CUSTOM GAME ENGINE

Pages: 1
Hey I just wanted to show off a custom Designed Game engine I am working on using C++ and SDL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGG0DbOrGJo&feature=channel_page

kentona
I am tired of Earth. These people. I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives.
You should give us some details, and maybe a bit of history! Looks interesting, anyway.
I don't really think theres any need to make custom engines, since using rmxp/vx you can pretty much do whatever the heck you want to do.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Well it looks pretty good anyway. Though it might get annoying not having a cursor and all.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=Aten link=topic=3149.msg61906#msg61906 date=1234700131
I don't really think theres any need to make custom engines, since using rmxp/vx you can pretty much do whatever the heck you want to do.
Unless you wanted good performance out of your hardware.
author=WIP link=topic=3149.msg61931#msg61931 date=1234724261
Unless you wanted good performance out of your hardware.
This, and last time I checked you can't use 3d graphics in rmxp/vx.

Custom engines, or at least open-source ones that you can customize, are the way to go.
Or he's just as interested in learning how to program a game engine as he is in making games themselves.
After a certain point, there's no real benefit to using RMXP/VX. I'm as in favor of middleware as the next guy, but if you're using fewer of the built-in features than you are customized ones, you're just wasting resources to even have the ability to do those other things.
Wow, a guy wants to show off his game engine, and it turns into an argument between XP/VX vs other game engines...

It looks sweet dude. A cursor would be a great addition, and maybe better gravity effects (so that when you drop a ball from higher up, it bounces higher the first few times). C++ you say? Tricky stuff!
Hey, that's pretty cool looking! Got a couple of questions for you, though:

1) What's the number of parallax backgrounds you can have? I remember the sheer depth effect one could have on the old Super Nintendo.

2) What's the maximum color depth of the engine? It looks 16-bit, but I could be wrong.

3) Is this a full engine, including map, character, and event editor? Or is it more of a map editor with a scripting language built in? OR is it more of a library?

4) What kind of collision detection does it utilize? Pixel or bounding box?

5) What kind of audio support are you building in there?

Heh, sorry to flood you with questions, but I've always found game engine development to be so fascinating. :)
Pages: 1