WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=kentona
Nope.

In my experience, fan patches are shit, and always emphasize the wrong thing in classic games.

"It's way better now because all enemies have 4x the HP and we arbitrarily restrict characters so that each one has to be played in a very specific way to be effective!"

So true. I'd much rather play an official patch, or just live with what ever oddities the devs shipped the title with, like the evasion bug.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I can respect that. Although, I will make one exception.

The Earthbound Reshuffler!

Depending on how crazy you wanna go, you can make the game totally new again.
I got an SNES mini and 100%'d Super Metroid over the weekend, then went back to playing Metroid RoS on the bus then listened to a bunch of metroid lets play while at work. I'm now considering replaying Metroid Prime and actually bothering to play through MP2 and MP3 and probably replaying Zero Mission/Fusion.

But I'm actually really shocked at how good Cuphead is.
Cuphead looks supercool but I am genuinely worried that my old eyes will be unable to properly track everything going on on-screen.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I watched a bossrun - it's not that complicated at all. Fun looking.

Also, I always get bored and lost about halfway through Metroid Prime 2
There are some problems with how some hazards are hard to distinguish in the moment. Most things are brightly colored and attacks are telegraphed pretty hard (one literally goes through like 3 smooth poses before actually punching you) butttttttttt some attacks like the pure black "haha!" that comes out of a bosses mouth is for some reason not a threat to my subconcious survival brain.

But despite its difficulty Cuphead has a great level pacing. A section never feels too long enough to go over again and restarting never feels frustrating. I died like 20 times on a particular boss but it for some reason I just kept restarting without dreading anything. You play a boss or a level and thats it, there's no checkpoint you need to reach before losing all your lives and having to do the area before bullshit. It's just beat the level you found on the world map and move on.

Funnily enough I've been playing it with the SNES mini controller.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
as a big fan of cool bosses and platformers and shmups... cuphead just doesn't interest me. i'll watch it, but i just expect more out of my games nowadays than iffy hitboxes and poor damage responsiveness.

the game looks incredible and the soundtrack's terrific, though. they nailed the vision, but i think that carries lackluster mechanics a bit too far.

edit: kinda similar to darken, after beating the etrian odyssey 5 demo, i am waiting for etrian odyssey 5 (two weeks!) by playing the eo1 remake. thinking about grabbing the eo2 remake too. sigh.

also playing RUINER slowly because it's intense and i've been tired. just been mapping forests and reading an fft lp (fft is a terrible game (delita is the only good character))
I'm glad someone else is hyped for Etrian Odyssey 5, so damn hyped! Etrian Odyssey always seemed to unlock important moments of my life for me. Inspired me to make vgm 7 years ago and it broke the ice between my wife and I. My wedding cake was Etrian themed. I've done gone sappy but idc. Love the game. I've been mega blind about what 5 is, I just hope it's not going the same direction as the untolds. (which it seems like it's not)

My wife's birthday is tomorrow and she wants an Etrian themed birthday cake lol.

In news of what I've been playing, Ys 8 for PS4. Ys never fails me, but this one is blowing me away. I love everything about it. Exploration focus, great combat, typical amazing Ys music. Despite a hard personal year, gaming has never been better for me.
Craze
won't spoil anything for you then zds, but no it's nothing like untold except in presentation improvements. it's still a classic crawler, no set party or anything. the demo is the first 3 floors if you wanna get hyped though.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Finally finished the intro of Breath of the Wild. Aaah, it was magical. This game is like Legend of the Colossus!

After a rough start in the eastern abbey, (first time I thought I had to like try to kill that guardian), I wandered around, gathering food and such. Finally, I figured that the other two shrines, I had to go into the cold area. The first time around, I mostly just ran like crazy trying to get to the south shrine - eating like a crazy person, and then having a crazy fight with some goblins over their fire (and trying not to get blown up by the exploding barells) to just stay alive.

Once I figured out that the west shrine was also in the cold area, I realized that strategy wouldn't work again. But it was at that time I found the nearby cook spot - I hadn't figured it out before, and made a fwe dishes - one of which was a super spicy cold resistant thing. Sadly, I had eaten most of the peppers already, so I only had a few minutes of cold protection, so I had to make best use of my time by running, dealing with threats quickly.

