RMN3 CHANGES (EVERYONE READ)

WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
RMN3

I've talked a long time about RMN3 and what it fixes and so forth. This is the post that explains what you should be seeing in a month's time.

The big reveal: the Game Release forum is being deleted in its entirety. Review threads, advertising threads, and tutorials/articles will no longer be allowed on the forums.

Now that you have read that, you are probably wondering why. It'll be hard to explain. Users will lose the ability to create immediate threads about their game. What they gain out of this, however, is far more.

• Custom pages for your game to show any information that pertains to your game. As an example, you can create a special characters page that lists all your game characters with bios and images. Each custom page has a special URL for it to easily link to.
  • Customization of your game page. You will be able to customize the look of all the pages for your game. That includes your blog, image gallery, download page, and custom pages.
  • Manage the people on your game team. You will be able to give other people access to your game.
  • Game testers are also part of the game team. You will be able to add testers to your game. You will be able to mark special downloads for your game as "tester versions" and they will be able to see these.
  • Faster and simpler tools to manage your game. The control panel has been redone to be faster and give you all game access in a single place.

Now you are thinking, "Oh that's great, but now my game will be lost with the other thousand games on the site". And that would be accurate. It would get lost very quickly.

The game list has been redone to "bump" the most recently updated games to the top, working like a forum topic in that regard. To update your game, you simply add content to it. A new image, video, download, or blog post will bump your game. Active games will naturally float to the top of the list.

As well as that, game subscriptions are back and actually work this time around. When you subscribe to a game, you will automatically be notified when they are updated. You can customize your subscriptions to denote what updates you want to be informed about: images, reviews, etc.

The purpose behind these changes, is to get games back as the center of attention. A forum post is easily lost. If you find a person's game on RMN3, you will have every possible bit of information posted on it.

It is a large risk removing the one forum that typically defines these community sites. But myself and the other RMN admins feel that this is the way things should be done. I am very excited for RMN3 to come out, because I feel it is a way to progress the community into something better.

There are still some other things in RMN3 that aren't related to this. Later this month, I'll detail everything.

RMN3 has been canceled.
*raises hand*

I know we've already talked about this WIP, but here's a question for the masses, how will people conduct discussion and feedback on their games?

The big reveal: the Game Release forum is being deleted in its entirety. Review threads, advertising threads, and tutorials/articles will no longer be allowed on the forums.

also fix this
I'm glad we've collectively decided to take a "risk" with how RMN can expand and progress. This idea was pretty frightening to me initially (I hated it, actually!), but WIP's quite surprisingly convinced me that it's for the better. I hope everyone else can shove aside old stereotypes and can see how this can lead to an ultimately more productive community. <3

Edit: Okay maybe not that collectively.
I think it sounds phenomenal WIP.
You already know how I feel about this.

I'm just waiting around for the drama. Don't mind me. =)
Pretty risky, but in the end it will be better for it. What is the use of these nifty game pages if no one goes to them? This will, I think, put more of a focus on them and give people reasons to update it.

I can see where some problems could arise though, such as getting people to check out your game page. Despite the fact it floats to the top when updated, some people might not like sifting through game pages to find interesting games!

Although I like the idea, I am feeling pretty conflicted! It will be for the better though I think.
YAY! What i've been waiting for all day. Anyway, sounds good and the idea of a game team sounds awesome.

With all the game release threads, articles etc gone does that mean we won't be having the release something days anymore?
author=demondestiny link=topic=2801.msg53288#msg53288 date=1230794636
YAY! What i've been waiting for all day. Anyway, sounds good and the idea of a game team sounds awesome.

With all the game release threads, articles etc gone does that mean we won't be having the release something days anymore?

You could just announce it in the general discussion or something.
I'm sure that it doesn't.

Also!
author=WIP link=topic=2801.msg53282#msg53282 date=1230793841
The game list has been redone to "bump" the most recently updated games to the top, working like a forum topic in that regard. To update your game, you simply add content to it. A new image, video, download, or blog post will bump your game. Active games will naturally float to the top of the list.
Fond as I am of the idea, this is the only issue I see being problematic. Plenty of members can just as easily (even more-so, in fact) abuse this than they can hype their own game topics. I hope you plan on being reasonable on what's allowed, if any limitations are to be put in place.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
No. Fail. Put it back the way it was.

I will give this exactly one month of leeway once it starts and if it isn't working fucking 10000x better than the current system...YOU'RE FIRED, BUSTER BROWN.
I just love being the opposite opinion of the entire community.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Natook link=topic=2801.msg53297#msg53297 date=1230795911
I just love being the opposite opinion of the entire community.

