WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Marrend
My game of Heroes 3 crashed on me a few times. Though, it appears that a crash was due to a bad configuration of structure factors (ie: what's built in a castle/town). That I can fix with a reconfigure of the offending castle's structures. What I don't quite get was the crash that occurred after beating up an enemy hero when I've only messed with my own heroes.

It's always such a big hassle to hack a Heroes 3 save-file, though, because of how the data constantly shifts location, and how UGE functions. So, rather than try to tackle the save-file again, I played some Heroes 2, and had a blast.
Was It the Artifacts Merchants for tower?
author=Punk_Kricket
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has captured my attention. I'm still a bit iffy on the visual change to the character designs but it's growing on me the more I play. Seems like they might've down-scaled the environments a bit compared to Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade X, but it's not a -horrible- thing. They're still plenty big but now the wild life feels a bit more...natural?...in how they're spaced out and grouped.

I have not played the other Xenoblades or much of FF12 and their "open field where the battles also take place in" design. But I do feel kind of annoyed having to do these odd MMO scurryings and getting hit for 6k by something I haven't even got a chance to see. It's just really hard to make out where the enemies are patrolling, which ones will aggro, whats up in the air, how far I need to be etc.

However I am enjoying where the story is going and how it's paced so far. You kind of have to get over the awkward star-ocean like mocap and the weird robotic head tilts. I'm sad to say but I recommend dling the japanese VA because the English VA (although having a good variety of accents) have very flat dialogue at times and some voices just don't fit. With the exception of some character designs (Pyra's massive fucking chest oh my god), I do like the general art direction, I like how clean the textures look on the characters with their glowy elements, the world and its lighting, the goddamn shimmers on the metallic material, and the nice menus really do work for me. Some of the technical flaws especially show on a big 1080p tv but it looks great on handheld so whatever.

I just started Chapter 2 but it's nice to play a modern "evolved" RPG (that isn't a full on action game with numbers) that just came out. But so far I have no fucking clue about the combat, like I'm using up my Arts, timing them correctly to make use of the Cancel bonuses, swapping blades to also use Arts and comboing the Specials or whatever. But I still don't have a confident conception of how this whole fucking thing works, I'm getting through boss fights just fine with whatever I'm doing but the tutorial dump has been pretty overwhelming (even the tutorial text is self aware). It's better than the Xenosaga problem I had where I straight up just did not understand a mechanic needed to defeat a boss but idk man. It's decent so far regardless.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=InfectionFiles
Was It the Artifacts Merchants for tower?

Nope. It was a Conflux town, and it had to do various textures (at a lack of better descriptor) that typically appear when a Town Hall gets upgraded. The fact that the game even stores that in the data is awkward onto itself. I think what I ended up doing was removing them via UGE systematically until it didn't crash, then noticing that I removed them all.

*Edit: Though, as long as you mention Towers, building Mage Guilds via UGE is particularly awkward, with or without a Library. The number of spells that appear on each level of the guild is it's own separate array of variables. So, for example, if a town didn't have a Mage Guild at all, and all you do is "build" a Level 3 guild via UGE without touching that array, you'll visit that town in-game to see that it has no spells whatsoever in it. Such Mage Guilds can still restore MP as normal, but, at that point, it's basically a worse Well.
author=Darken
author=Punk_Kricket
what I said
What you said

I'm on chapter three and there's still a decent bit I'm not understanding - such as the 'idea' levels and how to gain more points, although I don't think we're meant to gain points like crazy cuz the cap looks to be level 10 on any given 'idea'. Or how the Blades are made out of the ideas of the Driver...it's all vague so far but I'm just winging it at this point.

And yeaaaah, I've been one-shot by a few high level mobs so far and I just stare at the screen when it happens. I've been used to it since the first Xenoblade but it was way worse in Xenoblade X where local wild-life almost always viewed you as a snack, and were unafraid to smack you around. I lost a few Skells that way when filling out the map.

Combat is a bit tighter than I expected, which is good, but the characters don't feel like they need to move as much as the last two games. In XCX, position and movement were key. Xenoblade Chronicles was more about buffs/debuffs and setting up your characters to be the best they could be (spike damage from your tanks = cheap victories late game). But this one is allowing for more team composition, and I'm loving it. Beats what XBX did with locking characters into class types and then making them either really good or just so-so.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I finished playing through NieR: Automata today (as in, I got all the major endings). While it was a pretty amazing game overall, it's hard for me to praise every aspect of it, since I kept drawing a lot of comparisons to the previous NieR.

