HELP

Pages: 1
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
I've got to know something. Is it possible to code on XP the way of Chrono Trigger? Like the battles that they had? Also, is there an actual place that may have the scripts that they used on the game?
That's near impossible!
It is possible (Anything is possible in RM), but That would surely take a while to make and I've never seen anyone even start trying to make it yet.
You mean like an ATB system, or battles taking place on the map with area attacks? If the former, it's very possible. Custom ATB systems are rarely good, however, and XP's DBS is perfectly fine.
The latter MIGHT be possible with a LOT of coding, but it just wouldn't be worth it. You generally shouldn't be taking inspiration from Chrono Trigger anyway.
Thiamor
You mean like an ATB system, or battles taking place on the map with area attacks? If the former, it's very possible. Custom ATB systems are rarely good, however, and XP's DBS is perfectly fine.
The latter MIGHT be possible with a LOT of coding, but it just wouldn't be worth it. You generally shouldn't be taking inspiration from Chrono Trigger anyway.

People take inspiration from almost -EVERY- game. At least I'm taking it from a good game, and not from some lame one. Anyone have anything -beneficial- to say regarding my question?
Well, basically what they're saying is that RPG maker just isn't suited to making a battle system like Chrono Trigger's. Which sucks because it's awesome.

The point is that it is not worth the trouble and you should reconsider your design. Some limitations of the system are just too painful to work around and spending so much effort to overcome them is project-and-motivation-destroying
Originality and creativity beats all.
author=Thiamor link=topic=3041.msg59578#msg59578 date=1233351276

People take inspiration from almost -EVERY- game. At least I'm taking it from a good game, and not from some lame one. Anyone have anything -beneficial- to say regarding my question?
Getting a bit defensive there, aren't we?
I don't want to turn this into a flamewar over whether or not Chrono Trigger is a good game, but you should really come up with your OWN ideas. No, you can't make Chrono Trigger-esque battles in RM without a metric shit-ton of coding.
Can it be done? Yes.
Is there a script already for it? No.
Will there be one? Probably not.
Will there be one that lets me do it without RGSS? No.
Can you do it? Right now no, but if you learned how XP or VX works and learn to program well yes.

It would be hellish to do this with just events, but with RGSS I could do it pretty easily if I wanted to. (More easily than some other things I've seen done/done.) Actually a maker named ccoa was working on a combat system like this for one of her projects and had it completed and usable.

However it would take a lot of custom sprite-work (unless you're using rips...) and you might want to consider ways to make something as fun and interesting without having so much overhead.

Having to find efficient ways to do something cool and interesting is part of being a hobbyist game-maker since we don't have huge budgets and teams. :)

Also, I like CT too Thiamor, just ignore people who needlessly insult it, no need to feed the fire. :)
Thiamor
I've my own game with an original plot and such as well though, which is still in the shop. It is based on this online game I play. Text based. Well, most of it is original then. It bases everything off of user created characters from the game I play. I choose which to add, and intertwine their stories into my main plot. The online game is called Hiddenworld. The plot starts off with 8 characters standing in a dark screen, and you choose which one to start first. You play through each of them one by one, learning a bit about them, and to see that each character is seen in each other characters back story arc. Well, it first starts out showing each of them together, facing off against the last boss, then a big blast happens and it goes to the character selection screen. Like showing the past and showing what led up to what you had seen. There are like many secret characters. Almost every character that helps you, even by talking, is a secret character. One guy is named Leon, who helps you get into an ancient city, that, on the Devil Moon, flies high into the sky and destroys the society. The Devil Moon is also used to mark when the strong monsters will be out, so you can level up more and gain special techniques. This game uses a timer, that is like 24 hours to us, but really on there, is like 30 minutes or so of playing. So every 3 or so hours, the Devil moon appears. Well, Leon is strong, and uses Grey Magic. The Mix between White and Black. He has a Skill called Black Omen, that absorbs HP and MP, lowers your defense, Magic defensive, speed and so on. It hurts the person and absorbs HP, so it doubles the damage. Works best when Leon is around 25-30% health..well, if he had like 1 HP left, it will do a great amount. There is a part where you build onto an airship and add what you want to it as well. There will be an Auto Pilot setting, where it will take you over head of places that you wish to go, but, you have to visit it first, or go onto it's database and add coordinates and see if it will work.
Pages: 1