WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Hexatona
ok ok you twisted my arms i'll play facade game
This conversation is already having the intended effect. YES!

Has anyone mentioned yet that this game is free on Steam?
That being Doki Doki Literature Club, the game in question?

'Cuz it is. Free on Steam, that is.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=halibabica
from Hexatona
ok ok you twisted my arms i'll play facade game
This conversation is already having the intended effect. YES!

Has anyone mentioned yet that this game is free on Steam?
That being Doki Doki Literature Club, the game in question?

'Cuz it is. Free on Steam, that is.

Oh Wait - free!? No thanks - uninstalling. I only pay high quality pay-for-money games, like that "Vroom in the Night Sky' or 'Grabbed by the Ghoulies'. Why, I might as well play that disgusting 4chan creation Katawa Shoujo, or that simple 'Song of Saya' if I was going to waste my time with "free games". (Plus, all those micro transactions, eww)

halibabica
from Hexatona
Oh Wait - free!? No thanks - uninstalling. I only pay high quality pay-for-money games
The irony of saying that on this website is staggering.

You can't fool me! Welcome to the club. ;3
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I'm currently playing VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action.

The aesthetics are definitely the best bit of the game. Those PC-98 homage graphics and that fantastic soundtrack...getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

It's unfortunate that the rest of the game has been somewhat meh so far (I'm 7 hours in). In the first couple of hours are so, I felt really immersed in the world of Glitch City...a couple more hours in and while there's some good world building stuff in many places (what a crapsack world these characters live in), there's a lot of unnatural-sounding talk about each other's breasts and past relationships or whatever.

And don't get me started on how bad the gameplay aspect is...I'd much prefer something like Ore no Ryomi 2: The Restaurant, or the follow-up, Cook, Serve, Delicious, where the quality of the actual drinks can vary. At most, all you can really do is either get the order completely wrong, or serve varying quantities of the alcoholic element.

In other news, I just found out that there's a sequel to Cook, Serve, Delicious! So I know what's next on my backlog...
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=Yellow Magic
I'm currently playing VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action.

The aesthetics are definitely the best bit of the game. Those PC-98 homage graphics and that fantastic soundtrack...getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

It's unfortunate that the rest of the game has been somewhat meh so far (I'm 7 hours in). In the first couple of hours are so, I felt really immersed in the world of Glitch City...a couple more hours in and while there's some good world building stuff in many places (what a crapsack world these characters live in), there's a lot of unnatural-sounding talk about each other's breasts and past relationships or whatever.

And don't get me started on how bad the gameplay aspect is...I'd much prefer something like Ore no Ryomi 2: The Restaurant, or the follow-up, Cook, Serve, Delicious, where the quality of the actual drinks can vary. At most, all you can really do is either get the order completely wrong, or serve varying quantities of the alcoholic element.

In other news, I just found out that there's a sequel to Cook, Serve, Delicious! So I know what's next on my backlog...

That game was on my wishlist - good to know I can mostly just ignore it now! which is also a sad moment.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker. The only 3DS game I know of whose title alone is enough to exasperate an unknowing Gamestop employee.

The most noticeable change to the game is the lighter tone. They've definitely eased up on the oppressive atmosphere this time around, and that's thanks to the extra personality given to the characters. Everyone is more willing to crack jokes and mess with each other, and that makes them far more endearing to me than the cast of the first game. I love that the MC has more personality this time around. In the first game, most of the dialogue options you had were just variations of the same overall intent. Now, I can be serious, lighthearted, or a troll to my party members.

As for the gameplay, well... it's more Devil Survivor. Don't get me wrong: Devil Survivor was fantastic, and more of the same isn't a bad thing in this case, but it also had some rough edges that weren't polished this time around.

If anything, some of the changes actually make the game slightly more tedious. Since I have more human characters to choose from earlier in the game, reconfiguring skill sets from a tiny pool of cracked skills every time I wanted to change a human character got tedious fast. I get the intent: the diversity in each human character's stats means more potential strategies, but right now it's more annoying than anything.

Maybe I'm going crazy, but the music in this game sounds oddly quiet, and I'm not talking about the change in instrumentation. The overall volume of the music seems lower than before. The few guitar tracks don't pop out as much, and the sound effects easily drown out everything else. I think I get the idea: the first game had a jarring drop in music volume whenever character's speak, so keeping it at one constant level seems like polish at first. Thing is: there is no voice acting during battle now, so the music doesn't need to be low in the first place outside of cutscenes.

