WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Just finished Danganronpa V3 and you could write an essay on that ending...the good AND the bad. Wasn't expecting a less-than-perfect ending from Kodaka tbh but the game as a whole was super. Favourite cast of all three (mainline) games by far.
The first Witcher was made in very dire circumstances of Polish shoestring budget development, it actually went through several revisions before being completed. There is a strange charm to where the story leads and how a lot of the events (based off of slavic myth) are presented imo. But you will not be playing Witcher 1 for a "tight experience" but moreso a glimpse into East-Euro RPGs before CDProjecktRed became much more successful. But I don't think there's a super big need to play the games in order, even the first game does the amnesia trope to void any responsibility into reading the books.
I wanted to play the game because of the colour scheme, of all things (I generally distrust hype). I was really bad at combat, and those blue amphibian dudes kept killing me whenever I ran into a group of them. Overall I didn't particularly enjoy what I played, although I really like Yennefer as a character (more so after reading about the books).

The last thing I did before ditching it was buy all the dick-shaped foods from some brothel in Novigrad.
author=Yellow Magic
Just finished Danganronpa V3 and you could write an essay on that ending...the good AND the bad. Wasn't expecting a less-than-perfect ending from Kodaka tbh but the game as a whole was super. Favourite cast of all three (mainline) games by far.

Yeah, oddly enough the cast grew on me a lot. Granted, I preferred the cast of one a lot more (though the cast of two had a LOT more characterisation poured into all of them since they also got half an anime based on them, so I can see why some like them best), but I did enjoy the cast a lot even when I started out disliking most of them.

...I had a real problem making friends with all the murderers and then facepalming when my new besties got outed. >.<

Witcher 3 doesn't require the other two to play, really. There are some points where you'll miss some of the story based stuff, though (like certain characters and story elements) but it's not shoved in your face so you shouldn't often feel like you don't know what's going on. And you can pretty much surmise a lot of stuff that doesn't get said, too. I played about 1/3 of the second game and a little bit of the first game before I got around to playing the third. Reading the books can help round out some of the details, though, so I suggest that if you really want to know everything.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
man all these ANIMU NERDS

*plays etrian odyssey 5 fervently*
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Started Tengai Makyou Zero, a Super Famicom game that romhack groups have been meaning to translate for 15 years. Notably it has a PLGS (Personalized Live Game System) which means A BUILT IN CLOCK. Apparently it affects stuff like festival events and raising pets and other such mechanisms. Shame I'm going to miss the crane festival which happens today before I can get to the shrine hosting it apparently. The weirdest thing to me is the biorythm thing in the menu that takes your birthdate and tries to predict your well being forward 15 days from the current time. Also this staff page is hilarious.

So far it's a surprisingly smooth RPG, it's straightforward random battle fare but has really cool animations and the balancing isn't super obtuse. In general it feels good to hit things and cast spells and I like that the turn order is immediate (as opposed to the DQ style selecting commands for all your characters and hoping they go in the order). It's pretty cool that there's still new SNES RPGs to play after all these years.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=Darken
Started Tengai Makyou Zero, a Super Famicom game that romhack groups have been meaning to translate for 15 years. Notably it has a PLGS (Personalized Live Game System) which means A BUILT IN CLOCK. Apparently it affects stuff like festival events and raising pets and other such mechanisms. Shame I'm going to miss the crane festival which happens today before I can get to the shrine hosting it apparently. The weirdest thing to me is the biorythm thing in the menu that takes your birthdate and tries to predict your well being forward 15 days from the current time. Also this staff page is hilarious.

So far it's a surprisingly smooth RPG, it's straightforward random battle fare but has really cool animations and the balancing isn't super obtuse. In general it feels good to hit things and cast spells and I like that the turn order is immediate (as opposed to the DQ style selecting commands for all your characters and hoping they go in the order). It's pretty cool that there's still new SNES RPGs to play after all these years.

I'm adding that to my list!

Anyhow - I found a copy of this at the pawn shop
edit: cripes waaay too huge, hidden now

Which is really fun, but also super hard! I don't know how people play this game perfectly...

