WORDS YOU KNOW, BUT DON'T KNOW THE MEANING OF

Pages: first 123 next last
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Do any of you have any words that you know and use, but were never really sure of what they meant? Sometimes I catch myself using something in a similar context to where I first heard it without having any clue as to what it means.

For me, one such word was "pretentious." After I looked it up today, I found out it means being too showy.

So, got any words you thought you knew but really didn't?

Use this link to dictionary.com, just in case you come up with some. Learn something new, maybe!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
hahahahaaha. I love how everyone in this community uses the word pretentious without knowing what it means. : ) Don't worry, halibabica, you are not alone.

Anyway I am the lord high magus of vocabulary and there are no words I don't know the meaning of. Scientific/technical jargon notwithstanding.

Stop being a pretentious, Max.

Magus
1. (sometimes lowercase) one of the Magi.
2. (lowercase) a magician, sorcerer, or astrologer.
3. (sometimes lowercase) a Zoroastrian priest.

You are none of these.
Anathema

1. to be formally set apart,
2. banished, exiled, excommunicated or
3. denounced, sometimes accursed
4. a literary term

I still remember when some guy named Legion at GW gave me "bonus" points for using it in a post. Can't remember what it was directed at, though...
Max McGee
Brandon:

I am (2.) of vocabulary. I challenge anyone to stump me on a word's meaning without using outside resources. Just anything you can come up with off the top of your head.
Chagrin

1. disquietude or distress of mind caused by humiliation, disappointment, or failure

...actually, I had a good sense of what this meant. What I do have is trouble pronouncing it, because I never heard it, only read it. I have a tendency to transpose the g and r in my mind to get "chargin" CHAR-gyn. Weird, I know.
author=Max McGee link=topic=3022.msg58866#msg58866 date=1233170924
Brandon:

I am (2.) of vocabulary. I challenge anyone to stump me on a word's meaning without using outside resources. Just anything you can come up with off the top of your head.

Well . . .

There is nothing magical about having a large vocabulary. It just means you are a bigger, fatter loser than us cool kids. Also that you probably read more often. So you are still using it incorrectly!
Max McGee
Ignorance is awesome you guys.

I guess the MAGI were pretty big, fat losers too, huh, with their knowledge of MAGIC and ASTROLOGY?

Anything can be magical depending on its level of quality. The ability to fill out forms can be magical if you have perfected it to an art form. This is what we call bureaucromancy.

I feel the same about my diction.

It is not my fault you hate wizards, don't be so mean.
RMN
1. Real Men Network
2. No girls allowed

I never felt so betrayed.
Max McGee
author=Darken link=topic=3022.msg58875#msg58875 date=1233171270
RMN
1. Real Men Network
2. No girls allowed

I never felt so betrayed.

HOMOGENEOUS!
Squabbling

1. A noisy quarrel, usually about a trivial matter.
2. brandonabley and Max McGee
Max McGee
Mad Squabbles.
augur
1. one of a group of ancient Roman officials charged with observing and interpreting omens for guidance in public affairs.

Sweet. I knew the meaning of this word from bad fantasy novels (fortune-teller) but not where it originally came from. Also, it can be used as a verb: To augur future events.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
author=Max McGee link=topic=3022.msg58857#msg58857 date=1233170388
hahahahaaha. I love how everyone in this community uses the word pretentious without knowing what it means. : ) Don't worry, halibabica, you are not alone.

Anyway I am the lord high magus of vocabulary and there are no words I don't know the meaning of. Scientific/technical jargon notwithstanding.
author=brandonabley link=topic=3022.msg58860#msg58860 date=1233170683
Stop being a pretentious, Max.

Magus
1. (sometimes lowercase) one of the Magi.
2. (lowercase) a magician, sorcerer, or astrologer.
3. (sometimes lowercase) a Zoroastrian priest.

You are none of these.

He's metaphorically a magus of vocabulary.

And, yes, I know what metaphorically means.
"Much to my chagrin, the petty squabbling of the RMN memberbase is an anathema to me."
Max McGee
There has not been one word mentioned in this topic I was even uncertain of the meaning of, just to prove my point.

Also, when I said that I was the lord high magus of vocabulary, I was more using hyperbole than I was being metaphorical.
Adscititious.

Musculade.

Paramnesia.

Transpicuous.

Erotesis.

Do it.
author=halibabica link=topic=3022.msg58881#msg58881 date=1233171449
And, yes, I know what metaphorically means.
To spice up dull writing, use metaphors!

DULL: Detective Jack Greyson opened the door to the killer's apartment.

BETTER: Detective Jack Greyson opened the door to the killer's apartment and a metaphor chopped off his head.
Could someone explain this concept of masturbation to me. It always seem to come up but I have no idea what it is.
There's two that I sort of know and don't know:

1) Chautauqua (Maybe Canuck can explain this one to me?)

2) Succinct (I sort of know what it means, but not quite.)

I could look these up, but I like hearing people try to explain things.
Pages: first 123 next last