BIG DEAL: WHY ARE THERE SO FEW GAME REVIEWS?

Pages: first 1234 next last
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Last night I switched game ratings back to being based on reviews and noticed something terrible.

There are only about 220 reviews, while there are over 900 submitted games. What's the big deal? People always want to have others tell them what they thought about their game, but don't seem to want to do the same for other people.

I find this to be a big issue. I excuse myself because I haven't ever made a real game and have to code this site and actual game engines. Yeah it's kind of "holier than thou" but I'm sticking to it!

So is there something we can do to help out people to review games?
Most games aren't worth giving a good review to.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
We wouldn't know what games are good until we've played them. Asalieri used to be willing to review any game that was thrown at him. Don't know what happened with that, but it seemed like a step in the right direction.

Maybe we should do something like what GW is doing with their new mainsite: have submitted games be reviewed by site staff before being posted. This way, each game would have at least one review. Finding people willing to do this is another problem altogether, though...
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
That won't work, halibabica. RMN gets a large amount of game submissions that would quickly overwhelm the staff.

The reason reviews were made to disjointed from the site's hierarchy was so this sort of problem wouldn't occur, but that doesn't seem as though it has worked. Everybody wants a review, but doesn't want to give one.
New rule: Anyone who reviews a game and posts in RS! discussion threads must also submit that post as a review for that game!

C'mon, it'll take like 15 mins to copy & paste your comments into a review.
WIP
Just did some number crunching.

Number of approved games: 520
Number of games with downloads: 336 (64%)
Number of games with reviews: 129 (24%)
Ok, because of this thread, I have decided I will reopen my Review Request shop, and start reviewing games again. I just need to find that thread...
I really like writting reviews! I get my little notepad out and jot away as I play. But, alas, I really have no time lately. Any time I do have goes to lurking here and working on my own.

But you are right, If I ever except feedback on mine, I should at least contribute more reviews. I have only written two.
Yikes, you're right man. You know what, you've given me a new idea with the upcoming Play Something!. If you're interesting in finding out more, PM me about me.
There are a number of reasons this occurs.

1 - Finding a review from RMN's database is highly annoying.

2 - How many of the 900 are unplayable garbage like DOOMS 3?

3 - People simply forget to post their impressions on the game's review page.

I have a small suggestion; do with it what you will.

A review hotlink. Essentially each member should be allowed to put in a small code that display a little button. The little button will link to his game's review page... Though such a feature might be useless in RMN3.

An alphabetized list would be nice too.
I agree with Kentona. The amount of solid reviews that are written on RS days is huge. All members have to do is copy and paste it into a review.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I would have plenty of 'review material' if plain ol' notes are okay. For an example of what I mean, check out my post on this page of a RRR thread:

http://www.rpgrevolution.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=22853&view=findpost&p=255097

When I play games, I have no motivation to review them in some fancy format but I do often take notes.
author=Erave link=topic=2816.msg53818#msg53818 date=1231029182
Too many games.

I fail to see how this is a problem. Surely you can just randomly choose some? I speak for myself first as I haven't really been doing much RM gaming since the first Play Something! thing.
author=ZPE link=topic=2816.msg53840#msg53840 date=1231040363
author=Erave link=topic=2816.msg53818#msg53818 date=1231029182
Too many games.

I fail to see how this is a problem. Surely you can just randomly choose some? I speak for myself first as I haven't really been doing much RM gaming since the first Play Something! thing.

That, sir, is a sin, sir.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
I don't think this is the kind of problem that would resolve itself. Although WIP said having the staff review submitted games would be too difficult, it seems like the only cover-all solution. Otherwise, the Release and Play Something! Days keep things interesting and generate reviews. But, unless a more organized effort is made, reviews will continue to go unsubmitted and ratingless games will persist.

Whatever happened to the Great Purge? Maybe that should be revived and the reviewin' stuff should be part of it.
Isn't this what the contributors are supposed to be for or maybe RMN should have a new usergroup. Call them reviewers.
Contributors were primarily called upon to provide site content, including reviews. There won't be a new group.
Pages: first 1234 next last