The game is so zen, though, when you get into a groove of: Run away, Enter room, set up elaborate traps, keep running, just before you leave the room, set of traps, hopefully catch your persuers in it, and repeat.

That was Sai, but his disdain for any game not named Metal Gear Solid is infamous, so it's hard to reliably interpret his gaming experiences with other games.
Mario Odyssey is really good.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Nearly done with Yakuza 0's main story now. It might be the first game I've ever played where the sidequests are the best part. That's not to knock the main story, either: as goofy as the sidequests are, I was surprised that the main story manages to weave a compelling serious story with engaging emotional stakes. It also has excellent pacing, which is something I'm not used to seeing in game stories.
I'm playing Forever Home (not to be confused with Forever's End), an RPG Maker VX Ace game that's on Steam.
Craze
Doki Doki Literature Club in one sitting.

Good game. Surprised me with how good the writing was -- I was expecting something okay, but got something far, far exceeding that.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Craze
Doki Doki Literature Club in one sitting.

Good game. Surprised me with how good the writing was -- I was expecting something okay, but got something far, far exceeding that.
Glad to see this game get a mention! I love how deceptive it is about the whole thing. I feel bad because its façade probably deters a lot of people that might enjoy it, like you have to recommend it by insisting it's not just what it appears to be.

Did you hang out with Monika much? After the, uh, y'know.
Craze
hmmm i mean the steam page description opens with the anxiety clause, the first tag is psychological horror (which is wrong, it's a psychological thriller, but w/e), and the game opens with a more nuanced anxiety disclaimer. it's not hiding what it is. i mean, one of the earliest lines in the game is

which i wouldn't even consider a spoiler. the game has a... facade of having a facade.

i was mostly impressed by how incredibly well it used the VN as a medium for the story -- i double-take'd when i saw that it was made in ren'py, because i assumed it was a spoof made in a different engine because of how much they fucked with how the buttons worked, such as (HUGE FUCKING SPOILER. DO NOT READ OR QUOTE THIS WITHOUT HAVING PLAYED)

how the first time on a playthough the skip button is unlocked when you're waiting for yuri's corpse to decompose over the weekend. also how you can use the history button to read the text that monika fucks with throughout

i'll put my monika answer here, too: as soon as she mentioned the game folder, i deleted her without even advancing that text box. get rekt, bitch

tl;dr doki-doki doesn't hide that it's a gorey thriller, which is part of what augments how incredible the writing is. it could have been an okay experience worth playing through, but it wound up being a tight and polished experience that i will never forget.

also, the couple of references to "determination" were appreciated ;V

edit: did you notice that monika's hair bow makes her hair + face look like a squid. the bow and ribbons are the head and tentacles

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Well, yeah, but apart from the steam description and warnings they put up front so they wouldn't accidentally hurt people, it keeps that facade with a straight face until...well, y'know.

from Craze
did you notice that monika's hair bow makes her hair + face look like a squid. the bow and ribbons are the head and tentacles

I did not, but I appreciate you pointing it out. I'll put my Monika response in spoilers, too:

If you have a couple hours to kill sometime, she actually has some pretty insightful stuff to talk about. She has, like, over 50 different random topics that she won't repeat until she's spent them all. She's secretly the best and most well-developed member of the cast. ;3

AND YEAH THAT YURI THING HOLY FUCKING SHIT

There's also a slightly different final ending if you use saves/loads to hang out with all the girls before Sayori's suicide. ;3 ;3 ;3
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I finished Dragon Quests Swords! yay!

So I started Arc Rise Fantasia on the Wii! It's like... a amateurish budget Tales Of game which shows it's love for you with painfully difficult bosses. you can literally breeze through regular encounters, but god help you if you came into a boss battle slightly unprepared.

Aside from that, I'm enjoying it more than I should. The VAs have only NOW started to actually read their lines right. some things are still confusing. I really like the weapon customization mechanic they added. I'm so far looking forward to the rest.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
ok ok you twisted my arms i'll play facade game