WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

@Bluefeathr42:

Cool, I'll check that out.

I Should Probably Have Just Made A Let's Play FF8 Thread
Got Doomtrain (easily my favorite summon animation so far), who did not really play a part when I finally beat Bahamut at the deep sea research lab. Triple + Meteor. Works wonders. I had no Meteor going in but I was able to draw a good 60 or so from the second Ruby Dragon this time around, once Cerberus helped me get everyone hasted, shelled, and regen'd. I've made this harder on myself than it needed to be definitely, since I insisted on having Rinoa (Leviathan) and Quistis (Jadis Shiva, Cerberus) in the party and neither of them has HP-J, hence their HP is about a quarter of the rest of the party's, who all have 100 Regens junctioned to HP. They were some very squishy wizardesses but I made it through anyhow.

Edit: On my first play through of FF8 I completely missed that there were Chocobos in the game AT ALL. On this second playthrough like 16 years later or whatever, I was aware of Chocobos since I hit the 3rd disc, but I've chosen to completely ignore them (as I've been completely ignoring Triple Triad).
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=StormCrow
I Should Probably Have Just Made A Let's Play FF8 Thread

Seems a little late for it now, but, might not have been a bad idea. I would've supported it, for what that's worth.

Anyway, I'm at an awkward moment when I reference my own written LP of Suikoden 3 for the location of a character (Landis).
author=Marrend
Anyway, I'm at an awkward moment when I reference my own written LP of Suikoden 3 for the location of a character (Landis).

Hey at least you know your own writing, probably much more convenient than referencing an online walkthrough or gamefaqs where at least 25% of the time you have no idea what the author is talking about or what they're trying to convey.

I've parked FF8 (final comment: FUCK THE FUCKING LIAR ROCKS) and the Ragnarok just outside of Lunatic Pandora, and gotten behind the wheel of FFVI for the fourth or fifth time.

I will beat FFVI this time, I will beat FFVI this time, I will beat FFVI this time...(also I might have tried LockeZ' MUD, not that I'd ever give him the satisfaction of admitting that publicly oh shit what did I just do-
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=StormCrow
Edit: On my first play through of FF8 I completely missed that there were Chocobos in the game AT ALL. On this second playthrough like 16 years later or whatever, I was aware of Chocobos since I hit the 3rd disc, but I've chosen to completely ignore them (as I've been completely ignoring Triple Triad).

Oh snap that's a good point. I'm on Disc 2 and no sign of chocobos yet..

PS ignoring Triple Triad!! Were you not using Card Mod?

Marrend
Suikoden 3
I did manage to get Landis, but he wasn't in the place where I found him in my LP. It was actually the other place I mentioned. I wonder if it's literally random (might be possible, considering), or if it's somehow based off of which side you enter the dungeon from. I don't recall what I did during the LP, but this time, I was definitely on the Chisha side before I went back to the other side, was like "Okay, where, exactly is this idiot?", and next fight, BOOM, he's there.

Geeze.

Final Fantasy 8
I'm at the front gate of Ultimecia's Castle. Squall, Quistis, and Rinoa are gonna head the assault, with Zell, Irvine, and Selphie bringing up the rear.

*Edit: For what it's worth, I think I tried a few games of Triple Triad on my first play of FF8, but never since. When I saw Terta Master in FF9, I noped so hard on that. Blitzball from FF10 has slowly fell out of favor, but, I remember liking that mini-game, at least.
Today I played some Submerged and it's all about taking screenshots of it.

And then I made space for Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and remembered to take a couple of screenshots.
Marrend
I've finished FF8 maybe a couple days ago, and I've been hacking away on Suikoden 3 quite a bit. I'm up to Thomas' Chapter 2 there. It's probably going to be on the quick side, as there's no recruits there. However, I really think I need to put that aside, and pick something else up. Maybe do a written LP of it? I dunno.
Switched to RE4 for my spooky playing habits. Such a great game to replay, Leon's quips are more funnier this time around and I really do appreciate the tactical feel the movement has. Everyone complains about the tankish controls but there's something deliberate about the movements that I like. It makes things like dodging projectiles matter more or doing a 180 quick turn after gaining some distance. You really have to pay attention to the range the enemies have on you and the loopable areas the level design provides so that you always have an area to take advantage of.

Playing this on an HDTV on my Wii U. Tried the PC version but holding up the wiimote to aim the cursor feels so much more right.
author=Yellow Magic
author=StormCrow
Oh snap that's a good point. I'm on Disc 2 and no sign of chocobos yet..

PS ignoring Triple Triad!! Were you not using Card Mod?

Oh, I used Card Mod alright. I just didn't get the Card command or play triple triad. But when cards came my way, I modded 'em. I modded 'em good. (I lost my Ifrit card to the asshole who owns the tavern in Dollet one of the two times I played Triple Triad, so I couldn't turn it into 3 Elem-Atks, beat him on the next go. I just sold all my cards that weren't OP. That was to get Occult Fan No. 2 when I was trying to "do the Doomtrain questline" like you might do a questline in Skyrim, and before I realized that it was broken forever by the disappearance of the Master Fisherman by Disc 3.)

Embarrassed to say that I lost the Siege on Narshe three consecutive times last night. Considering it's essentially a marathon of ATB battles and I have spent countless hours balancing ATB battles I expect better of myself. I never remember losing it before when I was younger. I think it's because I tried to adopt an offensive strategy this time. I was really amped up on the idea of Mifune Cyan wanting revenge for his MURDERED FAMILY (DARK! by the way).

