my old skillz worked on him and his mighty foot and shoulder tackle of justice. My ultimate gameplan was roll past him when he attacked, hoped he didn't use a certain follow up attack that would basically lead to a 2HKO, and stab him lots. He's by far the hardest boss in the game I've fought.

Lothric Castle hasn't been too bad. The knights and healers are the only real obstacles, the rest is mostly trash mobs that you handle like the rest in the game (carefully and solo if possible, thanks broken poise!). Dragonslayer Armor is an actually fun boss! He doesn't have the same asshole moves as Gundy but you still need to watch and learn his tells and moves but once you do you can go to town on him. The adds are assholes and I died more than once due to a deathball they fired off camera at me though. Dragonslayer and Vordt are the two best bosses of the game so far, and with the endgame approaching that isn't a good sign! I even spent some time sunbro'ing it up to help others with Dragonslayer because he's a fun boss.

By now I've done ~90% of the Grand Archives and some of Archdragon Peak. Only now with 35/20 str/dex is a Refined Corthian Scythe doing better than my raw ASS, and the straight sword's moveset is still better with anything that has quick attacks. I should probably farm for the Dark Blade at some point too. The balance for this game feels like shit, I'm tempted to start another run of DS1 to see if it had the same issues besides poise.

e: Added spoiler tags because whoooops!
Craze
i didn't read that because spoilers but i did really enjoy "From there I also crotchstabbed the shit out of the pope." which stuck out for good reason

i just gave up ori and the blind forest at the ~70% mark because the challenges are now all arbitrary bullshit instead of fun exploration, and the fps dips are fucking everything up. back to stardew valley and dragon quest heroes.

Dark Souls 3 is a dark, gritty, and super serious game about meeting new giant people clad in metal and stabbing the shit out of their crotch. (Sorry! I put it in hide tags so anybody curious about DS3 won't start eyeing my post and glance over spoilers)

To make amends I'll post another one of my super incisive comments about the 10-2: Most of the music is fine to good but holy shit I hate the music that plays during the summon fights. It's a damn racket that goes on for way too long. Also some stuff looks really weird in HD on a crisp computer monitor at a way higher resolution than my old 27" CRT over composite. It makes some animations and some direction in cutscenes look weird, usually closeups.

I'm still having fun with it though. I'm not too terribly far in but this time I'm going to try and experiment more with all the jobs. I ended up with the cheese Dark Knight x2 w/ the class that gets free Mega Potion throwing last time I played way back when. I don't know what I'm going to use yet but I've actually used a Songstress in my run which is new! Also annoying since stuff like Blind or Mute wear off when the dancer's atb charges and enemies love to get a bunch of turns in the lull before the next song/dance starts.

Also Logos has all kinds of style. I wish he was more than just a member of Team Rocket.
Been playing Darkest Dungeon. Thinking about making an RMN run of it since you can do some alterations to the hero types and you can go through people pretty quickly (if you're bad) and constantly have to switch them out for each other.

Fun game, though hard.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Finally beat Misadventures of Tron Bonne.
author=GreatRedSpirit
but holy shit I hate the music that plays during the summon fights. It's a damn racket that goes on for way too long. Also some stuff looks really weird in HD on a crisp computer monitor at a way higher resolution than my old 27" CRT over composite. It makes some animations and some direction in cutscenes look weird, usually closeups.

Ya I used to hate this but I've come around on it somewhat. It conveys "shit is fucked! ALARM ALARM ALARM" pretty well but that makes it a really annoying to thing to actually listen to. I feel like there has to be a better way to do that without just going into sweeping epic melodies and latin chorus territory since that just makes it "oh man this music is awesome!".

Also the HD remake models dropped some of the original facial detail which is a shame and makes some scenes look kind of weird!

Touhou 9 and 9.5! 9 is another weird arcane versus game, this time with the mainline shooter mechanics (mostly). Completely impossible to play well unless you reada up on the minutiae and I hate it. 9.5 though is great, it takes the boss fights from the main series and makes a game entirely out of bite-sized chunks of those with a different victory condition. You have a camera and need to take X pictures with the boss in a clear shot while not dying to the absurd hail of bullets the entire time. Camera shots also clear bullets but have a recharge time so it becomes kind of a puzzle game where you have to figure out the correct openings to take your shots or just YOLO it and marvel at how you didn't die afterwards
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
Finished Uncharted 4. It rules. Go buy it.

About to start up DOOM. It's nice to finally have proper next-gen games on next-gen hardware.