Overall, for every step forward, there's a step back. If you liked the first game, you'll have a good time with this one. That said, I'm only about 6 hours in, so who knows if the game will improve over time?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I started playing Comrades, the multiplayer DLC for FFXV. It's pretty cool so far, and they've made some much-needed changes to combat. For instance, there are no more items, so there's no more pausing and navigating menus in battle.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=Red_Nova
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker.

UGH I'm so mad I can't find this one... it always slips thru my fingers.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
A single copy popped up at a nearby Gamestop for the first time in half a year for only $14. You ever flick a rubber band? That was me launching out of my apartment as soon as I saw the news.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
yeah i've been finding even fairly recent atlus games for really cheap in weird places. i got smt4: apocalypse for like $17ish recently at walmart. i wanna play both desus on 3ds when i can find them kinda cheap... i'd pay full for desu2 but desu1 is only good for that fucking music and gameplay (why are the teen characters so baaadddd)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
If one is going to play a single-player game of Heroes of Might and Magic 3, one may as well do so...

...in the most broken way possible.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS

No way - Town Portal's the way to go.

My wife will just keep getting more and more towns until she finally gets one that will unlock Town Portal.
Marrend
Can't argue there! Town Portal and Dimension Door are both excellent spells for traveling! When it comes to combat, though, Armageddon dealing negative damage is all I need from a Heroes game.

So sue me for cheating to allow that to happen, though.
Yellow Magic
author=Hexatona
That game was on my wishlist - good to know I can mostly just ignore it now! which is also a sad moment.

Oh, I don't think you should ignore it! It's still worth playing for the audio and visuals alone. I'd give the game as a whole 7/10 for that reason, and also the length of the game was mercifully short before getting way too repetitive.

author=Red_Nova
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker. The only 3DS game I know of whose title alone is enough to exasperate an unknowing Gamestop employee.

The most noticeable change to the game is the lighter tone. They've definitely eased up on the oppressive atmosphere this time around, and that's thanks to the extra personality given to the characters. Everyone is more willing to crack jokes and mess with each other, and that makes them far more endearing to me than the cast of the first game. I love that the MC has more personality this time around. In the first game, most of the dialogue options you had were just variations of the same overall intent. Now, I can be serious, lighthearted, or a troll to my party members.

Yeah I'd agree that the game seemed as a whole a bit more light-hearted than DeSu1. Also notable is how in the first game, the characters were all stuck in Tokyo, whereas in the latter, the characters are facing a threat to the whole of Japan, so there's a lot more cooperation between the cities and people within the cities.

Oh and I agree with your point about the skill set configuration being really tedious - I can't say I remember anything about the music sounding quiet. It's been four years since I last played it though...
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=Craze

Played it for a few hours now...

I... (O_O) I think I'm going to go take a shower.
halibabica
WeLcOmE tO tHe ClUb!
Happy thoughts!
Skyrim, and it's a lot smoother than Oblivion (although I liked a lot of things about Oblivion... except Oblivion itself >_<). I've heard there are problems with the game similar to New Vegas where it gradually slows down and freezes because of too much data or whatever, but it's still fun to play knowing that. I did manage to finish New Vegas in spite of the lag but it was tedious.

Sims 3, and the bugs that crash the game are really quite annoying and numerous. Just got a new type of save error...
Marrend
My game of Heroes 3 crashed on me a few times. Though, it appears that a crash was due to a bad configuration of structure factors (ie: what's built in a castle/town). That I can fix with a reconfigure of the offending castle's structures. What I don't quite get was the crash that occurred after beating up an enemy hero when I've only messed with my own heroes.

It's always such a big hassle to hack a Heroes 3 save-file, though, because of how the data constantly shifts location, and how UGE functions. So, rather than try to tackle the save-file again, I played some Heroes 2, and had a blast.
Yellow Magic
I'm back to playing Nier: Automata. This game's set pieces are insane. #VideoGamesAreArt
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has captured my attention. I'm still a bit iffy on the visual change to the character designs but it's growing on me the more I play. Seems like they might've down-scaled the environments a bit compared to Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade X, but it's not a -horrible- thing. They're still plenty big but now the wild life feels a bit more...natural?...in how they're spaced out and grouped.