ALERT: END-GAME SPOILERS FOR NIER AUTOMATA AND THE FIRST NIER GAME BELOW.

PROPOSAL: DO NOT CLICK ON THE 'SHOW' TAG UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN ALL THE MAJOR ENDINGS OF BOTH NIER AND NIER AUTOMATA.

-> The whole "feeling sympathy for the beings you're killing" thing...first NieR did that, arguably better.

-> The deleting of your save data bit...I admit I thought it was a pretty novel idea in the first NieR, so I wasn't expecting it to show up in Automata. I guess you could argue it, in a way, made more sense to the player on this occasion (saving an actual human being versus saving a fictional character), but on a philosophical level one can question the point of a sacrifice: If the recipient of a sacrifice themselves becomes a sacrifice, and so on, is there any net gain?

But honestly, my main problem with the whole thing is that it's been done before. By the prequel. So I myself can't find it in me to praise it as a groundbreaking idea.

-> More of a subjective thing maybe, but I felt this time round the emotion was kinda shoehorned in: Esp. with 9S who had this really weird character turn almost BSOD'd after 2B's death (although I liked the twist with the whole 2E thing). I'm still not sure what to make of A2, that character was just weird. Maybe I didn't do enough side-quests.

-> The gameplay was a lot LESS repetitive than the previous NieR...is what I thought until I hit the 20 hour mark (about an hour into the C-D arc). At that point, the action felt very one-note, the enemies weren't interesting and I was basically playing for the story from that point. Oh, and don't get me started on 9S' hacking stuff. That was cool the first couple times, but after that every time I was forced to hack into something, I was like "Come on, really?"

Having written all that, don't get me wrong: I still loved playing NieR: Automata. The setting was beautiful (albeit in a bizarre way), the soundtrack was gorgeous and I loved the transitions between the open-world/side-scroller views. And I REALLY appreciate that the whole multiple-endings thing was handled MUCH better in Automata than the previous NieR.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar

kingdoms and castles is a game about your castle being on fire while your farms are flooding and your citizens have the plague

i can't stop playing it

it's like banished but good and actually a city builder
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Jak 3, going down nostalgia lane! it just came out on PS4 the whole series.
Craze
god i love the jak games. never played the racer though. jak 3 was a Large Part of my teenhood
Im about two thirds of the way through The Evil Within. I like it a lot, but I don't love it. Mechanically its great but the characters aren't as interesting or as entertaining as Mikami's work on Resident Evil 4 and Shadows of the Damned. I can appreciate its more serious (but certainly not more grounded) approach to horror but it doesn't do as much for me as his previous over the top cheesy work did.
They recently released Romancing SaGa 2 on console and PC. So I've started on that. And I've been brushing up on old Fromsoft games. I've been playing Shadow Tower. I also bought a little game on steam called Tormentor x Punisher. TxP is a fun little time waster. If Hotline Miami is the Drive of video games, then TxP is the Ghosts of Mars of video games.

Shadow Tower is quite absorbing, despite the controls being a little clunky. One thing that many see as a detriment to the game, but which I find helps it is he lack of music, it really helps build atmosphere.

Romancing SaGa 2 is everything you'd expect of a SaGa game. The only thing that has really been updated is the map tiles and the aspect ratio which makes everything look a little janky. But it really doesn't take anything away from the experience.
Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, it's fun beyond just the jumpscares and FNAF lore, much better than that.
Zoids Legacy I'm actually hacking the game now

You know: Codebreaker codes stuff

Also Devil Survivor 2 which is also cheatable but what the players can't cheat is the Demon Compendium code to which you can get the BEST DEMONS EVER like Satan and Lucifer also the strongest ones too. i was looking for that code which can be easy. it is unfair for Devil Survivor First when they have some of the codes meanwhile in DS2 they don't have the DC Code.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
@Davie: Are you emulating, or are you playing on a proper DS? If it's emulation, I've had some success creating/finding cheat codes for PCX2 (a PS2 emulator) by using Cheat Engine in conjunction. Maybe the same can work for you?

That CodeTwink doesn't even list either game in it's DS section is a little heartbreaking to me, though.
author=Marrend
@Davie: Are you emulating, or are you playing on a proper DS? If it's emulation, I've had some success creating/finding cheat codes for PCX2 (a PS2 emulator) by using Cheat Engine in conjunction. Maybe the same can work for you?

