BIG DEAL: WHY ARE THERE SO FEW GAME REVIEWS?

Reviewers? No... just no...

However, it would be nice to see a few more contributors writing reviews.
I plan to do more reviews on other people's games. Was going to start a thread for it later tonight actually. (And by that I mean a thread where people can ask me to review their games and demos)
author=Sam link=topic=2816.msg53915#msg53915 date=1231089329
I plan to do more reviews on other people's games. Was going to start a thread for it later tonight actually. (And by that I mean a thread where people can ask me to review their games and demos)

The only problem with those threads are, you get the same bunch of people asking. Probably the best thing to do is scout the database yourself and find some hidden gems no one has reviewed yet.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
author=Little Wing Guy link=topic=2816.msg53923#msg53923 date=1231094866
The only problem with those threads are, you get the same bunch of people asking. Probably the best thing to do is scout the database yourself and find some hidden gems no one has reviewed yet.

That's the essence of the problem. If we can't review the stuff we already have and can't even keep up with the new things being submitted, what's the point of even trying? I haven't looked at Ausfhart's thread yet, but a more organized solution is needed for such a large-scale "problem."

EDIT: Yeah, that's about the best we can do for the moment. Just keep up those RS!Ds and PS!Ds.
author=Feldschlacht IV link=topic=2816.msg53913#msg53913 date=1231088730
*attempt at a solution*

yeah i'll try and get some good reviews up.
Hey, I wrote a review to Legend of Shenja.

I bet you there is nobody on the site that would have ever reviewed it otherwise.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I noticed you did, brandon. Thanks.
author=brandonabley link=topic=2816.msg54066#msg54066 date=1231175452
Hey, I wrote a review to Legend of Shenja.

I bet you there is nobody on the site that would have ever reviewed it otherwise.

Ha, because of your review I downloaded and played it - not a bad game. I might write some more reviews myself if I get the time.
We might also advocate brevity and succinctness in reviews? I think a lot of people think a review for a game has to be a big thing with tons of microcategories and analyses of graphics/story/sound/etc. Not only is that a lot of work to write, but it usually isn't worth reading thoroughly. In most cases you can say more with less. I think a lot of people prefer 500 words or less that can get the point across without taking a long time to read.

It is actually a big deal for me to admit this if any of you are familiar with the reviews I used to write at brandonabley.com :(
I agree, fuck categories. Just write what you think about the game overall. I'm actually finding it easier to write a review without worrying too much on professional IGN/Gamespot-like structure.
author=Darken link=topic=2816.msg54080#msg54080 date=1231181732
I agree, fuck categories. Just write what you think about the game overall. I'm actually finding it easier to write a review without worrying too much on professional IGN/Gamespot-like structure.

You may notice sites like that *don't* micro-categorize like reviewers here do. They always have a single, uninterrupted monologue describing the game in whatever terms the critic pleases to. IGN reviews in particular tend to get a little too long though (10,000 words or something for GTA 4).
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=brandonabley link=topic=2816.msg54068#msg54068 date=1231177130
I also reviewed Versus Xerza. 8)

Oh man I have to read this. Why didn't you tell meeeeeeee?

The fact that I haven't been on AIM recently notwithstanding.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=Nightblade link=topic=2816.msg53811#msg53811 date=1231022249
2 - How many of the 900 are unplayable garbage like DOOMS 3?
Considering I review (by review I mean accept/deny) the vast majority of the games before they appear I can say there's a ton. I've actually started rejecting certain games that have such poor quality that I don't feel they're a worthy addition to the site.

If we enforce higher game submission standards for RMN3, I think that overall we'll find higher review submission levels.
I'm doing my best to help this, erhm, "crysis" with my game review thread.
Hm. How about we have an 'unloved' section on the new site? Press a button and a random game with low/no reviews pops up for the review hungry out there?

Or a review competition? One day to review as many games as you can. ^.^
author=Magi link=topic=2816.msg54171#msg54171 date=1231216277
Considering I review the vast majority of the games before they appear I can say there's a ton. I've actually started rejecting certain games that have such poor quality that I don't feel they're a worthy addition to the site.

If we enforce higher game submission standards for RMN3, I think that overall we'll find higher review submission levels.

Off the top of your head, do you have any suggestions?
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=Nightblade link=topic=2816.msg54187#msg54187 date=1231227729
author=Magi link=topic=2816.msg54171#msg54171 date=1231216277
Considering I review the vast majority of the games before they appear I can say there's a ton. I've actually started rejecting certain games that have such poor quality that I don't feel they're a worthy addition to the site.

Off the top of your head, do you have any suggestions?
Yeah, I just approved a game recently called Eternal Star that might be worth checking out. It has a demo, but is canceled.