Once I got my Parka, I was so happy! If the game stays this engaging the whole time, I'll be playing it for darn near forever.
Glad you're enjoying Breath of Wild! I personally found it that engaging the whole time, hope you do too.
Yeah, the opening area for BotW is the best thing Nintendo has done in ANYTHING for ages. I mean, when I decided to do a second playthrough to get all the shrines (+ see what the game is like when I'm not cheesing it with the broken climbing/gliding mechanics and hyper-detailed map) after having done my first, even though it'd only been a few months, I still loved doing the Plateau.
Been playing Dangan Ronpa v3. I'm really enjoying the cast this time around. At first I thought I didn't like most of them but they've really grown on me. I won't spoil stuff here (because I know Jeroen and others would kill me if they stumbled on it) but I'll just (below spoiler tags) that the cases so far...

..have done a good job at making me question at least one thing or another. The first made me think that I'd gotten the wrong person at times (even though I guessed straight out who and how they'd done the kill).
The second case I had no idea who the culprit was (I only guessed by luck and had a hell of a time trying to prove it was them because I didn't know how the game expected you to parse together it was that person). I had a general idea of how it was done based on the clues and it slotted together fine, but yeah, hard time with the killer.
The third case I kinda guessed who the culprit was...kinda... and the pieces slotted together fine.

It was at this point that I realised all the characters I'd made friends with were the killers. Don't think that gives anything away - like I said, I like all the characters. I wanna make friends with all of them. I just so happened to pick to go after the ones at the time who ended up killing someone, so it was a bit like "Oh, friend!... oh, killer. Damn. Ah! NEW FRIEND! ...fuck. Fine. NEWEST FRIEND!!! GODAMMNIT!"

Now I'm kinda scared to make friends with anyone in case they get killed off. >.<;

I'm only in the fourth chapter thus far (this game is LONG) but I'm very much enjoying it.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I'm jealussss
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Liberty
Been playing Dangan Ronpa v3. I'm really enjoying the cast this time around. At first I thought I didn't like most of them but they've really grown on me. I won't spoil stuff here (because I know Jeroen and others would kill me if they stumbled on it) but I'll just (below spoiler tags) that the cases so far...

..have done a good job at making me question at least one thing or another. The first made me think that I'd gotten the wrong person at times (even though I guessed straight out who and how they'd done the kill).
The second case I had no idea who the culprit was (I only guessed by luck and had a hell of a time trying to prove it was them because I didn't know how the game expected you to parse together it was that person). I had a general idea of how it was done based on the clues and it slotted together fine, but yeah, hard time with the killer.
The third case I kinda guessed who the culprit was...kinda... and the pieces slotted together fine.

It was at this point that I realised all the characters I'd made friends with were the killers. Don't think that gives anything away - like I said, I like all the characters. I wanna make friends with all of them. I just so happened to pick to go after the ones at the time who ended up killing someone, so it was a bit like "Oh, friend!... oh, killer. Damn. Ah! NEW FRIEND! ...fuck. Fine. NEWEST FRIEND!!! GODAMMNIT!"

Now I'm kinda scared to make friends with anyone in case they get killed off. >.<;

I'm only in the fourth chapter thus far (this game is LONG) but I'm very much enjoying it.

I had a hard-time figuring out the killer of the 2nd case too...Totally forgot about the "five minutes in the gym" by then.

I just finished the third case and am loving the game so far, but the third case culprit's motive seems a little weak to me. Can't help but feel there's a bigger story here.
Played Evil Within 2, my local game store didn't even bother to stock up so I had to get it at EB games *shudder*. I only played bits and pieces of the original Evil Within but I didn't really get the appeal, it was an RE4 clone that has a bit of focus on setting up traps and leading enemies into bad situations? But the setting was kind of confusing in a "I don't know what the rules of this world is" and overall the game wasn't scary but idk I don't really get scared of games or media in general.

Evil Within 2 however is a big step up. I'm constantly low on ammo in this game, missing a bullet or not bothering to stealth kill / skip enemies will COST YOU. Low tier enemies felt pretty difficult at the beginning especially in groups and I think they nailed the balance right. This game has a bunch of modern elements (crafting, skill trees, stealth kills, button prompts, side-quests) but they're actually well integrated and don't feel pasted in for the sake of it. Kind of the same as the first game but it just seems more refined and matters more. 8 hours in so far and I think the story makes a lot more sense in terms of what the goal is what consequences are at stake and such. Also the visuals are really interesting. It's a strange sequel in which the first game is merely an above average stepping stone to make a better game.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I'm playing Yakuza 0. I was expecting a gritty, grounded story about a crime syndicate.

There's a disco dancing minigame, and as you rack up points, you charge your "Dance Fever" meter.

This game is pure and beautiful.
Craze
dream daddy

tiding myself over for

on tuesday

i've heard good things about yakuzo 0, seems like my type of humor.