RPG MAKER MV OR MZ?? OR LATEST? BEST TO USE?

Pages: 1
So, since I've been thinking of making a new game (it's yet another fangame, this time a Hololive fangame, for those curious), and am not sure which engine I want to go with. I don't think I want to go with 2k3 again, even though it's what I know, but I also know that the price of MV/MZ are pretty high (about $70-100 on Steam, I missed the sales on those sadly...). Are those best to go with or...??
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
Go for MZ for the faster option, really. Considering that it's also the latest in the line, it would have more updates unless they decide to release another one next year (i don't know, i'm no prophet).
Depends on your reliance on plugins. In my opinion the MV has much more unique and better plugins to offer.
However, I recommend the MZ, too. Overall it is the better RPG Maker.
MZ is iirc 1.7.0 as of now. Meaning it had 7 major updates since launch. It was already a considerable improvement over MV at launch, but with each major update bringing in new features, it's imo the best RPG Maker has ever been. Which is, to say... Obviously not perfect. But really good.

It also has the best plugin library*, and the experience of Eventing on MZ is especially awesome when considering that plugins can extend eventing functionality through the new Plugin Command event -- which just as it sounds allows plugin developers to create new Event Commands.

This, added to the amazing Visustella library -- eventing with rm2k3 Maniacs Patch is pretty awesome, but eventing with MZ and Visustella Events and Movements Core is even moreso. (And it's one of their Sample Project plugins)

Also people complain that Visustella Plugins are expensive but that's only if you're a completionist. Vanilla MZ + Events & Move Core just blows the competition, the paid plugins are more for convenience than really needed.

Just make sure to learn a bit of JavaScript and dig around in the console if you wanna make complex evented systems. Knowing how to call event commands with code can help you a lot.

*in my subjective experience, which differs from some others like the poster above. But never has a plugin library been as cohesive and committed to updating and bugfixing as the Visustella MZ plugin library, with plugins designed for maximum compatibility building upon the knowledge of previous iterations of plugins and scripts. And that's not getting into the other developers, which offer all sorts of development solutions and user experiences.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I never had MV, but, I had a good enough experience with MZ during it's welcoming event that I went ahead and bought it. I've since made a few games with it since.

The games I've made in MZ haven't needed any of Visustella's MZ suite of plugins, but, I also tend to make shorter games recently. At the very least, games made in the context of an event, and those tend to want to have short development cycles, and therefore, more compact experiences.
So MZ it shall be once it's on sale again (though from what I hear, you can't use it if Steam is offline, right??). I'm not sure how long this game will be right now (hopefully nowhere near as long as Touhou Fantasy was lol...I have it split into 7 chapters + Prologue), and been working on ideas for it (for example, a branching skill system where you can dump points into specific stats/abilities/etc. to power them up and can move points around as needed, only gained from leveling up).

If I get MZ at some point, will probably be back here to ask for help with the game, if people are willing to help with that. I haven't touched any RPG Makers in I think 5 years (whenever Touhou Fantasy was released), so I might be out of the loop on things. Also would help to have help in general, which is something I wish I had asked before with other things with TF lol. Don't know how many Hololive fans there are here, but the more, the merrier!
author=Xenomic
So MZ it shall be once it's on sale again (though from what I hear, you can't use it if Steam is offline, right??). I'm not sure how long this game will be right now (hopefully nowhere near as long as Touhou Fantasy was lol...I have it split into 7 chapters + Prologue), and been working on ideas for it (for example, a branching skill system where you can dump points into specific stats/abilities/etc. to power them up and can move points around as needed, only gained from leveling up).

If I get MZ at some point, will probably be back here to ask for help with the game, if people are willing to help with that. I haven't touched any RPG Makers in I think 5 years (whenever Touhou Fantasy was released), so I might be out of the loop on things. Also would help to have help in general, which is something I wish I had asked before with other things with TF lol. Don't know how many Hololive fans there are here, but the more, the merrier!

Why not RPG PAPER NAKER. Free at freeware, but if user wanna sell their games at currency, then not free.
author=EgyLynx
RPG PAPER NAKER.

It sounds like DUKE NUDEM
I've been using MZ for my latest project of two years and it's pretty hard to see me going back to Ace after this. A lot of the early uproar about MZ came from MV developers who didn't see it as a significant upgrade. And yes, that might have been the case a year or two ago, but nowadays there's little reason to return to MV unless you're very reliant on plugins.

But always remember that, regardless of engine, you don't need as many plugins as you think you do.
Reminds me of how bloated I made the previous game lol. I remember LockeZ and others telling me I didn't need a lot of things, but I went ahead with it anyways to give the game flavor. I mean...it has FLAVOR, but took 11 1/2 years to finish so...don't want to do THAT again lol. I'd like to finish this game (if I ever start it) before people graduate from Hololive and whatnot for once. ^^;
So a question, since MZ is currently on sale, can it use the same things that MV does or is it completely different from MV? I may start a WIP Project page soon for what I have in mind for my next game (been a long time, hasn't it?), and may be looking for people who are willing to help an old man get the game done at a reasonable time lol.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
They both use some form of Java, so there might be some amount of backwards compatibility. However, the difference between the two might be similar to attempting to compare, say, VX systems versus Ace systems.
Hmm...I see, though MV has more support than MZ, I hear, yes? In regards to say...sprites and mapping and stuff, would it be the same? I'm sure the coding isn't exactly the same at all.
Well, I got MV since it was on sale for $12 and the resources I have for the game I want to make are all for MV. I may need to ask for help from time to time, if people are willing to help an old codger with programming and stuff. ^^;
I'd recommend MZ, simply for the "Preview Move Route" feature. Saves a lot of bother replaying cutscenes over and over again trying to get things right.
I would've gone for MZ, had it not been as expensive as it is (and right now, I'm kinda lacking in funds hue), and whether or not the resources I'm using would've worked with it at all (they're stated to work with MV, that's all I know!). I'm also trying to not go TOO crazy with ideas like I did with my previous game. There shouldn't be THAT many custom things happening either. I'll probably start posting up the game ideas in a blog at some point soon, and maybe people can let me know how feasible it would be in MV for the time being lol? ^^;;
Nevermind, I got MZ too so I have both MV and MZ. But yeah, how much does MZ use from MV in terms of resources??

EDIT - Ok, so looking between the two, it seems that MV might actually be more viable to go with that MZ. However, I think I'll keep MZ around for the future, and if anything, it'll be fun to see how different the engine does things in comparison to MV for videos or whatnot. Sure, it's $43 I spent on something I probably won't use, but ya know!
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
MV is better for newcomers because it has a far better RTP. (default assets) It also doesn't require a lot of set-up to get things right like with MZ's awful animation system that practically requires that you import the MV animations if you don't want to have a bad time. Also, MZ has a very limited plugin selection to MV, and the program that made MV plugins compatible with MZ (Fossil MZ) has been delisted. MV is also more stable from the front end and is less prone to crashes and weird glitches/oddities like MZ is. MZ also has terrible UI more focused on mobile than a standard PC experience and has a lot more required loading screens than MV does. I've heard from a few plugin devs that MV's internal code is very messy compared to MZ's, but from the perspective of a game developer and not a plugin dev, MV runs a lot smoother than MZ both developing and playing games. There's also the incredible Luna Engine, which is only usable with MV and not MZ. Luna Engine costs $35, but offers near-limitless UI customization while MZ's closest thing is SRD's free UI Maker program, which isn't nearly as robust as Luna Engine. So yeah, MV>MZ any time of the week. But that's just my perspective. Most people seem to disagree and think MZ is better.
Pages: 1