I could probably list one hundred and one reasons why this is a bad terrible idea if I put my enormous brain and ridiculously embarassing glut of free time to the task, but why bother? Really, why bother? Let it run its course, we'll see what happens, I'm 99.9999% sure there's no chance of changing WIP's mind anyway.

I'll admit that I'm on board with the idea even though I was completely opposed to it the first time I heard it, partly because everyone knows their options whether it works out or not. If it succeeds, then great, onwards to a new era, but if he doesn't (and I know WIP hated when I said this) then everyone can/will leave RMN en masse to a different community or create their own to start anew, leaving WIP and his site alone with his dick in his hand. Sounds harsh, but it is what it is and I make no apologies for that statement.

Personally, I really do believe the idea has potential, but it isn't the end of the world or the game making community if this completely and utterly fails.
Neat. I'm curious to how this'll turn out.

I'd assume the RS Release Thread will be links to the game page instead of the current forum posts with game info. There'll be no discusison thread as that's supposed to take place on the game pages.
I'm hardly the person to say this definitively, but considering that the Game Discussion forum does still exist to discuss amateur games in general, there will still be discussion threads for events like RS and PS. Having the discussion divided between all of the individual game pages wouldn't work and sort of defeats the purpose.
author=Max McGee link=topic=2801.msg53295#msg53295 date=1230795241
No. Fail. Put it back the way it was.

I will give this exactly one month of leeway once it starts and if it isn't working fucking 10000x better than the current system...YOU'RE FIRED, BUSTER BROWN.

People posting inane comments (and...occasionally...semi-useful feedback) and bumping their threads with non-existent updates?

I mean, I'm not promising this will be better, but there's already assloads of issues with the current 'system'.
Okay I posted this elsewhere but it belongs here too:

Part of the problem is the same most places have; we're mostly a community of developers. Developers who give "high quality" feedback and are making their own projects.

We should focus less on thread and long reviews and more on getting PLAYERS recruited. The new RMN3 focus announced today where games will be featured not in vague threads is a great opportunity for us to make this site 2 sided:

1. The developers who make the games, share ideas, help each other, and converse
2. The players who play the games, hopefully talk about their experiences, and converse

The biggest "motivation" for any developer is really people saying "Hey, I played your game and want to see more!"

One can say a true sign of success is really if the audience enjoys it, not if your group of peers does. World of Warcraft is highly criticized by other MMO developers for being simple and not bring much new to the table, but you can NOT argue with the insane success they've had, showing that just because the experts think you're dull or unoriginal it doesn't mean that the audience agrees. *cough*moviecritics*cough*

Seeing what kinds of people don't like and do like your games can also help you judge what you're doing at a higher level. Are only the fanatics and masochists interested in your titles while the casual gamer gives up after 5 minutes? There are lessons from experience that theory and talking just won't give you.
I love this. I'm more likely to read a comprehensive home page (more or less) on a game than read a thread on it. The presentation on a home page is more likely to be good. And I can't wait to see what sort of ambitious things some vaporware makers will conjure up on the pages. I have a feeling that the best-looking pages will have the least game on them.

So my advice to those who make a good game. Put some effort into the advertising that is the games page :)

Two questions:
I haven't had a game page here so I don't know what already exists but what kind of statistics are available? Download counts? Pageviews? Something like that? It would be very nice but completely inessential obviously.

The other question is the game subscription, does it have an RSS-feed so that you could, if you wanted to, subscribe to updates and have them on a personal RSS-readerthingie.
author=WIP link=topic=2801.msg53282#msg53282 date=1230793841
Now you are thinking, "Oh that's great, but now my game will be lost with the other thousand games on the site". And that would be accurate. It would get lost very quickly.
You should also think about the more popular games that don't get updated as often (or at all) ???.

author=Feldschlacht IV link=topic=2801.msg53302#msg53302 date=1230797969
I'll admit that I'm on board with the idea even though I was completely opposed to it the first time I heard it, partly because everyone knows their options whether it works out or not. If it succeeds, then great, onwards to a new era, but if he doesn't (and I know WIP hated when I said this) then everyone can/will leave RMN en masse to a different community or create their own to start anew, leaving WIP and his site alone with his dick in his hand. Sounds harsh, but it is what it is and I make no apologies for that statement.

Personally, I really do believe the idea has potential, but it isn't the end of the world or the game making community if this completely and utterly fails.

Wouldn't there be anyway WIP could backup the topics that are in game disucssion and if all fails just add them back into the forum.

But i don't think it will matter. Most members here seem to like the idea.