But a defensive strategy seems basically required to win that battle (although I'm sure there's youtube videos of much better players than me essentially just clipping up to Kefka and one-hitting him, or whatever else).

Anyone else fine with Gau mimicking the abilities of every other monster but has their suspension of disbelief, even in this over-the-top milieu, shattered by his ability to become just fucking become a mech ("quick Morty, turn into a car!")?
Beat the second Divine Beast in Breath of the Wild just now. Game's a blast so far, Daruk's prolly my fav character <3
My PS3 has, it would seem, bricked itself. One moment it was fine, the next moment it started to incessantly freeze every time I tried to log in.

My sixty hour FF8 save and the 60 hours of my life it represents are gone, and I am pretty sure I will never find out how that game ends, at least by playing it, because no way do I have the patience to go through that experience a third time (don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game at all). Guess that's what I deserve for saying "oh, I'll beat this later". The 12 hours into FFVI (PS1 Final Fantasy anthology disc, if you were curious) save I had is less of an issue. If I look around online, someone should probably have a save-state around the point where I left off so I should be able to pick the game back up in an emulator. I hope.

I might try to take my PS3 to a local shop and see if anything is recoverable when I get a chance, but I'm less hopeful about that.
This is why memory cards are best...

...or at least, multiple saves on multiple memory cards. Also, you should be able to find a FF8 save somewhere online that is near where you lost your data, right? Granted, it won't be personalised to your specs for the characters but it doesn't take much to juggle some GFs around.
Yeah, but the last time I tried to emulate FF8 my computer literally almost melted and did actually run so hot it had a fairly catastrophic crash. PSX emulation is very chancy.

Playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (first time, first Castlevania game for me really), it feels more than a little like a 2D Souls game to me (this is a good thing) and replaying FFVII currently. On my PS4 which is (knock wood) alive and well.
@Stormcrow

Damn! That has yet to happen to me with a game. Mostly it happens to me when I'm at work and our multi bajillion dollar AutoCAD server thing goes down right when I try to save the file I'm working on...
I've got my old computer set up as an emu machine, and I loaded an N64 and a dreamcast emulator on it but I'm hesitant to try it.
So I'm playing Final Fantasy VII for my first time since I was a teenager but actually that's not true because I replayed it one summer when I was in COLLEGE I think so I have no idea how this got past me that SECOND time, maybe I just wasn't paying attention:

Hojo was actually no BS for real trying to breed Red XIII and Aerith. They've got a mad scientist eagerly attempting to get a dog-lion monster thingy to rape a helpless woman so they can have babies.

Excuse me, censors? Explain the thought process behind getting from "son of a submariner!" in the VERY LAST INSTALLMENT to having NO PROBLEM with this. Then explain the thought process behind why I have to see marvel comics symbol gibberish on my screen and we can't just have Barrett say "MOTHERFUCKER!" (you've no idea how badly I want to hear Barrett say "MOTHERFUCKER!") BUT BESTIALITY IS A OKAY as long as it's only heavily, heavily, heavily implied. (RIGHT THERE ON THE SCREEN you can see Red quivering with excitement for the act, although he later explains he was only acting so he could catch Hojo off guard. Speaking of Hojo I am suddenly really emotionally invested in him not surviving this game. It's a shame FF games aren't the kinds of games that give a player any kind of agency in that kind of thing.)

When I was 13 I adorably and naively assumed that the implied threat everyone was so upset about was that Red was going to y'know, just savage her to death. Something wholesome and innocent like that.

Also, fridge Logic...why did Hojo let his specimen keep multiple materia equipped whilst in the specimen holding tank?
Marrend
This play of Suikoden 3 shouldn't be much longer. I picked up Legend of Dragoon sometime after my last post here, and have had a decent run of it, I think.

I had a run of nostalgia some time ago, and the thought occurred to me to play an old Might and Magic title, and LP it. I don't think it would be Secret of the Inner Sanctum. One, there is literally nothing interesting to show (the graphics are bare minimum, trust me), and two... I still have no clue how to actually beat the thing. Though I suppose I could find some kind of walkthrough on the interwebs, which I could not do in the late-80's!

That aside, if I really go through with this idea, I'm more inclined to Gates to Another World, or World of Xeen.
Playing me some Super Mario Galaxy. Found out I could pair my wiimote with my laptop's bluetooth thingy and decided to put on some emulated wii games for a 1080p spin. Goddamn it looks good. Even with some low res artifacts not designed for upresing, the game feels so good with its vast backgrounds.

I mean I know I'm late to the "yo check out Dolphin" party but I'm sucked into beating SMG1 again.
Darken
Found out I could pair my wiimote with my laptop's bluetooth thingy and decided to put on some emulated wii games for a 1080p spin.

Shit, I never realized that this would be possible.

I might need to check that out in the future so I can get some Wii stuff up and running. Wouldn't mind being able to do some Wii Golf again.
Yeah, Dolphin has a detected bluetooth mode for detecting wii motes. Only thing to consider is getting a sensor bar and finding a way to power it, I hilariously use my Wii U, put it in wii mode and just leave it on purely to have the sensor bar going. Though I'm sure there are alternatives like the Dolphin Bar.
NieR: Automata. Fucking amazing game, that is all <333