WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
$299
It looks really sleek. I may actually kick myself to buy it, once I got a solid job.
@Suzy My biggest gripe with Dragon's Dogma was how mechanical everything felt. It made exploring the gameworld a chore.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
@Sated,
do you read aars over at Paradoxplaza? There are some really good ones.
I beat Tokyo Mirage Sessions today and I have to say that after pouring nearly one hundred hours into it...I was disappointed in the end. By the end of the game, I wasn't invested in the characters at all (and don't get me started on Barry...), and the final fight was pathetically easy - even on Hard.

I know there's more content in the NG+ but...I'm moving on to Xenoblade Chronicles X. I made a brand new character, and am going to shoot for a 100% run. Though, no lie - I end up dicking around and exploring places well before I should. XD

I dumped 80 hours into the game when I first got it and never got my mechs because I was determined to explore on foot...>_>

So yeah, Xenoblade X is next up for me.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I totally forgot that I promised Xenomic a play-test of Touhou Fantasy! So, uh, that's going to be on my plate pretty soon!
Well, my Pokemon Uranium adventure came to an end of sorts. I mean, there's still technically a few things to catch and do, but they're not programmed into the game yet (or are but cause crashes), so I'll just be content with becoming the Champion, catching the two available legendaries, and having caught every other kind of mon I can catch (not bothering with evolving everyone just to fill out the 'dex).

Good
+ I like a lot of the fan mons.
+ Story actually wasn't bad. It's not amazing or anything, but I enjoyed it more than the story that the first 3 generations had. It's also not that tonally inconsistent with the regular games.
+ Uses the newer mechanic of TMs having infinite uses.
+ The Championship battles being slightly randomized, in addition to actually bringing back a couple of Trainers you fought earlier in the game.
Bad
- Runs poorly/has bugs. Currently relies on unofficial patches for certain things to work right.
- Encounter rate is insane. I mean, I know that Repels exist, but damn dude, give me at least 3 steps...
- Some of the mon designs I didn't care for, or just looked more like Neopets than anything. Others like Sirentyde have good designs, but have bad sprites.
- Related to the above, the sprites outside of battle are also inconsistent in quality.
- The base stats, typings, and movepools of a lot of the mons are kinda bad. Like having a Special-Attack-oriented mon that doesn't learn any strong special attacks of its types, or having a physical tank with a Rock/Ice typing (aka literally any Fighting or Steel move kills it), etc. I guess that's normal for a Pokemon game, though.
- Getting your starter via a quiz with color-coded answers. Just let me pick the guy I want, jeez...
- Level scaling felt a bit too steep. I almost always had to grind before taking on the next Gym, and sometimes had to grind just to survive the trainers on the new route. It doesn't seem like they expected people to try and raise a full party of six.
- The Nuclear pokemon pretty much mandate that a Steel-type be on your team. What's worse, there's very few to choose from. One is the grass starter, another can be caught in an early cave, another is something you can only get from a nighttime-specific event on a certain mid-game route that you can't go back to for the second half of the game, another is a water type in the ocean on your way to the sixth gym, and the last is on Victory Road.
Of these, only the early-cave mon can actually resist the Nuclear attacks. All the other Steel-types will take neutral damage. I honestly can't imagine doing a Nuzlocke of this given the two Nuclear bosses. I mean, I guess the berries that reduce a super-effective hit ONCE could save you, but it still sounds like a hell of a gamble.
- HMs are still a thing, and you get them very slowly. Most painfully, you don't get Fly until after beating all 8 gyms. They even try to joke about the Professor forgetting to give it to you earlier, and your rival's all "man I was running and surfing all over the place it sucked". Yeah, Theo, it did suck. I'm not laughing.
- Related to the above, the map being divided into two sides like Gold/Silver, forcing you to always use the ferry (which costs 500) to get between them, even after you learn Fly.
- Your Item bag becomes a mess as the game goes on. While some compartments auto-organize themselves, others unfortunately do not.
- Minor tone inconsistency in the writing. It's 99% clean, but then has exactly one "damn", "badass", "holy shit", and "God damn" each and all of two "hell"s. I just strikes me as odd to have them at all if they're only going to happen once.
- A lot of the music choices sound pretty bad, like they were pulled from the DS games or something. Thankfully its easy to replace music in an RMXP game...

Despite the Bad section being 3 times as big here, I actually did enjoy myself, and might do a second playthrough eventually. Obviously not for quite a while, though.

author=Liberty
I also appreciate the whole looks like boy/girl/ambiguous option for your character, I would have liked at least the option to pick what you're referred to by aside from the images. I picked the ambiguous image because I don't like to play pretty girly-girly avatars, but then everyone referred to me as 'they' and it felt awkward because I know a lot of people have to go through being misgendered and I felt like I was stepping on their toes by choosing 'their option' so to speak.
Besides, looks don't (or shouldn't) determine gender. If you're going to make that an option, at least allow for people to choose how they're referred as.

Also, I thought it was kinda lazy to keep real pokemon in the game. IDK, where's the fun in making a Pokemon fangame if you're not making up all new Pokemon?
The player is referred to as "they" no matter who you choose. There's just straight up no pronoun programming of any kind.
Also, I can kinda get having a few official mons in there. For one, some of them have new evolutions (I know the Dunsparce and Primape evolutions at least are new), and I also see it as them keeping the official games' tradition of always having previous game mons mixed in with the new ones.
- HMs are still a thing, and you get them very slowly. Most painfully, you don't get Fly until after beating all 8 gyms. They even try to joke about the Professor forgetting to give it to you earlier, and your rival's all "man I was running and surfing all over the place it sucked". Yeah, Theo, it did suck. I'm not laughing.