That CodeTwink doesn't even list either game in it's DS section is a little heartbreaking to me, though.

I'm playing on a Emulator
I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles for the New 3DS.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
I recently replayed Super Metroid for a cousin of mine, just to show her one of the classics of a bygone day. I'm surprised I remembered the game as well as I did, but that didn't stop me from taking over 5 hours to complete it. I only missed 6 pickups along the way. That ain't bad for not having played it in over a decade! 94% is still an A, even if you don't get to see Samus shed her suit. :3

Oh, and here's the plant.

The first time I tried playing original Spelunky was in 2013-2014. I even tried modding it a bit back then, but lost interest, and probably no longer have the files. I briefly tried again a couple of times, but there was still no luck. I re-downloaded it two weeks ago, and finally got to see this yesterday.

I actually first reached the Olmec boss on my second run, but then hovered a bit too high with the jetpack, dropped down, lost the pistol, and then lost the remaining heart to a summoned spider. It took the remaining 194 runs before I managed to set it right.

Earlier on, I also started playing iNetHack2 (the mobile port of NetHack) again, which is what motivated me to try Spelunky again with my new experience. When I first played that last year, I was first going for Archeologists, then Healers, with a brief interlude of Tourists in between, and had the kind of experience you might expect. Now, after 10 or so Healer attempts were met with demise around Mine Town, I tried a Valkyrie, and their power is insane by comparison.

As in, my characters literally went from getting offed by ravens to slicing through ogres and giants with hardly any health lost in the process. It still feels surreal to easily cut down rothes (wombat's big brother that attacks 3 times a turn) when every earlier encounter with them mandated tapping out "Elbereth" indefinitely and throwing whatever is lying around at them until they hopefully expire. For the first time since I started playing this, ascension appears legitimately possible.

True, my first dwarven Woman-at-Arms still left for Valhalla last Monday after she was caught overloaded by Yendorian Captain, the first attempt at pacifism through bribery failed, and I was too tired to think of deploying all the various wands and potions stashed in the bag. Now, I like to think that her sister went down there avenge her, and butchers all the Yendor troops without hesitation. She's recently surpassed her sibling, having reached level 16, and happens to be invisible as well. There's still the ever-present possibility of a loose wand of death in enemies' hands, though, (no magic reflection yet), so best not to get too comfortable.

Lastly, I went back to rmk games with an XP work called Mothlight after seeing it praised on YouTube by LISA fans. It's on itch.io, but not on RMN, and I was wondering if that could be remedied. However, with things like a basic all-enemy spell animation showing nude femme angels oriented towards the player, and the "Gospel" spell being even more suggestive with its "white pillar of light", there's no chance of it getting through our content policy.

Good thing too, because in spite of what I just said, it somehow manages to be the most boring OFFclone I've played yet. It's actually kind of amazing how the dev clearly spent so much time on all the truly unique attack animations, and yet all the enemies behave basically the same (either regular attack or no-damage poison one), your abilities are equally uncomplicated (damage spell that one-shots all the early enemies, weaker group attack spell (Angel one), stronger group attack, stronger one-person "Gospel" and some heals/status spells that are basically useless) and that's on top of balancing so broken said poison attack becomes the only way anyone can harm you once you buy good armor. That this happens in a game where grinding is impossible (all the encounters are hand-placed, do not regenerate, and usually require you to walk up to them and initiate the fight) and you do not level up, instead getting exactly 5 more health every time you beat a boss, is equally incredible. Meanwhile, the story has been incredibly predictable and unambiguous so far. The only reason I am finishing this is to see if it'll manage a twist of any kind, or actually stay as flat as it is now.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Kingdoms of Amaluar. I remember my brother playing it on his PS3 before it broke.
Didn't see a PS4 version out for him, but its' on PC.
Replaying Dark Souls 3 on Xbone so I can try out the 2 DLC expansions with a fresh character.

Playing through Metroid: Samus Returns as well.

Enjoying them both.
Craze
benos
Kingdoms of Amaluar. I remember my brother playing it on his PS3 before it broke.
Didn't see a PS4 version out for him, but its' on PC.

what a weird game. it's fun to play but the difficulty is bizarrely low, and some of the 'open world' elements are half-baked. i enjoyed the handful of hours i spent toying around though.

currently playing danganronpa: trigger happy havoc. case 2 image spoiler:

i laughed my fucking ass off at