Ugh, this is the worst. Excusing bad shit in your game by having your game in some way reference what bad shit is in it is no excuse to have bad shit in your game!
author=turkeyDawg
The player is referred to as "they" no matter who you choose. There's just straight up no pronoun programming of any kind.
Also, I can kinda get having a few official mons in there. For one, some of them have new evolutions (I know the Dunsparce and Primape evolutions at least are new), and I also see it as them keeping the official games' tradition of always having previous game mons mixed in with the new ones.

Ah, well that makes me feel a bit better about choosing the middle option, then.

Still think it's lazy and might be one of the reasons they were chased after. Maybe.

I second the graphics for the mons. Some of the designs were great, some of them didn't fit at all or felt like they were taken from a different kind of game, and some of them were just bad when it came to matching up. I know it can be hard to make pokemon and keep it all consistent in style, but I can't help but look at some of them and just ugh. I'll say one thing for RMNmon - the designs are freakin on point and look like they fit. (Bar one or two that are deliberately different).
Yeah, the design and sprites for RMNmon all looked really great.

Still think it's lazy and might be one of the reasons they were chased after. Maybe.

Well, even if it was 100% fan mons, there's still all the ripped sprites/music, and the use of the Pokemon name, so...
That being said, I wonder if Zeta/Omnicron, Epsilon, or Insurrection were ever hit with a C&D, since they apparently have basically all the official mons in one game.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
After playing a grand total of 65 hours in Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, a.k.a one of the best jRPGs ever made and no I'm not kidding, I've decided to move on from postgame stuff for a bit and play Mirror's Edge: Catalyst.

I like that there's an increased emphasis on speed compared to the predecessor - esp. the removal of the ability to fire weapons and the focus shield which protects from enemy attacks while running. I also really appreciate the open-endedness of the game, and the quick changes from, for example, a grimey tunnel to the roof of a high-rise to inside random office buildings to back outside again are pretty impressive.

The weird thing is, though, for a game that encourages you to run as fast as humanly possible, it finds quite a few ways to slow you down to an abrupt halt. Getting into fights with the baddies is always a bit of a downer because you can't do much without slowing down (and it doesn't help that the controls become really sluggish and the camera always off). Also, there's a massive collector's element to this game, which encourages you to stop in the middle of runs because LOOK A CONTROL CHIP.

Overall, though, the game is still a lot of fun, and it's a good ol' fashioned cyberpunk story.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I am very jealous of those people who could play Digimin Story Cyber Sluts. Curse youuuuu!!

Anyway, I need some Dragon Quest V help (DS VERSION) - from anybody other than Kenton.

Basically, I just got TEAM MOM back (the blonde one) so I'm wondering about an endgame team.

I currently use Hero's Dad, Hero, Daughter non-Hero, and a big ass Golem with a meteoric Bracer (he hits so gooood)

I have a Slime Knight waiting in the wings, an Orc King, Man-o-war and the rest isn't worth mentioning.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is BLONDE-MOM worth bringing up to fighting level? Is my team fine as it is? I just want to level as little as possible.

2. I haven't beaten Bjorn yet, and I'm not in Nadiria - but the only place I seem to be able to level everyone with my wagon is right outside Lofty Peaks - is there a better place at this point in the game? Should I ignore my wagon and just level up my main party?
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Just started on Dragon Quest 2 on my phone. Already beat DQ1. Making me nostalgic for RPGMaker. Really wish I had a computer to Mak Gam again.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
You know, several months ago I started a "Let's Punish Ourselves: Dragon Warrior". I should maybe finish that.

author=Dudesoft
Just started on Dragon Quest 2 on my phone. Already beat DQ1. Making me nostalgic for RPGMaker. Really wish I had a computer to Mak Gam again.

You have no computer, or a computer ill-suited to GAM MAK?
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Sated
author=Dudesoft
I beat DQ1 on my phone a while ago. Had DQ2 for ages, but haven't really played it for some reason...

It's pretty good! Has job classes this time.

author=Hexatona
You know, several months ago I started a "Let's Punish Ourselves: Dragon Warrior". I should maybe finish that.

author=Dudesoft

You have no computer, or a computer ill-suited to GAM MAK?

Well, I have a Chromebook 11 for writing purposes because it was on sale. But no actual 'computer'.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
If a chromebook is anything like a netbook, I feel your pain. I've inherited a netbook from someone and the thing struggles with literally every task, no matter how trivial. The only thing it's any good at is downloading things and being storage space.
Envision le me, finally managing to get my mech in Xenoblade Chronicles X, and is excited.

Now, take that vision of me and then make it freak out because he has no clue how to spec his new mech. %_%
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=Punk_Kricket
Envision le me, finally managing to get my mech in Xenoblade Chronicles X, and is excited.

Now, take that vision of me and then make it freak out because he has no clue how to spec his new mech. %_%

EVERY POINT -> LUK

ABSOLUTE FLAWLESS PLAN

1000 VICTORIES